Glucose transition from a SAD to a WFPB

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Glucose transition from a SAD to a WFPB

Postby Miked74 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:01 am

I am just wondering what I should expect from the transition from an SAD to a WFPB diet? My Glucose number have gone up since I started a WFPB with starches. My base number is around 120 and peak about 208 and don't go back to 120s in 4 to 5hrs. Before on a SAD my base was 100 and peak around the 160s. Is this something I should expect and should I not make my self sick over the big Glucose swings?
Miked74

Re: Glucose transition from a SAD to a WFPB

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:10 am

Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic Mike? How long have you been eating WFPB? BG spikes would not bother me as much if the body quickly brought these back down but when they are sustained, that really worries me but that is just me.

If you have been on a strict, WFPB for awhile to get all the fat out of the way so insulin can do its job and you are still running high like this, this would definitely give me pause for thought and would concern me personally.

The theory in most T2DM is you are producing sufficient insulin but the fat is basically blocking the insulin in the bloodstream from letting glucose into the cells to be stored and used for energy and you end up with too much glycated hemoglobin which over time can start to cause numerous complications.

The only thing I can think of is you eat a strict PB diet for awhile and this keeps happening, your pancreas is not producing enough insulin to push this high rise in blood sugar into the cells, bc the PB doctors tell us getting fat out of the diet will get rid of the insulin insensitivity. The body really likes to keep glucose levels in that narrow 70-100 range.

When you say base, are you talking about your FBG? I would try exercise after meals to blunt post meal spikes until things start to normalize better. Good luck and please update from either improvement or deterioration.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Miked74 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 am

I am type 2 Diabetic and don't need insulin. I have been eating this way for a little over a week now. I have lost weight from 285 to 263 over a month but only started the Mcdougall program on 4/16. I know I have a ways to go as far as fat loss and as the weight comes off I would assume that the glucose numbers would come down. But I just want to make sure that it is normal to expect the numbers to initially go up at first from the transition from the high fat low carb to the Mcdougall program. Yeah on average my fasting BG is in the mid 120s but this morning was 111 ;-) . I did go for a walk yesterday for 45mins it was nice. I don't think I can exercise after Every meal to help blunt the spike but I am sure I can find the time to do at least 30 to 45mins a day of walking which I like to do! Since I started I have been following PB zero fat and refined foods no nuts, seeds, oils or even avocados(I love avocados). I don't mind eating this way in fact I feel better since I started as long as I can eat starches with variety other PB foods. Eating the Low carb way makes me feel tired, moody, unsatisfied and brain fog.

Also I am not looking for immediate results I don't expect that.
Miked74

Postby dteresa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am

If you are eating no fat the body fat you are losing is, essentially, fat in your diet. I always notice that my sugars go up a bit when I lose weight. It doesn't last. If you have not already read plantpositive's explanation of how to make yourself insulin resistant you should check it out. Don't be fooled by the low sugars of the low carbers. They are making themselves insulin resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2oYyAFZDBA

specifically numbers 35 and 36

didi
dteresa

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 am

That is good Mike....sounds like you are on the right path. The weight loss alone will help tremendously despite whatever kind of diet you are on. I would however continue to monitor as you eat this way to track my progress. Please bookmark and update (from time to time) this thread you started. I am really interested in how you do the longer you stay on this diet and in your weight loss.

I told a friend of mine in another mental health forum who is struggling with T2DM and she is going to give Barnard's method a try. I am also interested in how things will turn out for her.

I will say if you adhere rigidly to a diet like this, the weight will slowly come off. A PB diet is great for long-term weight loss IMO even tho I have never had a problem with weight and did not start eating this way for weight loss. Good luck friend and keep going. You have already lost over 20 lbs and that is a great accomplishment. Do you have a goal weight that you'd like to be?

I do understand about trying to get out and walk after every meal. This is not a very practical thing that most ppl can do. I say just do it whenever you can when you feel like it. With the weight loss usually comes more energy and more energy = more motivation to get out and exercise. It ends up becoming a positive vicious cycle. :D
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

My guess is the mcdougall diet probably just needs more time to work wonders. To help slow down rise in blood sugar, can eat the cheap starch staple with a little bit of beans, lentils, peas, etc. in every meal as seen in many traditional diets. Can also try lower calorie starches like winter squash, or can try reducing the amount of the cheap starch staples if not planning to exercise after the meal.
colonyofcells

Postby Miked74 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

dteresa wrote:If you are eating no fat the body fat you are losing is, essentially, fat in your diet. I always notice that my sugars go up a bit when I lose weight. It doesn't last. If you have not already read plantpositive's explanation of how to make yourself insulin resistant you should check it out. Don't be fooled by the low sugars of the low carbers. They are making themselves insulin resistant.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2oYyAFZDBA

specifically numbers 35 and 36

didi

I agree with the science make sense! I watched 35 and 36 and find the topic interesting but to be honest I almost nodded off with the narrator's mono tone voice. :D

eXtremE wrote:That is good Mike....sounds like you are on the right path. The weight loss alone will help tremendously despite whatever kind of diet you are on. I would however continue to monitor as you eat this way to track my progress. Please bookmark and update (from time to time) this thread you started. I am really interested in how you do the longer you stay on this diet and in your weight loss.

I told a friend of mine in another mental health forum who is struggling with T2DM and she is going to give Barnard's method a try. I am also interested in how things will turn out for her.

I will say if you adhere rigidly to a diet like this, the weight will slowly come off. A PB diet is great for long-term weight loss IMO even tho I have never had a problem with weight and did not start eating this way for weight loss. Good luck friend and keep going. You have already lost over 20 lbs and that is a great accomplishment. Do you have a goal weight that you'd like to be?

I do understand about trying to get out and walk after every meal. This is not a very practical thing that most ppl can do. I say just do it whenever you can when you feel like it. With the weight loss usually comes more energy and more energy = more motivation to get out and exercise. It ends up becoming a positive vicious cycle. :D

That's is a very good idea keeping track of the progress and using this post for it! Are you diabetic Extreme?

colonyofcells wrote:My guess is the mcdougall diet probably just needs more time to work wonders. To help slow down rise in blood sugar, can eat the cheap starch staple with a little bit of beans, lentils, peas, etc. in every meal as seen in many traditional diets. Can also try lower calorie starches like winter squash, or can try reducing the amount of the cheap starch staples if not planning to exercise after the meal.

I love your Name(colonyofcells) its clever! I understand about choosing other foods that will have that kind of effect on my Glucose levels. I want to make sure that I am getting enough calories so that I am satisfied. Having these starch based foods as my main part of my coarse really keeps me satisfied and prevents me from binge eating on foods I shouldn't be eating.
Miked74

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 pm

That's is a very good idea keeping track of the progress and using this post for it! Are you diabetic Extreme?

I am pre-diabetic so I have been keeping close tabs on my blood sugars. I did a lot damage in my 20s and 30s by eating lots of bad things. I am now trying to turn things around in my 50s. I wish I had not waited so long to start. A clean, healthy diet like this can do wonders for your health and your waistline Mike but it is not always easy all the time. As most ppl start to see health improvements, that motivates them to stay on the diet as they keep getting healthier and healthier with less reliance on doctors and pharmaceutical drugs.
eXtremE

Postby Miked74 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

eXtremE wrote:

I am pre-diabetic so I have been keeping close tabs on my blood sugars. I did a lot damage in my 20s and 30s by eating lots of bad things. I am now trying to turn things around in my 50s. I wish I had not waited so long to start. A clean, healthy diet like this can do wonders for your health and your waistline Mike but it is not always easy all the time. As most ppl start to see health improvements, that motivates them to stay on the diet as they keep getting healthier and healthier with less reliance on doctors and pharmaceutical drugs.

I see you been doing the Mcdougall program for 9 months? So how has your experience been since you changed to it? Were you over weight when you started?
Miked74

Postby eXtremE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm

No, not overweight either Mike, altho I did lose weight when I started eating like this. I am 5'10". I am male. I weighed approx. 168 lbs when I bg this WOE. In just a few months of eating like this, my weight went from 168 to 150 where I maintained until I reduced the starches and started eating more vegetable salads and non starchy greens like kale, turnips, and collard greens. When I did this, weight dropped from 150 to 140 lbs. I started out eating mostly beans, brown rice, oatmeal, and potatoes and lots of eggplants. I still love these foods but did back off the oatmeal, potatoes, and rice somewhat, altho I still eat them. I kinda got bored with the eggplant and have not had that in awhile but will probably start eating again.

To answer your question, I started eating like this bc I just never felt well and had no energy. I have two mental health disorders. I have panic disorder and chronic anxiety. Been battling these conditions for nearly 3 decades. Also since anyone who eats the SAD has some degree of heart disease, I thought it wise to change my diet in order to try and savage my current poor health and possibly safeguard my future health. I was also having some pretty severe issues with constipation. The constipation was quickly resolved by this WOE. I have had zero problems with constipation since I bg eating like this.

I still have issues with panic and anxiety however but I do have more energy now than I did bf I began this WOE. My blood lipids were poor too before I began eating this way. The diet lowered my total cholesterol from the 170-200 ranges down to 126. I am still having some blood sugar issues that I am trying to resolve however, and I think my next HBA1C will reflect positively the tweaks I have made in my PB diet. If I am wrong, I will have to re-examine and make further adjustments. If I have not answered your question, please ask again and I will try to answer as best I can. I do think PB is the way to go and is the healthiest way to eat. It is not always easy tho. I still have cravings for things like doughnuts and candy bars but I know these things are not good for me and so I don't eat them despite the cravings.

Besides the diet, I exercise daily and I meditate three times a day (20 minute sessions).
eXtremE

Postby Miked74 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm

eXtremE wrote:No, not overweight either Mike, altho I did lose weight when I started eating like this. I am 5'10". I am male. I weighed approx. 168 lbs when I bg this WOE. In just a few months of eating like this, my weight went from 168 to 150 where I maintained until I reduced the starches and started eating more vegetable salads and non starchy greens like kale, turnips, and collard greens. When I did this, weight dropped from 150 to 140 lbs. I started out eating mostly beans, brown rice, oatmeal, and potatoes and lots of eggplants. I still love these foods but did back off the oatmeal, potatoes, and rice somewhat, altho I still eat them. I kinda got bored with the eggplant and have not had that in awhile but will probably start eating again.

To answer your question, I started eating like this bc I just never felt well and had no energy. I have two mental health disorders. I have panic disorder and chronic anxiety. Been battling these conditions for nearly 3 decades. Also since anyone who eats the SAD has some degree of heart disease, I thought it wise to change my diet in order to try and savage my current poor health and possibly safeguard my future health. I was also having some pretty severe issues with constipation. The constipation was quickly resolved by this WOE. I have had zero problems with constipation since I bg eating like this.

I still have issues with panic and anxiety however but I do have more energy now than I did bf I began this WOE. My blood lipids were poor too before I began eating this way. The diet lowered my total cholesterol from the 170-200 ranges down to 126. I am still having some blood sugar issues that I am trying to resolve however, and I think my next HBA1C will reflect positively the tweaks I have made in my PB diet. If I am wrong, I will have to re-examine and make further adjustments. If I have not answered your question, please ask again and I will try to answer as best I can. I do think PB is the way to go and is the healthiest way to eat. It is not always easy tho. I still have cravings for things like doughnuts and candy bars but I know these things are not good for me and so I don't eat them despite the cravings.

Besides the diet, I exercise daily and I meditate three times a day (20 minute sessions).

Wow I'm shocked! Your so skinny and yet pre diabetic. Are you just not producing enough insulin?

I can Totally sympathize and relate to the Panic and Anxiety Disorder I have had Some major problems in the past my self with these! Took me years to get better! I tried all kinds of meds that just made things worse. Side effects, Withdrawal problems Horrible stuff :\ . But when my stress levels are up I still get some neurological symptoms like muscle fasciculation which I never had before my long bouts of Panic and anxiety. Also I use to never care about my health before all this and since then I feel like I have become an hypochondriac :lol: . I am probably familiar with same websites and forums about panic and anxiety ;-)

Today my Fasting BG was 103 :D But I didn't eat a lot the day before! I seem to be having trouble with getting grocery list together and a meal plan established any advice on this by chance? What was your last A1C?
Miked74

Postby dteresa » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:44 am

LOL. Mike, plantpositive's videos are chock full of well researched information. But to tell you the truth, sometimes if I have trouble falling asleep I will put on his videos which play in succession and it does help me fall asleep. I do find his voice soothing although his delivery does seem to bother some.

didi
dteresa

Postby Miked74 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am

Haha. Didi funny you should say that when I was watching the video and listening to his voice I thought he should make one of those guided meditations to help people fall asleep. I definitely think what he does is positive!

I woke up today with a fasting BG level of 107. So far so good it seems!
Miked74

Postby Miked74 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 am

It has been 2 weeks since I started the Mcdougall program. My BG number this morning was 88 :shock: . Also I weighed in at 258 pounds. I'm really enjoying this way of eating. No medications either.
Miked74

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 am

Good going Mike...keep going. How much weight have you lost thus far?
eXtremE

Next

Return to The Lounge