Push-ups Club

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Push-ups Club

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

I know there are a few of us starting to do push-ups. I saw a thread hi-jacked and thought it had some good information. There has been lots of good push-up information. I figured this would be a good place to post links and track progress.

I am still working on technique, but I am getting better. If I go all the way to the ground I am stuck, but I am keeping my back straight.

Here is a helpful website: http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.9mLyn4O6.JiYMhK14.dpbs

I know there are some other great links, but I can't find them. I hope someone will post them here.

I start my morning getting on my knees, saying a short prayer and then do some push-ups, then I hope the bathroom is available (wife & two daughters, but one bathroom). I then do a set of push-ups in the evening, not as good as my morning set. I also do a set before going to bed. I can do 15 in the morning now, 12 in the evening and before bedtime. They are by all means not perfect, but considering the first time I attempted push-ups in over 25 years was only a while back, I am doing good. I had trouble doing 5 that first attempt.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Re: Push-ups Club

Postby rickfm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Bookmarked! Let the testosterone flow... I'm in. :thumbsup:

Although, this might be better off in the Exercise and Fitness sub-forum.

I posted this in that other thread that mentioned push ups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmH2UfFBrN8
That's how I do mine. I spent nine years in the Navy and got to know a few SEALS. Amazing individuals. Not just for their bad-assery, but because they just seemed so well centered and balanced in a calm, quiet sort of way. Some of them were quite lean and slight of build... almost wiry and sinuous. Not the muscular commandos you might think of.

I'm up to 3 sets of 8 per day. Slow, methodical and with purpose - like the video. But, keep in mind... over the past seven years or so, I had become absurdly lethargic. It was a humiliating experience to realize, a few months ago when I started doing push ups, that I had to start out doing "girl" push ups... from my knees. I'm happy to say that I've since graduated from that. :D
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby sharonbikes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey, Norm - nothing wrong with doing "girl" pushups!! LOL I have been working out with a trainer who trained as a Navy Seal (he said he didn't finish because of an injury). So, I have been doing Navy pushups 3x a week - 30 at a time, 3x. I have been working on getting to do more on my toes, but am still working at it - I do 10 on my toes, then 20 from my knees - but, I gain a push-up a week or so, who knows where I will be by spring! I keep thinking I will spring out of bed in the morning and do a little Navy PT to start my day of work ...but, I am NOT a morning person and I have yet to spring out of bed...still kind of rolling out and trying to catch myself before I hit the floor.

So, can I be "in the club" without the need for flowing testerone??? :D

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby rickfm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:59 pm

sharonbikes wrote: So, can I be "in the club" without the need for flowing testerone???

LOL... sorry if I sounded exclusive. G.I. Janes welcome, of course! :wink:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby liam13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 pm

I just started this am, just 5 and the shoulder started talking back. I was thinking I'd just do them in the am, but just before bed works to, couldn't hurt. Liam
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/][img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-man2/lb/245/185/250/.png[/img][/url]
liam13

Postby Waingapu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Regarding push-up form, here is a good video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI

Several good tips. Observe his final down position near the end when he is doing several complete reps.

His is different than seen in the Seal video and is more in line with what is counted as a official push up for meeting military standards on most tests for entrance to that service. (btw, they give you 2 minutes, but you can't get out of the position even if you stop doing reps for 15 seconds. I guess that means you can rest in the up position if you find that useful)

Here are a couple Navy guys giving a demonstration about the requirements and positions for the Navy push-up tests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-q3D3ty6s

I think the first video is best for form and advice, and the second video is best for describing what they count as a official push-up.

Of course you can vary what you count. I do some sets to the floor and some to one yellow page phone book, about 1.5 inches, and some sets to the height of my fist (approx 3 inches), which is about where my arm hits the the 90 degree relationship to the vertical, meaning my upper arm is parallel to the ground at a minimum. (watch the video)

Now look at a Navy Seebee training group doing push ups to see a wide variety of trainees doing very questionable push ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyoYxrbNEQ

Loads of guys doing push ups that would not count in a official test.

BTW, if you google "push up video" and you hit video, it says there are over 2,640,000 results. I don't think we need to view them all, but it gives a indication that there is much room for the definition of a push up.
Waingapu

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 pm

rickfm wrote:Bookmarked! Let the testosterone flow... I'm in. :thumbsup:

Although, this might be better off in the Exercise and Fitness sub-forum.

I posted this in that other thread that mentioned push ups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmH2UfFBrN8
That's how I do mine. I spent nine years in the Navy and got to know a few SEALS. Amazing individuals. Not just for their bad-assery, but because they just seemed so well centered and balanced in a calm, quiet sort of way. Some of them were quite lean and slight of build... almost wiry and sinuous. Not the muscular commandos you might think of.

I'm up to 3 sets of 8 per day. Slow, methodical and with purpose - like the video. But, keep in mind... over the past seven years or so, I had become absurdly lethargic. It was a humiliating experience to realize, a few months ago when I started doing push ups, that I had to start out doing "girl" push ups... from my knees. I'm happy to say that I've since graduated from that. :D

Maybe a mod will move it. I figured it would get a better response in the lounge area.

Yep, that is the video. I could not find that thread. There was also a link about the different branches and how each branch is a little different. I have started putting my feet together and putting hands even with shoulders. I am also doing them slower after watching that video.

I am going to try to touch my chest to the floor before going up in the morning. My morning set is by far my best set.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby rickfm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 am

I do my sets throughout the day. Like during commercials while watching TV. It's an absurdly easy thing to do... drop to the floor and pump out a set. There's no excuse for putting it off, yet it seems like such an inconvenience at times.

It's one of the frustrating things about being human... why do I hesitate to do something so simple that I know is so good for me?

But really, the more I do it, the more uneasy I feel about not doing it.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby fulenn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am

I want to join, but I am pretty sure I can't even do one pushup....
This would be great inspiration to work on it, I'm off to go try just one. :D

Fulenn

edited: Well, that was, uhm, interesting. 90-degree angle? Nope. Try a 45-degree angle. I definitely need to be working on this. So my official record as of right now is 1/2 of a pushup.
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby rickfm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:34 am

fulenn wrote:So my official record as of right now is 1/2 of a pushup.

Well, that's better than no push up.

So, congratulations! You have made progress. :D

Now... do 1/2 push up 3 times in one day.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby biophiliac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 am

I love push ups! Great exercise! I used to get in the gym with all the equipment but for the past couple years I've been just doing push ups and pull ups and find you can get good results. Much more convenient too. I usually do mine while I work my sedentary job. Just taking little breaks here and there. I've been slacking a bit over the holidays so this is a timely reminder to get back into it. Thanks!
biophiliac

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 am

rickfm wrote:
fulenn wrote:So my official record as of right now is 1/2 of a pushup.

Well, that's better than no push up.

So, congratulations! You have made progress. :D

Now... do 1/2 push up 3 times in one day.

I am sure most of mine are not "full" push-ups. I agree a 1/2 is better than none.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby funcrunch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am

I need to do these. My attempt at push-ups for the Presidents Challenge Fitness Test last summer was embarrassing. Just lowering from plank position to the floor during my sun salutations (committed to doing at least one every day this year as part of my yoga practice) is painful.
funcrunch

Postby Golden Ghost » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:34 pm

I was doing three sets of twenty before my shoulder got hurt. I'm looking forward to starting up again. I have tried for ten years to work up to 100. I could do ten sets of ten but not even three sets of 33 let alone 100 at one time.
I read all the "get to 100 push up" sites you can name and it just did not happen. So hear is a story someone told me about a Farmer and his Son
Son "Dad, I want to get big and strong enough to carry around a cow"
Dad " That's easy, wait to one of the cows has a calf and carry that around every day. Then, as it grows you will get stronger every day and in two years by the time its full grown you will be able to carry it around"

Well as you can guess a full grown cow is just to much for most people to lift. It sounds good but it just wont work. So some people will tell you to just increase your push ups by 1 a day or week but it does not always work that way, there is a limit. So the moral of the story for me is after ten years I realized I will never get to 100 push ups. I have tried their method, taken twice as long, three times as long, cut it in half and nothing got me to 100.
Golden Ghost

Postby Waingapu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Golden Ghost wrote:I was doing three sets of twenty before my shoulder got hurt. I'm looking forward to starting up again. I have tried for ten years to work up to 100. I could do ten sets of ten but not even three sets of 33 let alone 100 at one time.

I suspect I may run into the same problem as I think about getting to 63 push-ups. (my age)

After about 8+ weeks, I now do about 67 total per day.
Begin with 15 to warm up. Then wait a while and do 25. Then follow up with about 15 to 18 and then finish with about 12.
I don't think I can do much more than about 30-33 at once right now. (depending on type ---distance to floor etc.)
63 seems a long ways away, unless I have some kind of break through. Oh well, even 40 would be great. I'll see how it goes as I ramp up to about 100 per day.
Perhaps about 40% to 50% of ones daily total number is the maximum of any single set.
Age must have lots to do with the limits.
Waingapu

Next

Return to The Lounge