Jimmy Moore's new diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jimmy Moore's new diet

Postby didi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc96Lk1VVS4

I do not think you will want to watch this but I gave the link because I am writing about it. He gained weight after his huge weight loss on his original low carb weight loss diet because--he says--he ate too much lean protein and protein turns to sugar in the body. So essentially sugar caused him to gain weight. He does not explain why, if his diet caused him to lose weight, it suddenly caused him to gain weight. If it was a weight gaining diet, why did he lose in the first place? That protein must have been turning to sugar all along.

His new diet on which he is again losing weight uses something he calls nutritional ketosis. (He references a book he read which put him on the right track but I could not make it out from the video.) Now his diet, instead of a lean piece of skinless chicken and some vegies, is 85% fat, 12% protein and 3% carbs. He uses a blood sugar monitor, a blood ketone monitor (the urine tests strips are not good enough) and a scale to test his progress.) Plus he takes some supplements including one which I also could not make out which is supposed to keep his blood sugar low.

He has had a ct scan and has zero calcium in his arteries, and his A1c and CRP are amazingly low. His HDL is 65, his triglycerides 44, he has only 200 particles out of 3000 that are small dense LDL, the rest are large and fluffy. His total cholesterol is 385 and his LDL is 285. He is not worried.

He eats sour cream, cream cheese, hard cheese, grass fed beef, coconut oil, butter, hard cheese, salty fish oil, pastured eggs (as he says), coconut oil and coconut and a couple of other things I can't remember. He only shows one of his meals, breakfast which consists of four eggs cooked in two or three tablespoons of butter, with three ounces of hard cheese added and three tablespoons of sour cream on top.

He says he is not hungry, eats only when hungry and can go several hours without eating. Anyone familiar with Atkins knows that, despite claims of some magic metabolic processes, Atkins dieters lose weight because they eat fewer calories. They can do this because they are not hungry--at least while they stick to the diet. It might also be worth noting that during starvation (which ketosis mimics) sufferers actually, contrary to what one might think, do not feel hunger after about three days of starvation.

Jimmy is writing a book about his progress. Who would have thought? Jimmy has lots of followers and lots of people who have been basing their diet on what they read on his web site. Which, according to him was all wrong. I am wondering if those fans will smell a rat or will now follow him down the path of Nutritional Ketosis?

Didi
didi

Re: Jimmy Moore's new diet

Postby Katydid » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 am

This is, of course, nonsense. Proteins are not simply converted to 'sugar' by the body. They are converted to amino acids. A very few of those amino acids have the right carbon structure that they can then be converted to glucose. Not sugar - glucose. And as any one who has done even a moderate amount of study into this WOE knows, glucose is rarely if ever stored as fat. It's converted to either glycogen for energy, fed directly to the brain or burned to generate body heat.

Jimmy got fat because he ate too damn much fat. Switching to an even higher fat diet may make him sick enough to lose weight, but does nothing to stop 'sugar' production. Fat is made up of triglycerides - that's 3 fatty acids connected to a molecule of glycerol. And the body has no problem converting glycerol back to glucose. It's all part of the body's natural metabolic function.

If Jimmy Moore wants to make himself insulin resistant and give himself heart disease that's his business. But to promote this type of dangerous diet is criminal IMHO.

Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ulialen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:32 am

Finally!!!!!
Great!
For the first time in my life i have seen a person with cholesterol higher (even of only 5 points) of the mine.
He have 385 against my 380 of 1 year and half ago.
And the person that to obtain such a record could only to be a low carb supporter. He could only be a "real nutritionist genius".

The difference between me and this "genius", is that i was not happy of that and immidiatly i stop to eat cheese and meat.

I also dont comment when he speak about the sugar. He say phrase full of evident nutritional and biochimic mistakes.

What i can say is that low carb have people like this that dont know of what they are speaking, high carb lowfat plant base have people as plantpositive to speak of nutritional arguments.
ulialen

Postby ulialen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:37 am

The genius of this "genius" permit also to us to understand that high carb can only lower cholesterol and that fat raice up cholesterol.

he stop to eat carb ---------------------> cholesterol raise to 385.

We have to thank this genius to attest this good thing.
ulialen

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 am

It's funny - except when you realize that some people actually follow his advice.

LOL, and he's still fat.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Wildapple » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 am

I could almost feel my arteries clogging just reading the list of what he eats. :eek:
Wildapple

Postby ronald11103 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 am

......how many ways can you spell A T K I N S.......????? :-D :) :D
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby didi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 pm

I was not outraged at all but found the video humorous and am amazed that his followers will almost certainly hop on his latest bandwagon of "nutritional ketosis". And his publisher has already asked him to write another book about his latest diet experience. I believe there have already been posted a couple of Jimmy Moore spoofs on this website and on vegsource. I don't recall any complaints about their posting. I thought his latest talk in Australia was even funnier if more time consuming. Of course it is not at all funny that hundreds if not thousands might follow his advice.

Jimmy Moore should read Atkins' book, Dr. Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough in which the low carb guru tells how diabetics "adjust" to his diet and their sugars start to rise. So he adds grains to the diets of some of his diabetic patients.

Didi
didi

Postby ronald11103 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I think videos like this (and other similar info) are useful......."Know Thy Enemy!"
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby JosephJacovino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Where does the guy get his fiber? The new diet he's on seems to be extremely unhealthy. The only thing he's going to lose in the long run is his life. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into his warped way of eating.

Ldl of 385? The poor man will be dropping dead soon if he doesn't go on lipitor or change his diet fast. There is no amount of paleo broscience that will save his injured arteries and heart.
JosephJacovino

Postby Debbie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

ronald11103 wrote:I think videos like this (and other similar info) are useful......."Know Thy Enemy!"

That is why I think it is every useful to post stuff like this. I don't know about scooterpie or anyone else, but at least half of the people I know are following some kind of subset of a low carb diet. Whether they call it paleo, Atkins or high protein, even my friends who are all super athletic follow some sort of this. In fact, one friend recently posted a pic of "casein frosting". :eek: :shock: I don't recall everything in it now, but it looks nasty and her quote was good for the muscles. I have a couple of friends who eat like that and workout an awful lot.

Until a couple of months ago, I had no clue who Jimmy Moore even was. Not until someone posted about him here. Because of someone posting about him, I now have enough knowledge to keep a conversation going when someone says they are following his diet, high fat cause protein turns to sugar, instead of having to go research it then come back........looking like an idiot. I do that well enough on my own. ;-)

And he gets his fiber from pills and powders. :roll:

Edit: Excuse me......pb casein frosting. Casein chocolate protein powder, a dash of PB whey powder, maybe 1/2 tablespoon of PB and about 2 spoonfuls of non fat plain greek yogurt.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby jay kaye » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 pm

didi wrote:
He says he is not hungry, eats only when hungry and can go several hours without eating. Anyone familiar with Atkins knows that, despite claims of some magic metabolic processes (Nutritional Ketosis), Atkins dieters lose weight because they eat fewer calories. They can do this because they are not hungry--at least while they stick to the diet. It might also be worth noting that during starvation (which ketosis mimics) sufferers actually, contrary to what one might think, do not feel hunger after about three days of starvation.

As Dr. McDougall has said many times, these people are are not hungry because they are making themselves sick. Being a hard core drug addict or alcoholic, or having a major cancer or other severe disease will have the same effect.

Unfortunately, many people will accept this way of self induced sickness as a misguided way for weight loss.

j
jay kaye

Postby lamazemama2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Wow. I'm very concerned for that man and for the many that will follow him.

:-(
Lisa, mom of 4 great boys (10,8,4, and 1), homemaker and childbirth educator
lamazemama2

Postby JosephJacovino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Ok, so he does get some fiber then..
That being said, Plant foods are more than fiber, does he at least eat foods like kale and spinach? Broccoli? Carrots, etc?

His nutritional beliefs fly in the face of all nutritional research, quite frankly a grown man who is many years older than I should know better, especially one who rights books and supposedly cares about health.

Dr. Mcdougall has it right: There are 1.7 billion obese asians living off of starch and rice.... yeah right. To deny your natural cravings for sweet and starchy foods is to deny your very biology, lets hope mr. Moore realizes this.
Last edited by JosephJacovino on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JosephJacovino

Postby ulialen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm

JosephJacovino wrote:Where does the guy get his fiber? The new diet he's on seems to be extremely unhealthy. The only thing he's going to lose in the long run is his life. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into his warped way of eating.

Ldl of 385? The poor man will be dropping dead soon if he doesn't go on lipitor or change his diet fast. There is no amount of paleo broscience that will save his injured arteries and heart.

Low carbers think that without inflammation cholesterol is not dangerous.
For that he have checked crp and he have said that he have it very low.
But low carbers have to ask people that suffer of hypercolesterolemia familial homozigote to see if it is cholesterol or inflammation that cause hearth desease.

High LDL alone is a risk factor of heart desease. If LDL is high, hdl or inflammation have very few importance.
ulialen

Next

Return to The Lounge