A-fib

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A-fib

Postby Gwen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi all,
My husband just had an episode of atrial fibrillation last weekend. His heart was brought back into correct rythym by meds, and he's OK now. He is 56 and has never had a heart problem, has good blood pressure and cholesterol, and is not overweight, and doesn't take any medications.

Since then, we've talked with others and it seems a-fib is not uncommon. Does anyone know why this so common?
I find it strange that it's so common.
Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen

Re: A-fib

Postby momof4 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Sorry to hear this--I'm sure it's scary to have your heart rate go crazy like that. My mom has had this for 30 years (she's 80) and it's controlled w/meds, but she had some episodes before they found the right med for her. The doctors say hers was likely caused by having rheumatic fever when she was a child (in WW2 Germany where she didn't receive good treatment for it). Here's something from http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heart_va ... ation.html
Causes
In general, anything that disturbs the normal electrical impulses in the heart can trigger a cardiac arrhythmia, causing the heart to beat too quickly, too slowly or erratically. For atrial fibrillation, the major risk factors are: age, coronary heart disease, rheumatic heart disease (caused by rheumatic fever), hypertension, diabetes and thyrotoxicosis (an excess of thyroid hormones). In many patients, the underlying cause of atrial fibrillation is more serious than the arrhythmia itself.

In my mom's case, she also has hypertension, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Apparently, some times a cause simply can't be found. I hope your husband has good control w/the medication and doesn't have any more episodes!
momof4

Postby Gwen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks for that info.

Since my husband has no risk factors, he'll just be taking a baby aspirin a day to thin the blood. Tomorrow he has a stress test.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby momof4 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 pm

The aspirin is wise. With the erratic beating of the heart, blood can pool and clot.
momof4

Postby f1jim » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 pm

What's his diet Gwen? It appears many of the risk factors for A-fib can be diet related. Not always but many times.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Burgess » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:33 pm

I am in my fifth episode of tachycardia/atrial fibrillation in 20 years. Here is my summary:

http://www.anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2 ... thmia.html

My layman's opinion is that it results from accumulated, poorly handled stress: emotional stress and physical stress. The former includes social conflicts and following the news. The latter includes excessive physical activity (running, etc.) and drugs (alcohol, coffee, etc.).
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I've had tachycardia and arrhythmia when I was in 4th year high school due to weak mitral valve and my mother was hospitalized and I had to carry stuff from the market. I've not had an episode since then and I managed it by managing stress thru doing things slow, talking slow, managing stress via knowledge. I talk weird but my heart is ok.
colonyofcells

Postby Gwen » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi guys,
My husband had a treadmill test today. All is OK. Stress may be a factor, I'm not sure. He doesn't drink or smoke. Doc said his heart is healthy. Don't know about his arteries and veins though....he has good cholesterol numbers and isn't overweight.

His diet could use some cleaning up. I try to cook healthy at home, but when we go out, he enjoys meats, bacon, and ..ugh..cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, so cheese isn't even on my radar.

Do you think changes in diet would help? I'm up for helping him get healthier so this won't happen again. He listens to me and I'm sure he'd be willing to make changes if he thinks it will help.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby sigma957 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:13 pm

My partner has a-fib. With her it's definitely genetic. Her mother, a bunch of aunts, her brother, all have it. I don't know what causes it but it seemed to kick in about 50 or so. Her's is pretty well controlled with meds.
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 am

Gwen wrote:My husband had a treadmill test today. All is OK. Stress may be a factor, I'm not sure. He doesn't drink or smoke. Doc said his heart is healthy. Don't know about his arteries and veins though....he has good cholesterol numbers and isn't overweight.

"Good" meaning what, exactly? What is his weight and height?
His diet could use some cleaning up. I try to cook healthy at home, but when we go out, he enjoys meats, bacon, and ..ugh..cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, so cheese isn't even on my radar.

Do you think changes in diet would help? I'm up for helping him get healthier so this won't happen again. He listens to me and I'm sure he'd be willing to make changes if he thinks it will help.

Um . . . of course it would. He should read Dr. Esselstyn's book ASAP IMO:

http://www.heartattackproof.com/
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Gwen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 pm

He's 6' - 170lbs. His cholesterol is around 140.
Doc said there is nothing wrong with his heart. Afib is more of an electrical problem....could happen again, just don't know.
Yes, I have that book and will have him read it.
Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen

Return to The Lounge