OCT '09-MWL GROUP-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!&

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:56 pm

debbie wrote:Do you use the cronometer? Maybe I need to do that, so I can get an idea of how much I am really eating.
Thanks again.

Deb

I use the Cron-o-Meter periodically so that I get a realistic idea of what I’m doing. I was actually interested in how much protein and other vitamins/minerals I was getting on my little Mary’s Mini plan. I was reassured after running it through the Cron-o-meter.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Debbie,
All those plates look like delicious McDougall meals to me. I lost 150 pounds last year without exercising and my plates of food were usually piled higher than that. Here are some examples.

But, because I weighed 500 pounds my Basal Metabolic Rate was 3023 calories per day. Now that I’ve lost 150 pounds my BMR as dropped to 2326 calories per day and my weight loss slowed down a bit. So I started looking for ways to tighten up my program. It was easier for me to find ways to cut calories then to burn more calories so that’s what I focused on. You will have to decide for yourself if you want to find ways to cut calories or burn more calories or if you want to keep doing the same thing and lose weight very slowly.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby cowgirrlup » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:18 pm

I do have some days where I eat what seems like mass quantities of food. I mean I use a big tupperware type bowl and eat several bowls of food during the day, plus snacks...even though it still worries me a tiny bit, I know if its MWL foods it is OK. It will all even out or adjust in a few days. Some days I am just really hungry I guess.

I mean I still have that old diet mentality that if I am full, I am: eating too much, a pig, a loser, I have blown my diet...whatever, we all have our own particular thing we torment ourselves with...but experience has told me that if its MWL or at the very least MCD food, its all good.

If you're hungry, eat! hard for us to do, but its ok, eat!
:D
WE can do this!
I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long.

The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
cowgirrlup

Postby cowgirrlup » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm

I want to give big hugs and many big and heartfelt Thank you's to everyone on this board for supporting me and offering me suggestions and empathy during my recent 8 pound weight gain from my meds.

I love you all!

I worked out a deal with my local pharmacy and they are selling me the old meds at a price of $10 for 90 days of pills. We all think it was the change of manufacturer that I was forced to take by using me pharmacy benefits. My medical insurance insisted that I use the meds by mail or they would charge me a huge price for the meds. So I tried that and I got sick..different manufacturer means a different formula and I am very allergic to a lot of the dyes and fillers used in meds.

When I told my local pharmacy, they immediately typed into my account on their computer to sell me a certain brand (my old brand) at the $10 price and to bypass my insurance.

I have my fingers crossed that we are correct in what the problem is and I just wanted to thank everyone and to let you know about the pharmacy benefit that I worked out privately..if it worked for me, I'm sure it would work for you if you ever need it.

WE can do this.

cowgirrlup

Postby rebecca » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Deb,
I just wanted to let you know that I eat 6 times a day. The mini meals work for me. I eat every 2 to3 hours while awake. When I started in August I ate what seemed like a ton of food. Now I seem to get fuller with less.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone here on this thread. :)
rebecca

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:56 pm

debbie wrote: I think I have figured it out. Well hopfully I have, time will tell. I am going to do a type of portion control. Not the normal kind, just to try and not eat sooo much at one time.

Deb

Hi Debbie,
Dr. McDougall doesn’t recommend that you eat less. He recommends that you select less calorie concentrated foods, eat more uncooked food, eat until you’re satisfied, graze, restrict variety, allow time for digestion, chew foods thoroughly, and that you exercise. Why not try to follow his recommendations 100% for a while and see if you don’t get better results.

You need to eat starches like beans, potatoes, and rice to feel satisfied, but increasing your consumption of the following veggies should reduce your overall calorie intake.

Cucumber (13 calories per cup)
Lettuce ( 14 calories per cup)
Celery (19 calories per cup)
Bell Peppers (24 calories per cup)
Cauliflower (28 calories per cup)
Mushrooms (31 calories per cup)
Cabbage (33 calories per cup)
Zucchini (36 calories per cup)
Yellow Summer Squash (36 calories per cup)
Tomatoes (37 calories per cup)
Collards, kale, chard, & spinach (40 calories per cup)
Broccoli (43 calories per cup)
Green beans (43 calories per cup)

You can reduce the calorie concentration of your favorite MWL recipes by adding more of these low calorie veggies.

For example, you can add a few handfuls of baby spinach to almost any soup, stew, or one dish meal. In a simple curry recipe calling for beans and potatoes, you can reduce the calories by substituting half the beans and potatoes with cauliflower. I’ve made chili with mushrooms, carrots, and celery added to reduce the calorie concentration. I wanted to reduce the amount of oats I was eating so I started cooking them with a diced zucchini so I could eat the same volume of hot cooked oats for breakfast for fewer calories. I’m sure you can come up with lots more way to eat the same volume of food and still consume fewer calories.

Best wishes.
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby cowgirrlup » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:13 pm

rebecca wrote:Hi Deb,
I just wanted to let you know that I eat 6 times a day. The mini meals work for me. I eat every 2 to3 hours while awake. When I started in August I ate what seemed like a ton of food. Now I seem to get fuller with less.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone here on this thread. :)

Me, too. Except on my few weird days ...I have a few days a month where I eat a few HUGE meals ...but usually 5 or 6 small meals works best for me, too. :D

I have no idea why I still have a few "bottomless pit" days.. :lol: , but its all ok as long as its MWL food.

WE can do this.

cowgirrlup

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:08 am

LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 76 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

Good morning all - I guess many people are in much cooler weather. Even down here we'll have a high in the 60's today! Thank you, mairead11 for the totals of everyone's weight losses. Great job, all! And Letha, thanks for all of your examples and explanations. We all really appreciate it. I think that your approach helps all of us. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Letha.. » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:32 am

LauraA wrote:And Letha, thanks for all of your examples and explanations. We all really appreciate it. I think that your approach helps all of us. Take care, LauraA

I’m glad to help, but I can’t really take credit for the approach. I’m a devotee of Dr. McDougall & the MWL book. I sleep with that book under my pillow. :)

I'm on plan and planning to stay that way. I'm still doing the brown rice Mary's Mini thing. All is well in my world. I'll check back tomorrow.
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby cowgirrlup » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:45 am

On plan. :D

WE can do this.

cowgirrlup

Postby MaryW » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Another weight loss tip from the good doctor. I seem to remember reading/hearing him say that you should eat your veggies before your starch so you fill up on less. I think this may have been on one of the videos. Does anyone else remember this? it makes sense, cuz you fill up on the lower calorie dense foods before you get too many of the higher density starches. But you are still full and satisfied.

I couldn't possibly stop eating when I was still hungry! Occasionally due to my own stupidity or lack of planning, I go hungry cuz I don't have food with me. But if I have cooked a big pot of rice and veggies or roasted a big pan of taters, there is no way I could eat a little bit and walk away! I am definitely a volume eater (hence my pants size). I like to feel full after I eat. With highly processed SAD food, it took quite a bit to fill me up. But with McD food, I get full on much less. Which is a good thing!
MaryW

Postby Eppy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi All...I just want you to know that I am still here and on the program. I have lost another 4 pounds since I last posted. I will try and post this Thursday. I have been so terribly busy and online very little, but I am still doing well.

I hope the rest of you are all doing well too!!!!
Eppy

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Eppy wrote:Hi All...I just want you to know that I am still here and on the program. I have lost another 4 pounds since I last posted. I will try and post this Thursday. I have been so terribly busy and online very little, but I am still doing well.

I hope the rest of you are all doing well too!!!!

Hi Eppy - glad to hear from you, and glad that you are doing so well. Your weight loss is great! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Interesting meals

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi all - today we took my visiting daughter to downtown Savannah for a carriage ride, then later to a local Seafood Festival. I knew that eating wouldn't be right for me, so I took a thermos of soup downtown, and ate it while the others ate sandwiches. Then, I had a bowl of soup right before the Seafood Festival, and another bowl after we got home. My entire day of eating was steel cut oats - 8 am, yellow split pea soup - noon, kate soup - 4 PM, Paul's two cup veggie soup - 8PM. I think that this would be great on nutrition. I was full all day, and it was a great way to eat! I may repeat it tomorrow. What do you think? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Interesting meals

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi all - today we took my visiting daughter to downtown Savannah for a carriage ride, then later to a local Seafood Festival. I knew that eating wouldn't be right for me, so I took a thermos of soup downtown, and ate it while the others ate sandwiches. Then, I had a bowl of soup right before the Seafood Festival, and another bowl after we got home. My entire day of eating was steel cut oats - 8 am, yellow split pea soup - noon, kate soup - 4 PM, Paul's two cup veggie soup - 8PM. I think that this would be great on nutrition. I was full all day, and it was a great way to eat! I may repeat it tomorrow. What do you think? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program