GMO "foods" and Monsanto...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: GMO "foods" and Monsanto...

Postby brec » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Joseph65 wrote:... Roundup was formulated from the same chemical base as Agent Orange. ...
Which chemical base is that?
brec

Postby Joseph65 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

2,4,5-T with 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin (TCDD). Which is basically a glyphosate which inhibits enzyme pathways preventing plants from synthesizing amino acids necessary for growth. It basically stops plants/weeds from eating, so they die unless of course they are GM.
Last edited by Joseph65 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph65

Postby MikeInFL » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 pm

I wish whole foods had labels that told you not just where it was grown, but if it's GMO and what pesticide or herbicides were used, how much was used, and how much remains in the product.
MikeInFL

Postby brec » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Joseph65 wrote:2,4,5-T with 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin (TCDD). Which is basically a glyphosate which inhibits enzyme pathways preventing plants from synthesizing amino acids necessary for growth. It basically stops plants/weeds from eating, so they die unless of course they are GM.

TCDD seems to have been a result of defective manufacturing processes and not a component of Agent Orange per se. See Wikipedia's section on Agent Orange's chemical description and toxicology.

Regardless, I can't find an association between 2,4,5-T and the herbicide glyphosate (Roundup), the herbicidal effects of which were discovered by a Monsanto chemist in 1970. Can you provide a link or other info? (Alas, I'm not a chemist.)
brec

Postby Joseph65 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:31 am

The base is still the same, 2,4,5-T as Roundup . The addition wasn't a mistake no matter what Monsanto said. If you want to believe Monsanto against the evidence presented in court go right ahead. There are plenty of apologists for the chemical and animal products industry whose opinion will continue to kill hundreds of thousands more in this country. You don't make a manufacturing error for sixteen straight years. It in fact enhanced the effectiveness as a defoliant and that was proved in the original court case in which I was involved along with thousands of other vets. Want to read about the current damage that Roundup is causing? Read the stories of cancer and birth defects that are currently occurring in Argentina from Roundup used on the soybean crop.
Joseph65

Postby dynodan62 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 am

I remember a fellow Viet vet/coworker (he was infantry, and directly/repeatedly exposed to agent orange) was involved with a big lawsuit (his children all had birth defects) back in the early 80s. If I recall correctly, it went nowhere (?).
Ironic how those that became burdened with handicapped dependents (because they believed they were defending their country) got stiffed by one chemical manufacturer with political influence (and the ungrateful government they were in bed with) despite incontrovertible proof, while at the same time a bunch of women who merely wanted bigger (silicon) boobs and got sick as a result, nearly bankrupted another (?) company, even though actual scientific evidence was lacking.
dynodan62

Postby brec » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 am

Joseph65 wrote:The base is still the same, 2,4,5-T as Roundup ...

What do you mean by "base"? The two molecules are quite dissimilar:

Glyphosate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glyph ... eletal.png
2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2,4,5 ... mbered.svg
brec

Postby veggie_balls » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

Joseph65 wrote:I've already been a victim of Monsanto once with cancer from exposure to Agent Orange. Roundup was formulated from the same chemical base as Agent Orange. That's why I stay away from any product that contains a GMO that was developed around Roundup. The genetics of the plant might or might not be dangerous but I know darn well that Roundup is a killer.

My God! I'm really sorry to hear about that! Even though people are saying that it's okay, I'm still VERY suspicious about it and avoid it all costs.
For your health and pleasure,

Veggie Balls
veggie_balls

Postby nayasmom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am

brec wrote:

2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxyacetic acid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2,4,5 ... mbered.svg

In this discussion, does the difference truly matter?
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Joseph65 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04 pm

The crimes of Monsanto 1901 to 2014. A bit overboard but essentially correct.

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2014/04/monsanto-1901-2014-timeline-of-crime-2530704.html
Joseph65

Postby brec » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 am

nayasmom wrote:
brec wrote:

In this discussion, does the difference truly matter?
Robyn

The discussion started with the question, "What are your thoughts on GMO foods and monsanto genetically modifying our food?"

It was claimed that Monsanto's Roundup herbicide product was derived from or based on a component of Agent Orange. I questioned that claim.

But to the larger point, no, I think the difference does not matter to this discussion. I think facts don't matter much.
brec

Previous

Return to The Lounge