New Jeff Novick Fast Food DVD out

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Jeff Novick Fast Food DVD out

Postby sigma957 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 pm

I found this at Vegsource:

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2014/04/j ... video.html

They are usually available there for a while before becoming avaiable to buy here on Doctor McDougall's site.

Looks like a great DVD and I can't wait to buy it.
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Re: New Jeff Novick Fast Food DVD out

Postby patty » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Mahalo I have been waiting for this.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:36 am

I pre-ordered it when it became available last month, and I've been following package tracking since they mailed it last Wednesday. It came within 10 miles of my house 24 hours ago so I'm hoping it gets delivered today. We've been waiting 2 years for this and finally it's so close I can taste it! :lol:
VeggieSue

Postby Katydid » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:45 am

Thanks. Ordered it last night. Since I have to avoid nightshades, I'm looking forward to the tomato-free recipes.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby sharonbikes » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 am

My copy arrived last night!!!!! I have watched just the first part of it-not yet gotten to the parts I am most looking forward to seeing. Hoping to watch the rest of it today.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 pm

sharonbikes wrote:My copy arrived last night!!!!!

Lucky! Tracking on mine hasn't changed since yesterday morning. Our local PO frequently forgets to scan things in, and I've sometimes gotten a package that tracking still says is hundreds of miles away and a few days later all the tracking info appears. I really wish more shippers used UPS or other *reliable* shippers who scan their packages as required.

I have watched just the first part of it-not yet gotten to the parts I am most looking forward to seeing. Hoping to watch the rest of it today.

So, besides the mushroom barley soup on the cover and the broth Jeff mentions in the video excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mpnLBWkZs

what other recipes are on it?
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Thu May 01, 2014 9:38 am

I guess I'll answer my own questions.

He starts off with a few basics - the 10 Healthiest Packaged Foods, Fast Food recipe template, then goes on to some basic recipes - vegetable broth, marinara sauce, and 3 different tahini sauces. These will be used later in the DVD.

His new set of recipes themselves starts off with 2 different soups - Mushroom Barley and Gypsy. He found frozen diced sweet potatoes in a store and uses them in the Gypsy soup. I wish stores around here carried them, but the only sweet potatoes in the freezer section are the deep fried ones.

Next comes the entrees. First is the only old recipe from his FaceBook page, the Kasha Varnishkas, but slightly different than what he previously posted there. He's mentioned in the Fast Food 2 video that this was his favorite dish growing up and the one his mom makes for him every time he visits.

The next is Quinoa, Lentils and Greens and uses one of the tahini sauces made earlier.

Couscous, Fava Beans and Peas is next. Another one with tahini sauce.

Mediterranean Millet introduces yet another grain to the stable and also uses the tahini sauce.

The last recipe on the DVD is another of his grandmother's favorite dishes. It's called Tzimmes, or Sweet Potato Stew. This one got a high-five instead of the thumbs up from the Fast Food Twins, so I look forward to making this one soon.

These recipes are not the "glop in a pot" recipes, as someone once described the original SNAP/Fast Food recipes. He introduces new starches, new beans, new sauces, and even new spices. A few recipes use raisins, a few others almonds & pine nuts. Tomatoes are an optional ingredient in the Gypsy Soup and he made it without it here.

Most of the dishes follow his fast food 10-minute guidelines, although for a few, the grains might take a bit longer than 10 minutes to cook or you'll be making one part of the dish while another is cooking, like browning then cooking the kasha in one pan, frying up the onions in another, and cooking the pasta in yet another, before mixing them together and heating them all together with other ingredients to make the final dish.

Another thing mentioned a few times is how many frozen vegetables are no longer packed in 1-pound bags, some as small as 12 ounces, so multiple bags may need to be purchased for the amount needed in a recipe. Each recipe should contain around 2 pounds of frozen veggies, plus the other ingredients.

They all look interesting and sure to be staples along with the original SNAP recipes with this family from now on.

Thanks for finally getting this DVD released, Jeff. It looks like it was well worth the wait! Multiple thumbs up from this neck of the woods! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
VeggieSue

Postby patty » Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 am

Sounds great!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Faith in DC » Thu May 01, 2014 3:27 pm

I liked that he has some options besides tomato based. I've only watched half so far. I like what he has done.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Katydid » Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 pm

So far I've made the tahini mustard sauce - which was very good. And I am so making the Kasha Varnishkes - if I can find some gluten-free bowtie pasta. I am very grateful for the tomato-free recipes (with my nightshade allergies I need all the help I can get) and for the variety of non-rice grain dishes. Not so grateful for the Nelson twins (who I am sure are sweet, lovely girls, but who annoy me none-the-less). I assume they must come with the kitchen :twisted:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby patty » Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Katydid wrote:So far I've made the tahini mustard sauce - which was very good. And I am so making the Kasha Varnishkes - if I can find some gluten-free bowtie pasta. I am very grateful for the tomato-free recipes (with my nightshade allergies I need all the help I can get) and for the variety of non-rice grain dishes. Not so grateful for the Nelson twins (who I am sure are sweet, lovely girls, but who annoy me none-the-less). I assume they must come with the kitchen :twisted:

Kate

I think I will skip the tahini:) I have some in the cupboard but have never used and should give it away. I am excited about picking up the ingredients so my granddaughters can at least make one of the dishes. I am thinking of getting another copy for my daughter and grandsons, who I know will adore the girls. It is pretty impressive they have been vegan since birth. Mahalo for sharing:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Grammy Ginger » Fri May 02, 2014 6:33 pm

The new video is great. So glad I bought it. I'm gong to skip the tahini, too. Extra onions, herbs, and a splash of vinegar/lemon/lime make greens yummy; they'll work as substitutes in the recipes with tahini, too.
Grammy Ginger

Postby VeggieSue » Sat May 03, 2014 3:25 am

Katydid wrote:And I am so making the Kasha Varnishkes - if I can find some gluten-free bowtie pasta.

I've never found these in any store in anything other than semolina. Jeff mentioned he was happy to find them in WW, and in the Facebook post for this recipe he mentions the Hodgson Mills brand. The only place I found it was at Amazon through a vendor, where the shipping cost more than the box of pasta. I go the non-traditional route and use a bag of whatever shape brown rice pasta I have on hand.

Not so grateful for the Nelson twins (who I am sure are sweet, lovely girls, but who annoy me none-the-less).

They acted like they really didn't want to be there this time, and I noticed Jeff didn't bother giving them enough chores to do to keep them busy. I guess they wanted to be back on the beach. One couldn't even open a bag of veggies with scissors!

I assume they must come with the kitchen :twisted:

If that's what it takes to have a kitchen like that, I'd make the sacrifice, too! :lol: I love the color scheme, accessories, the island - all of it! Sure beats my current old apartment's pre-War kitchen with cheap, warped pressed-wood cabinets that a previous owner slapped up there in probably around the 1960's.
VeggieSue

Fava Beans

Postby VeggieSue » Sat May 03, 2014 3:28 am

One of the new recipes uses fava beans. I checked three stores yesterday and not one had these in either canned or dried versions.

For anyone who ever ate a fava bean, what would be a good substitute? I'm leaning towards lima or butterbeans.
VeggieSue

Postby patty » Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am

Finally got a chance to watch Jeff's new dvd. Couldn't miss the tahini sticking to the side of the measuring cup:) I thought the Twins were darling. I liked when their response "No Thank You", to Jeff changing their name from The Fast Food Twins to The Garlic Twins. Reminds me when he shared in another video about the Mothar Twins. They resonate a healthy kitchen family relationship of ebb and flow. I tired the sweet potato stew... added more veggies. It was great. Today I am going to make the stock. Great essential dvd to have and gift as all Jeff's dvds.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge