OK, what i am having today.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: OK, what i am having today.

Postby Janey1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:07 am

Chickpeas! But my favourite is a mixture of three or four kinds of beans - the large, flattish white kidney beans, and the small white beans they use to make baked beans with (on the the packet it just says "small white beans") and chickpeas, in equal proportions. I cook them from the hard dried state - soak first overnight, then boil;. I cook up several onions and tomatoes, add some veg stock, and toss in the cooked beans. Its really delicious, you should try it. Much much better over homemade bread and avo, of course. Its funny, since eating this way I've kind of decreased my green veg intake as when i cook them for the family I usually add some oil or butter, so end up not eating it. But anyway ... I'll force down some salad once in a while ... it doesn't really bother me, as i suppose that over the long term i am getting enough of what matters.
Janey1

Postby eXtremE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't really care for the Chickpeas Janey but I love the pinto beans. :-D
I cook them from the hard dried state - soak first overnight, then boil;. I cook up several onions and tomatoes, add some veg stock, and toss in the cooked beans.
I would probably love them like this tho. I am really lazy and like taking shortcuts so I eat mostly the canned beans.
But anyway ... I'll force down some salad once in a while
:D , LOL Janey! There are those foods that we just don't like and I would not worry about eating them if you hate the taste. I could not eat celery if someone had a gun to my head I think...yuck!
it doesn't really bother me, as i suppose that over the long term i am getting enough of what matters.
Yeah, I agree. How long have you been at it btw?
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Saturday 3/29/2014

Postby eXtremE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 pm

@11:30AM = 1 large bowl of steel cut oatmeal , 2 tbs of walnuts, green apple slices, almond milk, plus a bowl of greens.

@ 6:00 PM = large salad and beans, little brown rice, green apple.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby AnnieMaim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:47 am

Janey1 wrote:I am sure i sometimes eat more calories on this way of eating than normal eaters do (SAD eaters, as they are called here), even with their milk and meat and cheese etc.

I bet you don't! Sometimes I log my foods into Sparkpeople just to try and get an idea -- and to have something to show people who just can't believe I can ever get "enough" protein -- of what nutrients, etc. I'm getting. My calorie range is always right in the middle of what it says I should be getting. Even if I eat avocado. Even if I eat beans at every meal and snack. I bet you're right in your healthy range, too.
AnnieMaim

Postby countryfolks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Last edited by countryfolks on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countryfolks

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I was simply posting what I eat. This was FMI only but ofc others are free to comment if they wish. I have since tweaked my diet even more. I was tracking exactly what I ate. No need to comment if you don't like (simply ignore). I don't advocate anyone here eat what I eat or I don't eat. I am still trying to figure out what works best for me. This was posted awhile back. Nathan Pritikin btw was doing this after he cured his heart disease to get his B12 but was actually eating more. No need to remind me. I was simply using it as a condiment just as you would use sugar or salt. I know Dr. McD advocates no eating of animal flesh. I really don't talk about it in other threads on other boards unless somebody else brings it up 1st.

Since I am responding back to you, I will post what I ate today. I am not tracking this daily anymore here (just periodically from time to time), only on my PC daily.....

Breakfast = nothing
Lunch = bowl of beans and rice and a few walnuts.
Dinner = turnip greens, potato wedges, large bowl of beans and rice,large veg salad, 1/4 green apple and one tbs unsalted peanuts.

Hope you approve of what I had for dinner today. :D

Some ppl overlook the majority good and focus in on the minuscule (what they perceive) as bad. I am no saint. My diet is pretty clean now. Some ppl here go offplan a little but the main thing is that you get the bulk of your calories from whole plant based foods which is what I am doing.
eXtremE

Saturday 4/12/2014

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:15 pm

@ 10AM = large bowl of steel cut oats

@ 7PM = large bowl of kale, brown rice, one cup beans, baked russet potato wedges, small glass of soy vanilla tea (so sick of water sometimes), large vegetable salad.

* I think I have figured out how to have my oatmeal and not have my BG spike. I will post results later in longue after I am done testing. :D
eXtremE

Wednesday 4/16/2014

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Dinner = large vegetable salad, pinto beans, large bowl of turnip greens, couple handfuls of unsalted peanuts, one medium sized sweet potato.
eXtremE

Sunday 4/20/2014

Postby eXtremE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Dinner at 6PM = large vegetable salad, large bowl of beans, large bowl of kale, 2 small potato wedges, 1/4 baked sweet potato, 2 tbs of walnuts.

* Only ate one time today...not really hungry. Still trying to tweak my PB diet to stop BG from spiking and get my HBA1C down using brief bouts of mild exercise after meals to lower any possible spikes until I can become more insulin sensitive provided I am not insulin insufficient.
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Dinner = beans, green veg salad, turnip greens, 1TBS walnuts, 1 TBS peanuts, baked sweet potato

*lunch was heavier
*dinner was pretty light
eXtremE

Tuesday 4/22/2014

Postby eXtremE » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 pm

dinner = black beans, veg salad, turnip greens, green apple, 2 tbs walnuts

BP = 118/63
HR = 56
eXtremE

Thursday 4/24/2014

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Lunch today = 2 cups kale greens, 1/2 cup black beans, 1 large vegetable salad with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, and broccoli, 1 tbs peanuts, 1 tbs walnuts, 1/2 green apple, 1/2 baked sweet potato.

2 hour PP Blood Glucose = 83 :D
BP = 113/59
HR = 58 BPM
eXtremE

Saturday 4/26/2014

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Dinner today = 3 cups kale greens, 1 cup great northern beans, 1 large vegetable salad with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, and broccoli, 1 tbs peanuts, 1 tbs walnuts, 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/4 cup brown rice.
eXtremE

Saturday 5/03/2014

Postby eXtremE » Sat May 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Lunch = Kale greens, pinto beans, 1/2 apple, 2 tbs walnuts, large vegetable salad.
I exercised for 33 minutes @ a moderate pace on my stationary bike after eating.

BP = 112/60
HR = 58
One hour PP BloodGlucose = 88 :D
eXtremE

Monday 7/21/2014

Postby eXtremE » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:34 pm

lunch = small bowl of steel cut oats (don't eat often anymore)

Dinner = Kale greens, pinto beans, 1/2 apple, 2 tbs walnuts, large vegetable salad, bowl brown rice

*snack = couple pieces of canteloupe

2 hour PP BloodGlucose = 89 :D
eXtremE

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals