Nice Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nice Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman

Postby Katydid » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:48 am

sprout92 wrote:what exactly would the low GI starches be and the limit on fruit should be what? I want to eat more Fuhrman like

Actually, the only restriction on fruit is to eat three servings a day (more for athletes) and only use dried fruit like raisins and dates in recipes -not as a snack food. High GI starches include processed grains and pasta, russet/Idaho potatoes (if prone to blood sugar issues) and white or brown rice. Beans are the main starch in the Fuhrman diet, but other starches that he likes are sweet potatoes, the colorful waxy kind of potatoes like the little purple fingerlings, whole oats, quinoa and wheat berries, hard winter squashes like butternut, bean-based pastas (available in gluten-free section of stores) and colored rices like black forbidden or wild rice. The key is color. He doesn't use bread, but does allow a whole wheat pita for bean burgers or fillings. And, of course, lots and lots of raw and cooked greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, etc. Small amounts of nuts and seeds are encouraged, but not as snacks. Only as ingredients in salad dressings or desserts.

I tend to think of the differences between the program in terms more of cost more than anything else. Rather like the difference between organic and conventional produce. Do you chose cheap russett potatoes or Yukon gold? Do you buy red quinoa instead or white or black rice instead of brown? Are you fighting a serious disease or just looking to lose a few pounds? Both programs are great, but unless you have a compelling reason to spend the extra money, the Starch Solution provides adequate nutrition at a reasonable cost.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby chewy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:03 am

in Fuhrman's latest book "the End of Dieting" ,he does list different acceptable breads to use on page 273.
chewy

Postby astronaut23 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 am

All the plant based doctors diets are healthy because they are focused on healthy plant eating and not meat eating. Personally I think the diet wars are stupid. I remember in a video Mcdougall calling for unification. Non of the plant based doctors are the enemy in the nutrition world its the promotors of meat, dairy, eggs, oil that are the ones selling the public down the road to poor health and disease and people already want to hear good news about bad habits that you can eat all this rich foods they like and be healthy. Clearly the science is on the side of plant based eating especially when it comes to the area of coronary heart disease there is nothing else that shows the benefits of a plant based diet more than putting heart patients on a plant based diet and seeing how they improve. LOL…lets put the heart patients on a diet of meat, butter, eggs, and cheese and see how well they fair over time on their angiograms. Cmon Mercola fund a study and show what really happens to the arteries of people eating meat, butter, eggs, and oil.

My personal opinion based on my experience is that Fuhrmans diet with the emphasis on low glycemic beans is more beneficial for diabetics…imo. If you don't have diabetes though the paying attention to the glycemic load of the diet isn't gonna matter on bit. If the rice and potatoes don't spike your sugars like they do mine then other starches than the beans will be ok and perfectly healthy of you to eat. We all got to find what works best for us to maximize health and minimize chance for disease.

To me it don't make sense to spike my blood sugars up to 170 and 180 when I don't have to be doing that and I got other options of what to eat that won't do that.
astronaut23

Postby eXtremE » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Yeah, I agree Astro. You have to be very careful with diabetes and make sure things are being adequately controlled no matter which PB diet you choose to eat. I agree...the main focus of all the diets are PB so just find out what works best for you. Many here can't eat certain starhes and that is ok bc there are other options. :D

Not everyone with diabetes in remission can eat potatoes....some can, and some can not.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby joseph » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for posting the Tedx talk by Joel Fuhrman. I enjoy reading his opinions on diet as much as Dr. McDougall's opinions and seeing him give a talk was interesting.

I tend to follow my own ideas and really enjoy seeing the plant based doctors cite scientific studies and give reasons behind their medical opinions. I think they all have blind spots (who does not?) but both Fuhrman and McDougall will make you far more healthy than eating the food pyramid by the federal government.
joseph

Postby Crider » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:38 pm

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and he's 60 years old. Not bad!

When I eat grains and potatoes, I'm a McDougall follower. When I eat greens, I'm a Fuhrman follower. And when I eat fruit, I'm a Durian Rider follower [cuss, cuss, cuss]. :unibrow:
Crider

Postby Grammy Ginger » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Although I eat more grains and potatoes than I did on Dr Fuhrman's diet, I'll never give up the huge portions of greens that I learned to love on his program. I owe him a great debt for opening my eyes and teaching me a few things about nutrition. He tilted my planet with his revolutionary ideas. It wasn't until later that I found the other nutrition docs, who rounded out my approach. Greens do indeed make one lean.

It was all the Fuhrman bashing that made me quit participating on this forum for a time. Hope all that's in the past.
Grammy Ginger

Postby joseph » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote: ... It was all the Fuhrman bashing that made me quit participating on this forum for a time. Hope all that's in the past.

I certainly hope I never see any Fuhrman bashing here. After all, there is darn little difference in the diets of most of the plant based doctors other than emphasis. Matters of degree and not of kind.

I eat tons of salad, a lot of fruit, lots of black beans, lots of tomato, but brown and black rice are my favorite things. I guess I am a hybrid between the two of them. :-)
joseph

Postby Katydid » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

Well, let's look at Dr. Fuhrman's minimum recommendations:

1. Eat a large raw salad every day.
2. Eat at least 1/2 cup of beans or other legumes every day.
3. Eat two large servings of steamed green vegetables every day (one should be cruciferous).
4. Eat 1 oz. of nuts and seeds a day. Don't use nuts as snacks; only in recipes and salad dressings. Half of the nuts and seed allowance should be in the form of high omega-3/high lignin seeds like flax, chia or hemp. Oil is not allowed.
5. Use plenty of onions, mushrooms and tomatoes in cooking.
6. Eat at least three servings of fruit a day. Make one serving (1 cup) berries.

If IN ADDITION to the above you want to add additional starches, Dr. Fuhrman prefers you choose those with the highest phytochemical content and avoid excessively processed grains: sweet potatoes over white potatoes, forbidden black rice over white rice, whole grain sprouted breads over white bread, and so on. My own opinion is that this is probably overkill, given the above instructions.

I can't eat beans or nuts (or gluten, tomatoes, or white potatoes for that matter), but I combine aspects of both doctors' plans. A bit more 'green and yellow' vegetables and seeds than might be called for in the Starch Solution, and a good deal more grains than called for by Dr. Fuhrman (without beans, gluten-free grains and sweet potatoes are my main protein sources).

This isn't religious dogma for me... It's a science project :D I have three (possibly four) serious autoimmune diseases and I am determined to do whatever it takes to control them with diet alone.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby babybuddha » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:58 am

Dr Fuhrman is charismatic and articulate and a media friendly advocate of PB eating imo. I used his materials before finding Dr McDougall's work. I find Dr F's emphasis on micro-nutrients and phyto-nutrients helpful and continually refer to his 'andi' scores which place greens at the top.

He has also done a lot of work around recipe development. I agree with his emphasis on salad/raw food too and he is also non-dogmatic about v*ganism. https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article5.aspx

I did baulk at his subscription membership for his site, but hey-ho a fellow has a right to earn a buck.

I found Dr McDougalls protocol to be easier to adhere to and gave faster weightloss results, but do find myself revisiting 'Eat to Live' and gravitating more towards those principles as a longterm eating arrangement. Almost like a refinement, having understood the nuts and bolts of WFPB. ITs an individual journey and we may need to tweak/hack to maintain optimum health.
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby davestill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:30 am

To those most versed in Furhman's books: If I were to read just one Furhman book, which one should I read? Eat To Live? I'm not interested in any particular focus (weight loss, diabetes, etc.).

Also, how well founded is Furhman's Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) with regard to actual outcomes?
davestill

Postby openmind » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:21 pm

davestill wrote:To those most versed in Furhman's books: If I were to read just one Furhman book, which one should I read? Eat To Live? I'm not interested in any particular focus (weight loss, diabetes, etc.).

Also, how well founded is Furhman's Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) with regard to actual outcomes?

I have not read 'Eat To Live', but there is a short book titled 'Eat Right America" which is very good.

As to your 2nd question, I doubt there's been any studies done using the ANDI . As long as you are getting a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet, you don't need to worry too much about whether kale has more phytonutrients than broccoli, IMO.
openmind

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Dr Mcdougall diet is pretty much starch + the gbombs (vegetables, legumes, herbs herb teas spices, cooked mushrooms, fruits, nuts seeds, seaweeds, fermented foods, etc) of Dr Fuhrman so there is no need to buy any book of Dr Fuhrman. I prefer sprouted grains and sprouted legumes. Today in the office, I microwaved sprouted quinoa, sprouted mung bean, plus a mix of fresh sprouted garbanzo, adzuki, lentil and pea, plus some seaweed, various spices. I also added miso, lime peel powder, chives, brewers yeast, and organic triphala powder, red wine vinegar, black pepper. I run to costco after eating.
colonyofcells

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I don't have time to sprout so I just buy truroots organic sprouted quinoa trio, truroots sprouted mung, truroots sprouted lentil trio, banner mountain sprouts mix of fresh sprouted garbanzo, adzuki, lentil and pea. I also like sprouted buckwheat which can be bought on the internet. I recently got cookbooks kansha (japanese buddhist vegan), chinese vegan, and india vegetarian to get more ideas. I also have a cookbook called kulinarya: a guidebook to philippine cuisine. Favorite filipino taste is sour usually via vinegar, citrus, tamarind, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby Mely » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 am

Katydid wrote:Well, let's look at Dr. Fuhrman's minimum recommendations:

1. Eat a large raw salad every day.
2. Eat at least 1/2 cup of beans or other legumes every day.
3. Eat two large servings of steamed green vegetables every day (one should be cruciferous).
4. Eat 1 oz. of nuts and seeds a day. Don't use nuts as snacks; only in recipes and salad dressings. Half of the nuts and seed allowance should be in the form of high omega-3/high lignin seeds like flax, chia or hemp. Oil is not allowed.
5. Use plenty of onions, mushrooms and tomatoes in cooking.
6. Eat at least three servings of fruit a day. Make one serving (1 cup) berries.

If IN ADDITION to the above you want to add additional starches, Dr. Fuhrman prefers you choose those with the highest phytochemical content and avoid excessively processed grains: sweet potatoes over white potatoes, forbidden black rice over white rice, whole grain sprouted breads over white bread, and so on. My own opinion is that this is probably overkill, given the above instructions.
Kate

Kate - are these recommendations in Dr. F's new book? His recommendations are slightly different in Eat to Live. For example, he says a minimum of 1 cup of beans a day and 4 fruits but you can eat more of both. He also says 1 cup of starches a day like potato, oatmeal.

I'm learning that everyone is different so I don't think one diet fits all. I tried more starches and no beans for about a week and didn't feel good at all. I felt bloated and gained a bit of weight. As soon as I went back to my beans I felt a lot better. I need a tremendous amount of fiber in my diet and that's where the beans come in. Eating this way has reversed my IBS and keeps me regular. Others can't handle so much fiber and a starchy diet is better for them.
Mely

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge