Push-ups Club

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Push-ups Club

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Well, it's been awhile

Today I did 8 sets of 5

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby waingapu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 pm

~Beth~ wrote:Well, it's been awhile

Today I did 8 sets of 5

Good for you Beth; we all have spells where time slips away. I've been off for 4 days myself. I've done a run and bike ride during that time, but no push ups.
Push ups allow for days off. In fact some sites even suggest not doing them daily, but rather only a couple times a week.
A few even suggest once a week.

Here is what I have found. I like to be real fresh for my official push up work-out day, so I avoid doing some and then the days go on.
Before you know it, it could be 4 or 5 days off. That is still OK, but I think each of us could do some unplanned minutes during the off days.
Just pass that living room carpet area.... drop and do a set of 5 or more. Takes less than 30 seconds from beginning to end.
Perhaps you do it once or twice every other off day. Keeps you from getting into that long off cycle, but still leaves you fresh for your regular push up day when you do 8 sets.
All we need is a little trigger. Not much motivation is needed when we tell ourselves... "I'll just do five"... We don't burden ourselves with thinking about the entire workout, yet it keeps us fit during those off days if they stretch out.

I do the same with my stomach/back exercises and stretching. I just do about a minute or two before I shower. I won't ever develop a six-pack but it keeps my core muscles with "just enough" to fend off most sore back issues. If I don't do this, the back problems will develop.

I call these mini-exercise sessions "Micro-cise". They add up and bridge the extended days off.
waingapu

Postby waingapu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm

OK, the little reminder made me do my push ups today.

Warm up. 20 girls, plus 10+10+10 = 30 regular.
Followed by regular push ups 40 (in 60 seconds)..+ 25+20+5+20+20+20= total 180 regular.

With breaks, total time about 40 minutes. I think for most, spreading them out during the day, not needing to use rest time, might be more productive and less time consuming. For me, perhaps 5 sets of 20 would only require about 30 seconds for each set. That would only take less than 3 to 4 minutes, certainly no more than 5 minutes out of the day.
Thus saving about 35 minutes from my above schedule, yet maintaining more than adequate fitness for push ups.
Something to consider so as to not allow push ups to become burdensome or avoided.

Anyway, we're not alone in doing push ups. Watch Justin Bieber knock out a few sets while in jail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnCKfHJxTLc
waingapu

Postby JuicerJohn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:22 pm

I finished week 4 of the 100 PU challenge on Thursday doing sets of 29, 33, 29, 29, and 43 for the last set.

Then today was another exhaustion test, I was able to do 53 total.

Remember, these are still knee push ups, I have not yet attempted to do good form push ups after one attempt a couple of weeks ago. And, I'm not sure I want to try doing good form push ups, at least not for awhile. I had a bad fall about 2 years ago in which I injured my right shoulder and dislocated my left elbow. Then, about a year ago I tripped over a puppy and dislocated the same elbow a second time.

Now, even today, my elbow can feel slightly unstable when I put weight on it. So, I think for now I will move to week 5 day 1 of the challenge and stay there for awhile and just increase the number of push ups in the final set.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby ~Beth~ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Waingapu love the videos, you sure find unusual stuff

Good job juicer John!

I stopped at 8 sets because my elbow started making cracking noises. Last time that went away as I got more regular at it

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby waingapu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Just checking in. Trying to not fall off the wagon.

Tuesday did 70 regular push ups (35 + 35)
Thursday did 50 regular (20+30)
Today, Friday, did a somewhat regular work-out. No warm up. Sets of 32, 33, 35, 20, 20, 20, 20--- Total 180

I have not done a pull up in years. I wonder if I could do even one or two.

Here is a older guy, age 83, who does quite a few pull ups... (though he places his hands so as to utilize mostly his biceps) As I understand it, the "official" pull ups are with your palms facing away from you.
Never the less, for age 83 he does quite well. I'll bet he could do some push ups as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-5FLHua8co

Bonus video. (may have been shown before)
Agile 92 year old grandmother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqKQQBsDRA
waingapu

Postby waingapu » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Don't let up. Even if you miss many days, start right back up with a few. Even a dozen to get back into the spirit.

Recently I've not been doing my full regular days, but I still am putting in some quicker, yet substantial sets to keep from falling well off the pace. In just a very few minutes you can keep most of your advances in fitness.
You just can't completely stop for weeks and weeks, which then turn into months, even years.

Push ups have to be one of the easiest exercises to keep doing in a moderate way. A few sets, lasting less than 1 minute each, yet keeping the muscles active and fairly strong.

OK, I last reported on the 21st.

Since then

March 24, 60
March 26, 100
March 30, 110
April 2, 70
April 3, 100
April 7, 35
April 8, 100 (40+20+20+20+20) No warm-up, but first 40 slower as a result of not warming up.

So, you see, none of those was up to my prior regular workout of 180, but I didn't just stop dead in the water.
I kept the muscles "brain" knowing that it was still expected to produce some output by keeping it alert.
Even one or two sets, in one or two minutes, can keep your muscles from retrenching too far or fast.

Come on, anyone can do a minute or two of push ups, even a monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zOxQSI0pQk
waingapu

Postby waingapu » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Not to be deterred... I did the following

April 11th, 80 push ups

April 14th 150 push ups ( 20 + 40 + 25 + 25 + 15 + 15 + 10 )

Now for some motivating videos

40 push ups in a dress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IepStaUVB_Q

Little girl does 30 push ups after swimming all day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ehI81DDVQ

Now, don't you think you should be able to do 10 or 20 ?
waingapu

Postby Gershon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 am

I came over here from the other thread about 10 pushups being a good indicator of healthy aging. You have all made wonderful progress since the beginning of this thread. I decided to accept that statement as true for me and begin the push-up challenge. I'm 60 years old, in good health, and a "normal" weight of 176 lbs down from a high of 203 lbs with a current BMI of 23.9. I'm targeting 162 lbs which was my weight when I graduated from the Air Force Academy.

As I got to thinking about it, I realized there is never a reason to be unable to meet the minimum standards for a military physical fitness test. The requirements back then were 7 pull-ups, a 7 foot standing broad jump, 30 pushups in a continuous motion, 50 sit ups in 20 minutes and completing the 600 yard run in 2 minutes. The person testing had to do an extra rep in one category to pass the test. These are minimal standards which I believe a person can maintain well into old age. The longer they can maintain them, the longer they can delay the onset of physical debilitation. So, my goal is to be able to pass the test again with the exception of the 600 yard run. Since I like to walk, I'm substituting walking 5 miles at 3.5 mph.

Right now, I believe a person could do one set of each activity a day and gradually work up to the minimum standard. Since I can only do 10 pushups at a time now, I'll do three sets during the day to get my 30 with the first set being as many as I can comfortably do. I'll do the same with situps. I don't have a pull up bar, but I plan to get one. I suppose I could jog a little each day and work up to the 600 yard run, but that's a fast pace for a person my age.

Why choose to meet the military standards? I figure the military spent many years developing them, and they must have a good reason. Since none of the standards seem dangerous in any way, with the possible exception of the run for some, I don't see any good reason why not to choose them, even if it may only be for fun and not the only way to demonstrate strength and some endurance. It can be a platform from which I can jump to higher heights.
Gershon

Postby waingapu » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Gershon wrote:I came over here from the other thread about 10 pushups being a good indicator of healthy aging. You have all made wonderful progress since the beginning of this thread. I decided to accept that statement as true for me and begin the push-up challenge. I'm 60 years old, in good health, and a "normal" weight of 176 lbs down from a high of 203 lbs with a current BMI of 23.9. I'm targeting 162 lbs which was my weight when I graduated from the Air Force Academy.

As I got to thinking about it, I realized there is never a reason to be unable to meet the minimum standards for a military physical fitness test. The requirements back then were 7 pull-ups, a 7 foot standing broad jump, 30 pushups in a continuous motion, 50 sit ups in 20 minutes and completing the 600 yard run in 2 minutes. The person testing had to do an extra rep in one category to pass the test. These are minimal standards which I believe a person can maintain well into old age. The longer they can maintain them, the longer they can delay the onset of physical debilitation. So, my goal is to be able to pass the test again with the exception of the 600 yard run. Since I like to walk, I'm substituting walking 5 miles at 3.5 mph.

Right now, I believe a person could do one set of each activity a day and gradually work up to the minimum standard. Since I can only do 10 pushups at a time now, I'll do three sets during the day to get my 30 with the first set being as many as I can comfortably do. I'll do the same with situps. I don't have a pull up bar, but I plan to get one. I suppose I could jog a little each day and work up to the 600 yard run, but that's a fast pace for a person my age.

Why choose to meet the military standards? I figure the military spent many years developing them, and they must have a good reason. Since none of the standards seem dangerous in any way, with the possible exception of the run for some, I don't see any good reason why not to choose them, even if it may only be for fun and not the only way to demonstrate strength and some endurance. It can be a platform from which I can jump to higher heights.

Good to hear you are going to be getting into shape.
As a individual who is 64, I would caution you to be very very gradual. Think in terms of 12 to 24 months to arrive at some of your goals. Sure you could go faster, but slow and steady is better.
That may vary with each of the exercises you mention.

I would also be very careful with a few of those you mention. 7 ft standing broad jump at age 60. I have not even thought about that, but any "jumping" should be done with extra caution. I have no idea what I could now do. 7 pull ups seems reasonable, but since I've had no place to do any, I am absolutely certain I could not do that number now. Probably only 1 or 2.
I just have no place to practice that motion.
Don't forget, initially doing negative pull ups might be best. (where you only lower yourself slowly but don't pull yourself up.)

I took about 18 to 24 months to build up my push ups.

I'm a bit off my peak now, but still do them about twice a week
Last two times
Thursday 17th 100 (sets of 20, 35, 30, and 15)
Sunday, 20th 100 (warm up girl type, 20 .... then sets, 3, 40, 20, 27, 10 )

I was doing about 180 twice a week, but have lowered it a bit for the past 3 weeks. Doing 100 keeps the muscles strong, but takes very little time as I rest only a bit between sets. From time to time I may go back to 150 or more.

Keep checking in... with your progress. Watch those tendons and muscles for any early signs of injury or strain. Pay attention and allow extra rest days if anything appears. During my past two years, I have taken off a week or more several times to allow injuries to not progress to something serious.
A week off will not affect your progress.

Oh, here is a site where they list well researched standards of the Cooper Institute. Run by the famous Kenneth Cooper who wrote Aerobics decades ago. He now concentrates equally on muscles.
So various institutions and departments use his standards,.
You can see where you stand compared to the general population in percentile terms.
Note, the particular numbers for push ups only involves a 1 minute test. I do that sometimes, but also take over 1 minute during many of my sets.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/post/pdf/PT.pdf

Unfortunately, for the 60+ category, you'll note they didn't have a large data base, but still its in the range that they'd probably get with more guys.
waingapu

Postby Gershon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 pm

waingapu,

Thanks for the welcome and great advice.

I tried the standing broad jump and did six feet. Don't forget to take the cell phone out of the shirt pocket and take off the glasses. Don't ask me how I know that. It shouldn't take too much time to get the coordination to get to seven feet. Maybe next time, I won't wear the combat boots.

For the exercises, I'll be using what people now call periodic training. It's something I developed in 2008, and it seems others developed it independently. Instead of doing the same number of reps each day, I only do the max reps two times a month, and then over the next 28 days, I decrease to half that number and back up to the full number. The max reps are about 80% of what I could do if I worked to exhaustion. Each cycle, that goes up a little bit. Always take one day off a week, using the same day every week. I've used this in the past and it works better than anything I tried. All the exercises are on the same periodic cycle. Ideally, the max reps should be on the full moon based on research I've done.

I bought Ken Cooper's book in about 1980. I've been a fan of his right along. I have his new book, and it wasn't any better than the original.

Thanks for the tables for Law Enforcement. It gives me targets to aim for. I did 24 sit ups. That surprised me.
Gershon

Previous

Return to The Lounge