Boca or Morning Star?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Boca or Morning Star?

Postby Rose/red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi all, just wondering which brand of veggie burgers that you like best. And which one is better for you? thanks :)
Rose/red

Re: Boca or Morning Star?

Postby olindaspider » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Neither are good choices. But Jeff Novick's Burgers and Fries are! Fast Food, Volume 2: Burgers and Fries
olindaspider

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 pm

My favorites are the Engine 2 burgers and they are on plan. However, they are spendy so I only use them once in a great while.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby Denise » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Jeff's bean burgers always!

Cheers
Denise

Postby indy107 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Well Rose, I like them both, and neither one are good for you. :D

They're full of fat, soy protein isolate, oil, egg, and dairy products. They're what's commonly known around here as 'Vegan Junk Food".

I know, because I got scolded for including a product like this in a Beef Stew Recipe. http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-beef-stew/ Fake food compared to real food.

I did modify my recipe today by removing the Gardein Beefless Tips and using Portabella Mushrooms instead. I also added a box of Westsoy Cubed Seitan for more texture and 'chewiness'.

In your case, I would search for Jeff Novick's recipe for Veggie Burgers. They're made from whole foods and are pretty simple with just 4 ingredients.
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Postby bridgetohealth » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:47 pm

I prefer Dr Praeger's (Tex Mex). They don't have as many bad ingredients, but they do have oil so they're not on plan. I eat them a few times a year. I've truthfully never been able to get Jeff's burgers to have a good consistency, and would prefer a burger without oats since I have an intolerance and can't eat much. I'm still searching for the perfect WFPB burger that doesn't have mushrooms (can't eat at all) or oats (need to limit).
bridgetohealth

Postby Katydid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Jeff's burgers all the way. Cheap, filling and no C.R.A.P. Just simple wholesome natural ingredients. :D

The Recipe...

Bean Burgers
- One Can Eden Foods Organic Kidney Beans, No Salt Added
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice (short grain works the best)
- 1/2 Cup Regular Rolled Oats
- 2 TB Home Made Salsa (or any salsa, ketchup, or BBQ sauce)
- Spice

Mash Beans. Mix in all other ingredients, mix well and form patties. Chill.

Grill, bake or broil burgers till done.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Instead of burgers, just use real food like tempeh, natto, boil some legumes like beans, lentil, pea, etc. Non organic soy protein products are usually refined using hexane. Better to avoid refined products whether not organic or organic.
colonyofcells

Postby JillinMI » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:28 pm

If you can find them, Asherah's Gourmet (frozen) Vegan Burgers are good, with a clean ingredient list,including no oil, soy, and no gluten for those avoiding those ingredients. They are mainly quinoa, buckwheat, sweet potato, vegies, and flax. There are various flavors. The only ingredient that is remotely a little higher fat is whole coconut. I wish they were more widely distributed. Some Whole Foods Markets carry them, others don't.
JillinMI

Postby soul food » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 pm

http://forealslife.com/blog/2013/9/29/tamale-burgers

Tamale Burgers

These are good. They are made with masa harina flour and have no oats. They only need to be chilled twenty minutes so that is another plus. I put salsa on them.

soul food
soul food

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 am

Rose/red wrote:Hi all, just wondering which brand of veggie burgers that you like best. And which one is better for you? thanks :)

As others have mentioned, neither of those brands are allowed on the McDougall food plan. The packaged foods he *does* approve of are listed in the "Canned and Packaged Foods List" found in the drop-down menu above under Education - Recipes:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/canned-packaged-foods/

You'll find the few brands of frozen burgers he allows in the Rich, Higher Fat Foods - Meat Substitutes (Rich) link:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/canned-packaged-foods/richer-higher-fat-foods/meat-substitutes/

As with any packaged food, be sure the read the label, even if it *is* on the list, because companies change formulas and have been known to add ingredients we can't have, like oil added to dry cereals or dairy added to burgers.
VeggieSue

Postby nayasmom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am

Packaged, processed veggie burgers tend to be too high in protein. Morningstar uses dairy in just about all of their products, and Boca offers only two variations of their burger that's low enough in fat to be acceptable, but they are still highly processed with soy protein that is questionable in the grand scheme of long-term health.
If I'm jonesing for a sandwich, I layer veggies like cucumber, radish, grated carrot, pickle slices, grilled eggplant and red bell pepper, spinach, lettuce, mustard, unsweetened ketchup, and if I have any, a thick layer of hummus or other bean dip. There's a pesto recipe that calls for white beans in one of my cookbooks that I want to make to use as a spread in a sandwich. If I stuff my sammy with veg and condiments, there's no room for a burger, and I don't miss it. If I really and truly want a burger of some sort, I'll make baked falafels, which uses mashed garbanzos as the base.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 am

Neither of these are healthy or on plan. They do not meet Jeff Novick's guidelines. If you want to be healthy DO NOT eat stuff like this. Healthy is as healthy does.
Ltldogg

Postby MikeInFL » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 pm

I like eggplant subs! Had my first eggplant sub recently at a pizza place, yum! Don't miss meatballs at all.
MikeInFL

Postby MtnMike » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 am

Novick's Southwest black bean and corn burgers!
MtnMike

Return to The Lounge