WV mom/wife MS sick & tired of being sick & tired

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

WV mom/wife MS sick & tired of being sick & tired

Postby TammyLynn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

Hi everyone, I am TammyLynn and I live with Hubby and 2 young adult children in WV...oh and I have Multiple Sclerosis. I have been reading, studying and watching everything I can on Vegan living. I strongly believe this will be of great help to lots of people...if they would only listen. I have played with my diet some in regards to Vegan...but admit I have been very hit and miss. Living in the very small town I live in I can honestly tell you of NO vegan menu options!!!! When I mention my desire to go Vegan I get the usual strange looks :shock: and "Oh I don't think I could do that" So I have decided to turn to this forum as a means of support. My family is supportive....but of course are not up on everything I need to do...they just know the basics. So I would love any comments, support, ideas, things that help you get started on your journey. I love small town living....except not everyone is open to new ideas or changes. I have not been able to find one other person where I work or attend church that has given this a try. So advice and support are really hard to come by in these parts ;-) I will try to keep everyone updated...and if I need to be on another thread please let me know. I am very open and need ALL the help I can get. Blessings and Healthy Vibes to you all !! :-D [/size]
TammyLynn

Re: WV mom/wife MS sick & tired of being sick & tired

Postby patty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Well you are in the right place:) Know the forums can center you like a hub in a wheel where you will be open to the challenges of your real time environment. The computer collapses space and time:) We are so Blessed Dr. McDougall provides so much information for us to practice. Satiety of being starch based works. I love his MS online video. I believe Moonwatcher who posts on the Journal Forum has posted about MS. Keep posting, families aren't born under one roof:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Go here http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... sclerosis/

Print out everything, all the links and articles on that page and reread them until it sinks in and give copies to anyone who questions your choices :)
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Joseph65 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 pm

I've got a bit of advice...stop telling people you're going vegan. Stop trying to get others to go vegan with you. Just do it. Very few people outside the vegan community know I'm plant exclusive and no oils. Most simply think I'm a picky eater. When eating outside the home I just claim if it isn't grass fed, prime AND aged I won't touch it. I mean, why pay high prices for garbage. When it comes to seafood, I tell people I'm allergic. The rest of my choices are simply viewed as trying to eat a bit healthier. In that way I don't get into endless debates about animal products and I get to eat my way without a lot of grumbles from those around me AND no one thinks I'm some old hippy weirdo that escaped from the 60's.
Joseph65

Postby JulieS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Welcome. I'm glad you're giving this a shot! :nod:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, in a big town, but I don't know anyone eating McDougall's Starch Solution either (except my husband). My husband eats this way because he loves me, wants to support me, and wants to be healthy, too, but he doesn't really want to think and talk about it the way I do! :lol:

I don't eat out anymore because it is too much of a hassle to try to convert the crap in restaurants to something I can eat! I like how I combine and prepare the foods I eat better anyway! I have McDougall's fast recipes cookbook and 3-4 other WFPB authors' cookbooks too, plus a lot of WFPB websites and Pinterest for recipes. Tell you the truth, I rarely cook from recipes though because I prefer to just rotate 5-6 simple entrees all week long, over and over again. I'll use a recipe usually for something special for my family, like a banana blueberry bread, bean burger or lentil loaf recipes.

Hope you have great success and stay around! :nod:
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby nicoles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Welcome! So glad you are here! This forum has been an incredible means of support for me, and I hope it will be for you as well!

Mentioning you have MS, you ought a meet MSNomad and Moonwwatcher, two whole foods plant based MSers who are doing great!

Moonwatcher has a journal here and a blog of her own to meet her at:

Her Blog

Her Journal

And MSNomad's:

Her Journal

MSNomad is currently traveling the work, eating this way, which is very exciting :-D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby TammyLynn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouragement :) Nicole, I am very excited to check out the journals of the other MS community! Very excited!!!!
TammyLynn

Postby veg tom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:11 pm

I wish you well :-D
A is A
veg tom

Postby sjsilver » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:46 pm

I think that the best advice I heard in the beginning is to choose your starches. For me that is rice and potatoes, and occasionally sweet potatoes. Then make sure that you always have those items cooked and available. Then plan your meals around these. It is easy to throw meals together quickly. You want to avoid being in a situation where you are hungry and looking for something to eat. And never go shopping when you are hungry. Good luck to you!
sjsilver

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Welcome!

Like many others, I am the only person I have ever known personally that eats this way. I come here to help convince myself I am not the crazy one! :) Actually I am crazy, but for eating this way.

Don't that Dr. McDougall's MS study results will be published soon. Very exciting.
vgpedlr

Postby Josieinca » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 am

Welcome TammyLynn, so happy you are here! You may not know anyone in your immediate community that is plant based, but you have an entire community here that welcomes you with open arms and understands what you are accomplishing by changing what you choose to nourish and nurture yourself. I am excited to see the benefits you begin noticing, so please do keep us posted! : )
Josieinca

Postby Dougalling » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:40 am

Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

You could start a weekly church group of people who are interested in eating the God's way to improve their health or to be closer to God. Maybe have a weekly potluck dinner?
Dougalling

Postby TammyLynn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Great idea Dougalling! !! Once I get some experience under my belt that may be a great project. :-D
TammyLynn

Return to The Lounge