Excuses people give for eating a bad diet...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Excuses people give for eating a bad diet...

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:52 am

Number on on the list that I've heard is that we all have to die from something eventually.

Well thats right. But I'm going to do my best to make sure its the last thing I do. Not eat SAD and hurry it along with a heart attack. Plugging up coronary arteries because you eat a bunch of grease is not really my idea of dieting of natural causes. Of course what we eat can't prevent accidents.

I'm not convinced that plant based eating can protect against all cancers as there is much more to that than just food. There is the pollution in the environment from carcinogens and everything else people come in contact with. But in the area of coronary disease plant based eating has clear cut evidence…no doubt about it.
astronaut23

Re: Excuses people give for eating a bad diet...

Postby ajhondrngal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 am

”I want to enjoy life.”

1. You can enjoy good food as much as bad food.
2. I want to enjoy life as long as possible, and preferably not hampered by disease.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby dteresa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:21 am

My grandfather lived to be 100 and he ate anything he wanted, drank like a fish and smoked.

Can't argue with that one. Except.

Your grandfather had a great set of genes. You get yours from him, both your parents, your grandmother, the other set of grandparents and all those who came before them. Did you come with some kind of good gene guarantee?

didi
dteresa

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:16 pm

You summed it up well Astro...my sentiments exactly....
CAD = huge correlation with diet
Cancer = not as much, altho there may be certain types of cancer exceptions...
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby JulieS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 pm

I hear all the time that "I couldn't do THAT!" They can't see past the "will power" to NOT eat animal products.
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby EvanG » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Julie, I get that all of the time too. The funny thing is that it is almost always unsolicited. Occasionally, I object and say "You could do it if you put your mind to it. You are a strong-willed person." or something to that effect. But usually, I just say "OK."
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby dteresa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Is it any harder for men than for women? Men don't raise an eyebrow if a woman orders a dinner salad. They will just assume you are trying to keep your girlish figure. For them. But a man on a date orders a salad with just a balsamic vinegar dressing while his dinner partner has just ordered a side of beef with a bucket of fries on the side and his salad might raise eyebrows. Because real men eat beef.

didi
dteresa

Postby JulieS » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:15 pm

EvanG wrote:Julie, I get that all of the time too. The funny thing is that it is almost always unsolicited. Occasionally, I object and say "You could do it if you put your mind to it. You are a strong-willed person." or something to that effect. But usually, I just say "OK."

Yup. Me too. Usually I say sure you can or OK!
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby Dougalling » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Saddest excuse: My grandmother taught me all her recipes and I am now teaching my grandchildren all her recipes.
The same recipes that gave them obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc etc etc .
No consideration to making those recipes and the grandchildren healthier.
The first grandmother didn't know any better, but in this day and age, people know that what they eat affects their health.
Dougalling

Postby veg tom » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:31 am

I give myself permeation to eat what ever I want. I just do not want something bad for my health.
A is A
veg tom

Postby ajhondrngal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Another one I hear quite a bit is...

"It's too hard."

As in, "We used to eat that way, but my daughter wouldn't eat it, with my work schedule..."

The same person told me her husband's blood sugars really responded in a positive way, "but it was too hard."

Hmm, what's hard about putting rice in a rice cooker and walking away? Chopping veggies for a salad?

To each his own, I guess.

What I find the hardest is...
cleaning grease off my pans and
living a healthy lifestyle amidst this culture of junk food

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Return to The Lounge