Nice Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nice Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman

Postby Katydid » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:20 pm

While I am aware there are some Joel Fuhrman haters out there, I follow some of his nutritarian principles (I eat pounds of greens a day and try to get my G-BOMBS in with my McDougall starches). He recently gave a lovely short Tedx speech that even a staunch McDougaller should enjoy. :D it always amazes me to see the WFPB gurus on stage. They all seem so thin (or as Dr. McDougall's favorite video says -still trim). :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4katnfHzXA

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Re: Nice Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks Katy. I am no Fuhrman hater. I am mostly eating his diet now. I was doing more McDougall but the starches were driving my BG levels too high post meals and so I have backed off and I am doing more Fuhrman now. I have posted on many other websites, a few vegan and mostly non vegan just to see what others are doing and what they believe. Everybody sincerely believes in what they believe whether it is WFPB vegan, Paleo, LCHF, etc. When I have mentioned the major plant based docs in some of these other communities, most have heard of Fuhrman and McDougall...not so much Dr. Ess and Dean Ornish is a household name. Most either love McD or Fuhrman or hate them both. People have told me in other forums that both Dr. McD and Dr. Fuhrman are just pedaling their diets and books and the real motive behind these doctors like all the other celeb doctors is to make money. Although I do not personally believe this, there are many people who do and some of the posts are brutal. The internet is truly the wild wild west. I truly believe the PB docs are trying to help ppl and spare them from many of the medical conditions that disable and kill so many. Diseases that cut lifespan short by decades and leave the loved ones left behind devastated by the loss.

I will view the video link you posted in a few hours and post back. Thanks for sharing.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Everybody wants more money for the children and grandchildren and I see nothing wrong with the way Dr McDougall and Dr Fuhrman are trying to make more money. It is harder to find vegan doctors with the personality of Jesus Christ. I definitely don't agree with eating legumes 3x a day without the other cheap starch staples like nixtamal corn tortillas, rice, potato, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby openmind » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Katydid wrote:While I am aware there are some Joel Fuhrman haters out there, I follow some of his nutritarian principles (I eat pounds of greens a day and try to get my G-BOMBS in with my McDougall starches). He recently gave a lovely short Tedx speech that even a staunch McDougaller should enjoy. :D it always amazes me to see the WFPB gurus on stage. They all seem so thin (or as Dr. McDougall's favorite video says -still trim). :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4katnfHzXA

Kate

Fuhrman is the first doctor, through his book Eat Right America, that made me realize I had to fill my plate with veggies. After reading that book, I went from a weight of 220 down to a low of 185, but then found myself bouncing back up to 197. I first heard of Dr. McDougall last November, and since adopting his program, I have started losing weight again and am now down to a weight of 190, and meal preparation has become a hundred times easier under the Starch Solution guidelines.

Overall, I find the McDougall plan easier to follow, simpler to implement and something anyone can do.

As far as Fuhrmans personality, the only thing that really bothers me about him is the selling of supplements. I feel it dilutes his message. On the one hand he states, 'You can't get it in a bottle.' On the other hand, he peddles the same bottles of vitamins he disparages.
openmind

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Great video...

Can't argue with eat more greens and get more lean. :D Fuhrman should share more of the success stories on his website like Dr. McDougall does.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby openmind » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 pm

eXtremE wrote:Thanks Katy. I am no Fuhrman hater. I am mostly eating his diet now. I was doing more McDougall but the starches were driving my BG levels too high post meals and so I have backed off and I am doing more Fuhrman now.

Have you tried to to eat only one type of starch per meal? I have noticed with my wife that her BG tends to not go up so high if she combines unlimited amount of any one starch with a heaping plate of vegetables. And I guess the slight concern with the legume heavy Fuhrman plan is that it might be giving too much protein for diabetics.
openmind

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, I have tried eating like greens with my oatmeal. It does help some. I probably did some damage to my pancreas from all the years of drinking soft drinks and eating candy bars bf I began this WOE. Man, I would hate to see back then what I was spiking my BG levels up too. I am not eating a tremendous amount of beans, plus I am not a huge eater since I began eating this way. I can easily do well on just 1200 calories per day. As a matter of fact, I am struggling to get in this amount daily and not drop anymore weight.

I have to really watch the high glycemic starchy carbs for now until I can see if I can get my HbA1c to come down some. I am in that delicate pre-diabetic range it seems and I do not want to stress my pancreas anymore than necessary. I am still eating starches but I just greatly reduced them for now. I am eating much more salads and greens.

starches = McDougall
Greens = Furhman and Dr. Ess
Salads = Furhman

I am probably doing 65% Fuhrman now and 35% McD.
Last edited by eXtremE on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eXtremE

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:52 pm

openmind wrote: And I guess the slight concern with the legume heavy Fuhrman plan is that it might be giving too much protein for diabetics.

Thats nonsense…the plan that doctor Fuhrman advocates in THE END OF DIABETES is specifically designed to be low glycemic to benefit diabetics not harm them. Neither Dr. Mcdougalls nor Dr. Esselstyns diets take the glycemic load of the diet into account which is a-ok for a the general population just looking to lower cholesterol but who has no problem handling starches and so is not worried about their sugars as they have normal regulation of the glucose. Personally I found out the rice and potatoes do not work for myself.

High postprandial sugars raise the risk of heart attack also not just high cholesterol and thats not mentioning the diabetic neuropathy and other problems that high sugars so indeed cause. The normal human body will not allow sugars to spike into diabetic ranges no matter what type and amount of whole food starches someone is eating and so I choose to eat a glycemic load that I can handle that will keep me as close to being in normal numbers as nondabetics. It just seems like the common sense and safe choice for me to make to keep postprandials down.
astronaut23

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 pm

My impression or guess about some vegan preachers is that they do believe that an unrefined vegan diet can "reverse" t2 diabetes so that "reversed" diabetes can allow patients to eat the usual large amounts of cheap starch staples again like non diabetic people altho I don't know how many months or years does it take to "reverse" diabetes. In some traditional diets, the usual large amounts of cheap starch staples can reach as high as 90% of calories per day.
colonyofcells

Postby Daydream » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:07 am

That was excellent! Thanks Kate.
Daydream

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:39 am

eXtremE wrote:Fuhrman should share more of the success stories on his website like Dr. McDougall does.

Have you seen these:

https://www.drfuhrman.com/success/success.aspx
VeggieSue

Postby eXtremE » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:52 am

VeggieSue wrote:
eXtremE wrote:Fuhrman should share more of the success stories on his website like Dr. McDougall does.

Have you seen these:

https://www.drfuhrman.com/success/success.aspx

No, thanks Sue! Never noticed the button that says search success stories in the link you provided for even more stories. Thanks!
eXtremE

Postby sprout92 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:20 am

what exactly would the low GI starches be and the limit on fruit should be what? I want to eat more Fuhrman like
sprout92

Postby openmind » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:59 am

sprout92 wrote:what exactly would the low GI starches be and the limit on fruit should be what? I want to eat more Fuhrman like

Be careful with GI, because my understanding is that the whole GI index goes out the window when combining foods. For example's, rice has one GI, beans another, but if you combine rice and beans together, 1+1 might equal more than 2. Fuhrmans simplified diabetes plan is to eat mostly legumes and Greens. As far as fruit, he counsels to stick to green apples, berries, kiwi and a few other low sugar fruits- avoid bananas, pineapples nd high sugar fruits.
openmind

Postby eXtremE » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 am

I wish I liked the greens more. You can eat them all day and night. All nutrients and virtually zero calories.

I do like them but not enough to eat more than twice a day.
eXtremE

Next

Return to The Lounge