Sugar is the culprit! (?)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sugar is the culprit! (?)

Postby nayasmom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:25 am

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-stopped-eating-sugar-happened-202700552.html

Interesting article, because of what foods this family actually cut out. Yet, the author never makes the connection between the amount of processed food-like products she was gulping down and feeding her family and the overall effects.
The author also promotes the myth of sugar causing overweight and diabetes.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Re: Sugar is the culprit! (?)

Postby openmind » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:29 am

nayasmom wrote:https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-stopped-eating-sugar-happened-202700552.html

Interesting article, because of what foods this family actually cut out. Yet, the author never makes the connection between the amount of processed food-like products she was gulping down and feeding her family and the overall effects.
Robyn

It's hard to comment without knowing what their exact diet was, but while cutting down added sugars, they also cut out a lot of added oils and other bad stuff too.
openmind

Postby nayasmom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42 am

openmind wrote:
nayasmom wrote:https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-stopped-eating-sugar-happened-202700552.html

Robyn

It's hard to comment without knowing what their exact diet was, but while cutting down added sugars, they also cut out a lot of added oils and other bad stuff too.

That's what I mean. She mentions bacon, lunchmeat, etc, along with the processed baked products. I had to wonder how much cooking from scratch this family actually consumed before? After all, there's a huge difference, regardless what is on the menu, between eating processed food-like products and eating whole-food meals cooked from scratch at home.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby landog » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:51 am

nayasmom wrote:The author also promotes the myth of sugar causing overweight....

I say, good for them!

Certainly sugar is "a" culprit of the negative health effects of our collective Western diet.
I don't doubt the "myth" of sugar as a contributing cause of overweight / obesity.
landog

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:49 am

Sugar is just one of the many processed foods and refined foods that are pushing out vegetables from the diets. Sugar is a good fuel and is ok as long as you also eat lots of vegetables and the fuel is used up in exercise.
colonyofcells

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:50 am

landog wrote:
nayasmom wrote:The author also promotes the myth of sugar causing overweight....

I say, good for them!

Certainly sugar is "a" culprit of the negative health effects of our collective Western diet.
I don't doubt the "myth" of sugar as a contributing cause of overweight / obesity.

Just like any food we tend to think if a little is ok, then more must be better. I like Dr. McDougall's take on sugar. A little bit to make the food taste better is ok, but not gobs and gobs of it. Most of us eat way too much sugar and just going through the process of getting rid of the extra sugar is beneficial...both from the sugar aspect and from the processed food aspect. I think of Dr. Campbell's book "Whole" as well. With so many interactions going on in our bodies daily, we can't say that sugar doesn't play a role in obesity. This mom might not have all the truth, but she's at least trying.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby nayasmom » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 pm

My concern is that the author attributes the increase in good health to cutting out sweeteners, when most likely it was the elimination of all the garbage that she and her family used to consume with impunity; the processed stuff. The promotion is that sugar is bad, like the other diets that promote that carbs are bad. In and of themselves, neither is bad. It's the overabundance of garbage that's bad... or the over-reliance on that garbage, take your pick.
Long live gluttony.
Robyn

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Crider » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm

In addition to that book, with the upcoming release of the documentary FED UP (trailer) on May 9, I'm beginning to realize that the sensationalism around the film could push our food culture more toward carbophobia. That trailer features Dr. Mark Hyman (a paleo guy), Dr Robert Lustig ('it's not the fat, it's the sugar'), and our good friend Gary Taubes.

Their theory is that US federal dietary guidelines about eating less fat 'forced' the packaged food industry to substitute sugar and refined carbohydrates for that lost 'healthy' fat in their products.

I don't do sugar myself or refined grains, but I also don't do fat and animal products either. Those paleo people treat cholesterol as if it was an essential nutrient!
Crider

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:18 pm

The processed food combination of sugar, fat and salt is deadlier than the individual components which probably explains why high fat also works for weight loss aside from high carb. The advantage of high carb unrefined plants is that you get more micronutrients to prevent more chronic diseases. High fat foods tend to have less micronutrients and more calories than high carb unrefined plants. The longevity blue zones tend to be high carb. For example, the 1949 okinawa diet had almost no nuts and seeds.
colonyofcells

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 am

Crider wrote:In addition to that book, with the upcoming release of the documentary FED UP (trailer) on May 9, I'm beginning to realize that the sensationalism around the film could push our food culture more toward carbophobia. That trailer features Dr. Mark Hyman (a paleo guy), Dr Robert Lustig ('it's not the fat, it's the sugar'), and our good friend Gary Taubes.

It gets worse. I just wrote a post about Dr. Hyman and the Clintons:

http://drmcdougall.com//forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42464

They even appear in that movie pushing low carb/paleo.

(ETA I wrote about the Pres in the movie before watching the trailer. I see he's in that, too, so it's not news.)
VeggieSue

Postby MikeInFL » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:30 am

Dr Oz will discuss the harm of refined sugar on April 21 show. can't wait
MikeInFL

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 am

MikeInFL wrote:Dr Oz will discuss the harm of refined sugar on April 21 show. can't wait

Thats good as a type 2 diabetic I'm certainly no fan of refined sugar. Added sugars is the last thing I want in my diet. Americans are eating pounds and pounds of this nutrition less empty calorie garbage a year. Its a big part of whats wrong with the SAD and overweight and obesity problem. How much sugar is in one can of soda alone? I eat fruits but thats the only simple sugar I get. Mine comes packaged with fiber and phytochemicals, antioxidants, ect. Its not nutrition less crap thats had everything good about the food extracted and thrown away and just a big source of empty calories. :D
astronaut23

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 pm

A 2 liter btl of pop has about 1200 liquid calories and I know ppl who can guzzle down two of these babies in a 24 hour period. It certainly is partly responsible, with the high fat diet, for the obesity and diabetic epidemic we have in America today and this is coming from a recovering soda addict. :D
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby dteresa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 pm

sugar can add up. I think I must be getting an awful lot using honey mustard and balsamic vinegar as a dressing on potatoes, vegies and salads.

didi
dteresa

Postby olindaspider » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm

MikeInFL wrote:Dr Oz will discuss the harm of refined sugar on April 21 show. can't wait

Dr Oz is really starting to annoy me. He is no longer a doctor, but a TV personality and entertainer. He will show anything that keeps his show popular and the ratings going strong.
olindaspider

Next

Return to The Lounge