High AM Glucose Readings for Diabetic

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

High AM Glucose Readings for Diabetic

Postby sjfield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 am

Am diabetic and have been on the plant based diet for about 6 months. At first blood sugar readings dropped dramatically. But now the am readings are back up again, as high as 180, with no change in diet. Other readings throughout the day still show improvement. Anyone have suggestions for bringing the am readings back down?
sjfield

Re: High AM Glucose Readings for Diabetic

Postby dteresa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 am

I have found that if I don't eat some starch for my last meal of the day, or a bit later in the evening that my morning readings are higher. Although 180 for a morning reading does seem unusually high on a plant diet without fat. I think that if my sugar readings go very low at night that my liver pumps out more sugar over night to compensate for the low night time sugars. So the sugar you are seeing in the morning could be from your liver stores. I would try postponing dinner for a little later in the evening so you get those starches in to gradually raise your blood sugar so the liver isn't called upon to supply what your diet didn't. And you didn't say if you are on any meds, for diabetes or some other meds.

You are not eating any fats, right?

You also might want to look up dawn effect and szmogi (check the spelling) effect. Sometimes the rise in the morning is due to hormones.

didi
dteresa

Postby sjfield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I am not eating fats. I have been on metformin for 8 yrs and also Junuvia for approx 3 yrs.
sjfield

Postby openmind » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

sjfield wrote:Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I am not eating fats. I have been on metformin for 8 yrs and also Junuvia for approx 3 yrs.

Do you have the resources to go to one of the McDougall 10-day programs? If you do, it is well worth the money.
openmind

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Can try some weight exercise and or aerobic exercise in the morning before breakfast and before checking the fasting blood sugar. The liver likes to pump out the sugar reserves maybe bec. it expects all humans to work real hard in the early morning. If you get lots of good sugar fuel for athletes in the morning from your generous liver, might as well exercise like a real athlete. Many vegan athletes exercise before breakfast. Sugar released by the liver is available immediately and maybe was used by our ancestors to outrun hungry jaguars in the morning.
colonyofcells

Postby sjfield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

OK, thank you for the suggestion. I do walk dogs about 1 mile but that is probably not enough exercise.
sjfield

Postby Miked74 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 pm

A few things I can think of is the liver starts to produce extra sugar and hormones to help you wake up in the morning. Also if your having High levels of stress/anxiety it will increase stress hormones making you insulin resistant. Another is the possibility that your refill for your prescription is a different manufacturer then the ones that you have been taking. I have read that sometime Metformin can stop working for people. Check your glucose meter maybe it is on the fritz or battery is low. And last thing I can think of is your body isn't producing enough insulin as it once was.
Miked74

Postby Joseph65 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Are you currently off the drugs? In no way should your fasting blood sugar be anywhere near 180. It's time to talk to a doctor knowledgeable about your problem. If you are on blood pressure meds your dose might be too high because of the change in diet. This often causes blood sugar increases in the morning. But time to stop guessing and see someone about the problem. It isn't normal to be at 180 especially if you're still on the meds and eating a plant based diet.
Joseph65

Postby sjfield » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, I am still on blood pressure meds so I will check with my Dr. I was 150 -160 in the am until recently. Thank you.
sjfield

Postby Joseph65 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Great, seeing your doctor is the right thing to do. Glucose can start killing beta cells at levels of 140. One study I read found that people with FASTING blood glucose from 110–125 had already lost up to 40% of their beta cell mass. Failing beta cells will lead to worsening diabetes, a terribly vicious cycle. Elevated glucose has also been shown to cause eye damage (“retinopathy”) and increased rates of heart disease, kidney damage, and stroke. Best of luck in getting the problem solved.
Joseph65

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:59 pm

I am having similar issues, mainly with eating hot oatmeal. As Colony suggested, altho not very practical sometimes, the exercise will work to blunt post meal spikes after a heavy carb load but you must time it (duration and intensity) just right. I am currently experimenting with exercise as a stopgap solution until I can find another solution.

ImageThe 180 FBG, how long is that being sustained bf it comes back down? What exactly have you been eating mostly?

Joseph65 is correct IMO about above the 140 level. I did not even realize this was happening in my case until a random HBA1C that I paid for OOP told me that I was now in the pre-diabetic range even tho my lipids plummeted.

Any diabetic IMO must continue to monitor and keep a close eye on blood sugars to make sure all is well.
Last edited by eXtremE on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 pm

sjfield wrote:Am diabetic and have been on the plant based diet for about 6 months. At first blood sugar readings dropped dramatically.

Explain please when you say "At first blood sugar readings dropped dramatically" . Were you on any meds bf the switch to the PB diet? Was your motivation for starting a PB diet bc of the T2DM? What kind of diet were you eating prior? What did your doctor say or think when you told him you were going to start eating this way?

*never-mind about the meds....I read what you posted earlier....
Last edited by eXtremE on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm

sjfield wrote:Thanks very much for the suggestions, I will give them a try. I am not eating fats. I have been on metformin for 8 yrs and also Junuvia for approx 3 yrs.
Are you still on these meds?
eXtremE

Postby Spiral » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 pm

sjfield wrote:Am diabetic and have been on the plant based diet for about 6 months. At first blood sugar readings dropped dramatically. But now the am readings are back up again, as high as 180, with no change in diet. Other readings throughout the day still show improvement. Anyone have suggestions for bringing the am readings back down?

I recommend reviewing both of these threads.

Twitchy Blood Sugar

Diabetes and Carbohydrates

Both of these threads have a lot of good information in them.
Spiral

Return to The Lounge