Is Gatorade ok?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Is Gatorade ok?

Postby VeganOstomy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:52 pm

healthyvegan wrote:Gatorade's petroleum based dyes don't break down in your system. Watch blue gatorade not being digested http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 63825.html

I was sick one time and called my brother to bring over some gatorade. I was sweating through my white shirt. The orange Gatorade turned my white TShirt orange... you don't want those dyes in your cells, going through your blood stream, etc. Never drink Gatorade.

Since I have an ileostomy, I'm able to see the effects of certain foods going through my digestive system - gatorade included. It's pretty amazing to see bright green output (with blue gatorade) several hours after drinking it. I only use it in rare circumstances when electrolytes and calories are needed and when v8 doesn't carry well. I've tried just bringing water around, but it doesn't pick me up when I'm really active (without a colon, water doesn't get reabsorbed back into my body with good efficiency).

I'd never consider drinking it if it weren't for my specific needs. I also tend to boycott products by Coca Cola, so it's usually a generic sports drink that I'll get.
Visit my blog to find out how I live with an ostomy while maintaining a vegan lifestyle. Tips, reviews and food :)

http://www.veganostomy.ca
VeganOstomy

Postby Jack Monzon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Gatorade is more effective than water at treating crippling hangovers. I don't drink it more than a couple times per year though.
Jack Monzon

Postby Sunflwrgirl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I forgot to check the notification button for responses so I was thinking that nobody was responding. Glad I finally just checked. Thank you all so much for your comments and I am super glad I left the Gatorade alone. Pretty happy that I am perfectly content with water, though I will admit at random time far and few I will have a small coconut water...
Sunflwrgirl

Previous

Return to The Lounge