Barnard's reco to eliminate multi vitamins with minerals....

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Barnard's reco to eliminate multi vitamins with minerals....

Postby BroccoliForever » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks to a posting by HealthyGirlsKitchen, I watched the 3/8/13 video of the Dr. Oz show featuring Dr. Barnard.

If you have not yet watched this video, I would highly recommend it.
He describes the link between Alzheimer's and metal deposits in the brain, specifically, iron, copper and zinc.

Dr. Barnard also talks about how multi vitamins today have a lot of minerals in them which you should avoid taking. He recommends if you want/need to take a multi vitamin, to find one without minerals. I am concerned about this because my husband takes a multi vitamin with minerals. When I told him about Barnard's reco, he insisted he needs the multi vitamin with minerals because one mineral, selenium, is positively associated with helping to prevent prostate cancer.

What advice, if any do any of you have with regard to this?
BroccoliForever

Re: Barnard's reco to eliminate multi vitamins with minerals

Postby Katydid » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Buy a bag of brazil nuts. One brazil nut has two days worth of selenium and tastes better thn a multivitamin.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Steelhead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:11 pm

BroccoliForever wrote:Thanks to a posting by HealthyGirlsKitchen, I watched the 3/8/13 video of the Dr. Oz show featuring Dr. Barnard.

If you have not yet watched this video, I would highly recommend it.
He describes the link between Alzheimer's and metal deposits in the brain, specifically, iron, copper and zinc.

Dr. Barnard also talks about how multi vitamins today have a lot of minerals in them which you should avoid taking. He recommends if you want/need to take a multi vitamin, to find one without minerals. I am concerned about this because my husband takes a multi vitamin with minerals. When I told him about Barnard's reco, he insisted he needs the multi vitamin with minerals because one mineral, selenium, is positively associated with helping to prevent prostate cancer.

What advice, if any do any of you have with regard to this?

I participated in the SELECT Study where selenium and vitamin E were used to determine if their use helped with prostate cancer. The Study was terminated years earlier than planned because using supplements of selenium and vitamin E actually increased the incident of prostate cancer. (In the Study, one group received a placebo for both selenium and vitamin E, one group received a placebo for selenium, and an actual supplement for vitamin E, and one group received a placebo for vitamin E and an actual supplement of selenium, and one group received received actual supplements of selenium and vitamin E. All groups were stopped and each group was informed of what supplements they were getting, if any, and what action to take -- such as continual followup due to the increased risk of prostate cancer taking these supplements over the several years before the Study was abruptly stopped.)

Obviously, Brazil nuts are loaded with selenium, but so is brown rice, nutritional yeast, and other foods. So, if someone is concerned about getting selenium then just eating lots of brown rice will give more than sufficient.

I have noticed that lots of prostate supplements do contain selenium and many also contain Vitamin E, among other things, but the SELECT Study suggests strongly that these supplements be avoided.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 am

Has anyone tried to find a multi-vitamin without minerals? My husband also takes one and I have not been able to find one that is JUST vitamins.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:15 am

Wild4Stars wrote:Has anyone tried to find a multi-vitamin without minerals? My husband also takes one and I have not been able to find one that is JUST vitamins.

If you are following the McDougall program, you don't really need a multivitamin. If you use the CRONometer to track your food, you'll see that you're getting virtually all you daily requirements nd then some.

Because of the hazards associated with multivitamins (not just minerals, but things like isolated vitamin A and beta carotene, and the substitution of folic acid for folate) Dr. McDougall does not recommend vitamin supplimentation (except, of course, for B12).

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_supplements.html

However, if you or your spouse feel the need to take a multi, the safest one I've come across is Dr. Fuhrman's Gentle Care formula. It isn't cheap, but it is 100% vegan, free of copper and iron, uses vegan forms of vitamins D, K and calcium, has no added A, beta carotene or folic acid, and, because Dr. Fuhrman recommend a salt-free diet, a small amount of iodine. You can read up on it here if interested:
http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/pdf_produ ... lecare.pdf

I took a vegan chewable children's multi for a while last year while doing the elimitation diet for an autoimmune disease. But once I established a control diet high in greens, vegetables, fruits, seeds and colored starches like sweet potato and winter squash taking a vitamin became a waste of money and a possible risk factor.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby BroccoliForever » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Steelhead wrote: I participated in the SELECT Study where selenium and vitamin E were used to determine if their use helped with prostate cancer. The Study was terminated years earlier than planned because using supplements of selenium and vitamin E actually increased the incident of prostate cancer. ...I have noticed that lots of prostate supplements do contain selenium and many also contain Vitamin E, among other things, but the SELECT Study suggests strongly that these supplements be avoided.

Steelhead: Thanks so much for sharing this information. Scary stuff!

Steelhead wrote: Obviously, Brazil nuts are loaded with selenium, but so is brown rice, nutritional yeast, and other foods.
Yes! I love Brazil nuts, so when Katydid suggested them, I'm thinking "hooray!" and drooling a little about those little guys hanging around in the house just waiting to be eaten. :) But, alas, I lack self-control in the nuts department sometimes. I wasn't aware that brown rice was a good source. This is very good because we eat brown rice several times a week.

Thanks to you and also to Katydid!
BroccoliForever

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Yes, if you follow this WOE and only eat whole, plant-based foods to include Whole Grains, Legumes, Veggies and Fruits, you should only need B12 drops and perhaps Vitamin D, depending on where you live.
Ltldogg

Return to The Lounge