Link to Dr. McDougall's Multiple Sclerosis Research paper

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Link to Dr. McDougall's Multiple Sclerosis Research paper

Postby wheatgrass » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi,

I have been watching old educational videos posted by Dr. McDougall, in one of them he talks about Dr. Rob Swank and how he is taking forward his research on Multiple Sclerosis. That particular video is from 2008-2009. I was wondering if that M.S. research has completed and if so can someone point me to the link of that published paper.

Thanks,
wheatgrass

Re: Link to Dr. McDougall's Multiple Sclerosis Research pape

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Results don't seem to be released yet. Talks say weight went down and cholesterol went down.
colonyofcells

Postby docscience » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

This is the latest talk describing the MS diet that I have located. September 20, 2013.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZdI8jinIw
Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Diseases: The Impact of Diet presented by John McDougall, MD at Northwest VEG's Enhancing Health with Plant-Based Nutrition medical conference recorded on September 20, 2013.
-(39:11 patients reviews)
-(46:25 study description)
-(48:00 study finished mar2013)
-(50:00 results)

I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby f1jim » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am

I've been told to look for official publication in April.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby mmms » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 am

GREAT NEWS... SOME SUCCESS WITH CURE FOR PROGRESSIVE MS ... http://medianet.com.au/releases/release ... ?id=794453 :) :-D
mmms

Postby docscience » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 pm

To: mmms RE:
GREAT NEWS... SOME SUCCESS WITH CURE FOR PROGRESSIVE MS

In the article, it says :
There are currently no disease-modifying treatments available for progressive MS patients.

This article is incorrect and misleading information. You have not read about the Mcdougall research. Dr. John Mcdougall said the 2 forms, of MS were the same and were treated the same, and that research done several decades ago, proved that more than 90 % of cases of all types of MS had no further progression of MS, when eating a strict plant food diet.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby mmms » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:32 pm

mmms wrote: here are currently no disease-modifying treatments available for progressive MS patients.

This article is incorrect and misleading information. You have not read about the Mcdougall research. Dr. John Mcdougall said the 2 forms, of MS were the same and were treated the same, and that research done several decades ago, proved that more than 90 % of cases of all types of MS had no further progression of MS, when eating a strict plant food diet.

DEAR DRSCIENCE,

I HAVE READ ALL OF DR MCDOUGALL'S ARTICLES, AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY ..... I STILL HAVE MS AND IT IS GETTING WORSE....
AS THE ARTICLE REFERS TO AN UNPROVEN TREATMENT, THE ARTICLE IS CORRECT AS THIS NEW TREATMENT HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON 1 PERSON WITH SUCCESS..... SO CAN NOT BE CALLED A TREATMENT...... YET.

IF THIS ARTICLE IS TRUE... ABOUT EBV BEING A ACTIVE FACTOR IN MS.... WE SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY BE LOOKING AT WAYS OF KILLING THIS VIRUS OFF :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
mmms

Postby docscience » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:12 pm

In that case, I am mistaken, on this. I hope Dr. Mcdougall can comment on this, or someone else who has good knowledge about the subject. I had heard about the 90 % figure, and will check to see where I read that.
Thankyou for the correction.
docscience

Postby dinska » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

docscience wrote:In that case, I am mistaken, on this. I hope Dr. Mcdougall can comment on this, or someone else who has good knowledge about the subject. I had heard about the 90 % figure, and will check to see where I read that.
Thankyou for the correction.

It actually says that right on the MS resource page, but specifies early MS:

Too few people are told that within 10 years of diagnosis, even with the best treatments available, nearly half of those with Multiple Sclerosis will be wheelchair bound, bedridden, or dead. Given this hard look at the reality of MS, more people would be interested in a treatment that is cost-free, side-effect-free and stops the disease in over 90% of those people with early disease. The low-fat diet treatment for MS was developed by Roy Swank, MD, former head of the department of Neurology at the Oregon Health & Science University. He has treated more than 5000 people over the past 50 years and the results are remarkable.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... sclerosis/
dinska

Postby danny2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 am

docscience wrote:This is the latest talk describing the MS diet that I have located. September 20, 2013.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZdI8jinIw
Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Diseases: The Impact of Diet presented by John McDougall, MD at Northwest VEG's Enhancing Health with Plant-Based Nutrition medical conference recorded on September 20, 2013.
-(39:11 patients reviews)
-(46:25 study description)
-(48:00 study finished mar2013)
-(50:00 results)

Thanks for the youtube link as I had been searching for hints on the timeframe of the Oregon study occurring from February 2009 to March 2013. The results are worth watching as Mcdougall points out that the sustained cholesterol reduction rivals the best statin treatments. I'm also pleasantly surprised at the very direct answer he gives a questioner when discussing GMO and gluten-free foods and whether or not we should be concerned with a 1% problem versus a 50% problem. If anyone is just casually reading this right now, skip the video ahead to 1:00:30 and watch the full 5 minutes to see what I'm talking about.
danny2

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

here is a ted talk by dr. Wahls. The specific information from ted talks says this talk is outside the curatorial guidlines of the ted talks. I have no idea what they mean by this.

Dr. Wahls was in a special chair because of MS and getting worse. She said she researched the mitochondria and she came upon Loren Cordain's work on the paleo diet. Mostly she suggests eliminating processed foods, wheat, barley and rye. I could not get if she also meant to eliminate potatoes and corn and other whole grains or root crops.

She does recommend three platefuls or nine cups per day of vegetables like lots of kale, and other leafy greens, sulfur containing foods like garlic and onions and cruciferous vegetables, seaweed at least once a week for iodine, other vegetables like beets,red peppers and other colorful vegetables, fish for omega threes, grass fed meat and organ meat once a week, such as liver. Sounds a lot like the Fuhrman diet except she adds fish and grass fed meat and organ meats. Fewer starches.

I think she may have run studies on this so you might be able to look it up. I do not know how long term the studies were or how they compare to dr. McD's studies or dr. Swanks studies, or what the success rate is. I do think the fish gives needed omega threes which also contain the EPA and DHA already formed but other wise I do not know why flaxseed would not be satisfactory instead of fish. Unless some people specifically cannot convert the omega threes to DHA. I do not know if the organ meats and grass fed meat actually help the MS or if the rest of the diet is so beneficial that eating this stuff does not matter. And it isn't clear from her if she adds potatoes, corn or other grains, much in the matter of a MWL diet in smaller portions.

Until the McD study comes out with a careful explanation of what people are eating and how they are recovering we only have the swank diet to compare the Wahl's diet to. There is one other diet similar to the swank diet but I forget the name of the researcher who was successful.

mmms has been eating the McD diet and is showing no improvement and in fact is getting worse. He or she should know his own health status and should possibly try something else. Maybe different people react in different ways or need a different approach. How long does someone have to wait in order to see if one woe is working or if he should try something else?

didi
dteresa

Postby Joseph65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:16 pm

I don’t understand what all the hoopla is about. Just a few days ago someone posted the findings from the report. It was a bust. I don’t understand why anyone would be surprised. There are some diseases that are diet related and many others which are not. I wouldn’t expect those that aren’t would be cured by any diet. Let’s face it not everything that goes wrong with the human body can be attributed to diet. Let’s be thankful for the diet caused diseases that are easily handled by the plants and not be disappointed because Dr. McDougall can’t fix a broken heart with starch.
Joseph65

Postby f1jim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:27 pm

It might be a bust. It might not. Let's get the published data and look closely at what it tells us. Till then let's not go crazy with either position.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby davestill » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Joseph65 wrote:I don’t understand what all the hoopla is about. Just a few days ago someone posted the findings from the report. It was a bust. I don’t understand why anyone would be surprised. There are some diseases that are diet related and many others which are not. I wouldn’t expect those that aren’t would be cured by any diet. Let’s face it not everything that goes wrong with the human body can be attributed to diet. Let’s be thankful for the diet caused diseases that are easily handled by the plants and not be disappointed because Dr. McDougall can’t fix a broken heart with starch.

Did you not read the following from Dr. McDougall (also posted above)?

Given this hard look at the reality of MS, more people would be interested in a treatment that is cost-free, side-effect-free and stops the disease in over 90% of those people with early disease. The low-fat diet treatment for MS was developed by Roy Swank, MD, former head of the department of Neurology at the Oregon Health & Science University. He has treated more than 5000 people over the past 50 years and the results are remarkable.

My reading of the 'bust' report you speak of is that it is only preliminary, but I hope Dr. McDougall will clarify its significance (or lack thereof) for us.
davestill

Postby danny2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Joseph65 wrote:I don’t understand what all the hoopla is about. Just a few days ago someone posted the findings from the report. It was a bust.

That was me. I would call it neither a bust nor a success -- if anything, it's a "not enough information," and "further study needed." The early results say there was no significant changes in the subjects' conditions in the 1-year time allotted during this particular study -- that's it. You theoretically can't say anything pro-MS or con-MS because even the control group showed no change in their condition. However, the study is still significant in terms of other benefits that can be had -- and this study proves the diet is "safe" to follow, and perhaps that may very well convince others that this type of diet is not as "extreme" as they might have initially thought. I believe that's a significant milestone that they have accomplished, even if they didn't find an MS connection (in the time allotted.)

I'm also interested in reading the full report because there are still unanswered questions I yet have.
danny2

Next

Return to The Lounge