Time Magazine - the anti-food snob diet by Dr Oz

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Time Magazine - the anti-food snob diet by Dr Oz

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 pm

The cover story this week on Time - someone more skilled at writing than I am should rebutt this article & email a letter to Time :

[email protected]
WHAT TO EAT NOW
The Anti-Food-Snob Diet
By Dr. Mehmet Oz

In this week's cover story, Dr. Oz writes, "The rise of foodie culture over the past decade has venerated all things small-batch, local-farm and organic—all with premium price tags. But let’s be clear: you don’t need to eat like the 1% to eat healthily. After several years of research and experience, I have come to an encouraging conclusion: the American food supply is abundant, nutritionally sound, affordable and, with a few simple considerations, comparable to the most elite organic diets. Save the cash; the 99% diet can be good for you."

Oz compares a number of supermarket and gourmet products and reports that many less expensive options are just as healthy, including peanut butter, honey, mustard, tuna, dark chocolate, olive oil and even in many cases meat.

He writes, "The fact is, a lot of the stuff we ate in childhood can be good for you and good to eat—if you know how to shop."
http://ti.me/QupQuA

See the cover here: http://ti.me/HKI7
shell-belle

Re: Time Magazine - the anti-food snob diet by Dr Oz

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm

shell-belle wrote:The cover story this week on Time - someone more skilled at writing than I am should rebutt this article & email a letter to Time :

[email protected]
WHAT TO EAT NOW
The Anti-Food-Snob Diet
By Dr. Mehmet Oz

In this week's cover story, Dr. Oz writes, "The rise of foodie culture over the past decade has venerated all things small-batch, local-farm and organic—all with premium price tags. But let’s be clear: you don’t need to eat like the 1% to eat healthily. After several years of research and experience, I have come to an encouraging conclusion: the American food supply is abundant, nutritionally sound, affordable and, with a few simple considerations, comparable to the most elite organic diets. Save the cash; the 99% diet can be good for you."

Oz compares a number of supermarket and gourmet products and reports that many less expensive options are just as healthy, including peanut butter, honey, mustard, tuna, dark chocolate, olive oil and even in many cases meat.

He writes, "The fact is, a lot of the stuff we ate in childhood can be good for you and good to eat—if you know how to shop."
http://ti.me/QupQuA

See the cover here: http://ti.me/HKI7

I'd like to read the article, but I'm not going to register with Time to do it. Which part bothers you? Certainly one needn't spend more for and eat only small-batch, local and organic foods in order to eat healthily.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Agnes, I don't disagree with the whole article but on pg 41 he lists "foods that pay off" and these are:
peanut butter, mustard honey, eggs, milk, olive oil, tuna & dark chocolate. The only 2 I think are ok of that group are mustard & perhaps honey.
shell-belle

Postby rijman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:48 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Certainly one needn't spend more for and eat only small-batch, local and organic foods in order to eat healthily.

When it comes to the dirty dozen I especially pay extra for organics, but it doesn't have to be too costly. Celery is one of the worst produce for retaining pesticides yet organic celery in San Diego is still pretty cheap, for example. There are grocery stores here where you can pay a lot more for organics than other stores, but that's true of just about every product.
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Postby darad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am

Come on, Shelle-Belle, I know you know much better. Say what you really think regarding the Oz article. Don't hold back! Here's my take ...

What's with wizard? He says the obvious regarding organic vs non-organic for nutrition, and chemicals added to each. What is astounding is that he is telling the public that the SAD diet is just fine, in moderation. Everything is on the table, ice cream (protein and calcium), peanut butter (workaday food, 80% of its fats are unsaturated, that's as good as olive oil), honey, tuna fish (beware of hot cesium particles these days!), olive oil (high but good calories, eggs (protein, B vitamins), milk (what else, vitamin D and calcium), guacamole, chicken tacos, etc.

After saying all that, he says: "I live in a vegetarian household, so I simply don't have the opportunity to eat a lot of meat at family meals. But I am not opposed to meats that are served in an appropriate portion size and are well prepared." "Any lean meats are generally fine as long as the serving size is correct -- and that means 4 to 6 oz." He says "chicken is so lean and tasty it can actually redeem a lot of foods that are otherwise dietary bad news." -- yet is still high is saturated fats and cholesterol!

As anyone knows, keeping one's portions in check is not a sure bet, and will simply lead to a moderated SAD. It does not work. Oz should go on a food binge, consuming everything he recommends in "moderation" for two months -- then check his vitals again.

Its becoming painfully clear that the only way that US medical costs will be reduced is a major altering of people's diets, not by mandate, but by grassroots movements upon the realization that our corporate entities have been enriching themselves on the backs of consumer's health. Obamacare, Ron Paul's proposals, intra-state insurance competition, hospitals and doctors competing for business, will not work. Even Dr McDougall spoke this so eloquently in his recent speech at TEDx Fremont on Nov 10 2012 in Palo Alto CA.
darad

Postby SweetPea » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:16 am

shell-belle wrote:I don't disagree with the whole article but on pg 41 he lists "foods that pay off" and these are:
peanut butter, mustard honey, eggs, milk, olive oil, tuna & dark chocolate. The only 2 I think are ok of that group are mustard & perhaps honey.
Shell-belle, I know what you mean. On first thought, I don’t consider very small amounts of those foods eaten very occasionally to be a huge problem. But, of course, our society doesn't eat them either rarely or in small amounts. (In large part because many of those foods are heavily promoted as "superfoods.") So, in essence, Dr. Oz has missed an opportunity in this case to focus on the bigger picture of how our diets have gone off the rails (via very frequent and high consumption of fats, particularly animal foods) and how they might be brought back into balance (through high-starch, low-fat, plant-based diets). Luckily for us, Dr. McDougall is crystal clear on this point. :-D

“This is crucial you understand….You are a starch eater. You are a starchivore. You always have been, you always will be. Until you figure this out, you’re not going to be in control. You’re not going to be trim, and fit, and hearty like you should be. You’re not going to be satisfied by your diet. You’re not going to avoid common human diseases if you think that you’re a carnivore."
Dr. McDougall at Vegetarian Society of Hawaii on November 13, 2012
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Postby patty » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am

He is so transparent.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby shell-belle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:17 pm

darad wrote:Come on, Shelle-Belle, I know you know much better. Say what you really think regarding the Oz article. Don't hold back! Here's my take ...

What's with wizard? He says the obvious regarding organic vs non-organic for nutrition, and chemicals added to each. What is astounding is that he is telling the public that the SAD diet is just fine, in moderation. Everything is on the table, ice cream (protein and calcium), peanut butter (workaday food, 80% of its fats are unsaturated, that's as good as olive oil), honey, tuna fish (beware of hot cesium particles these days!), olive oil (high but good calories, eggs (protein, B vitamins), milk (what else, vitamin D and calcium), guacamole, chicken tacos, etc.

After saying all that, he says: "I live in a vegetarian household, so I simply don't have the opportunity to eat a lot of meat at family meals. But I am not opposed to meats that are served in an appropriate portion size and are well prepared." "Any lean meats are generally fine as long as the serving size is correct -- and that means 4 to 6 oz." He says "chicken is so lean and tasty it can actually redeem a lot of foods that are otherwise dietary bad news." -- yet is still high is saturated fats and cholesterol!

As anyone knows, keeping one's portions in check is not a sure bet, and will simply lead to a moderated SAD. It does not work. Oz should go on a food binge, consuming everything he recommends in "moderation" for two months -- then check his vitals again.

Its becoming painfully clear that the only way that US medical costs will be reduced is a major altering of people's diets, not by mandate, but by grassroots movements upon the realization that our corporate entities have been enriching themselves on the backs of consumer's health. Obamacare, Ron Paul's proposals, intra-state insurance competition, hospitals and doctors competing for business, will not work. Even Dr McDougall spoke this so eloquently in his recent speech at TEDx Fremont on Nov 10 2012 in Palo Alto CA.

Darad - excellent - you said all the things i am thinking and very concisely-!
shell-belle

Postby shell-belle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 pm

SweetPea wrote:
shell-belle wrote:I don't disagree with the whole article but on pg 41 he lists "foods that pay off" and these are:
Shell-belle, I know what you mean. On first thought, I don’t consider very small amounts of those foods eaten very occasionally to be a huge problem. But, of course, our society doesn't eat them either rarely or in small amounts. (In large part because many of those foods are heavily promoted as "superfoods.") So, in essence, Dr. Oz has missed an opportunity in this case to focus on the bigger picture of how our diets have gone off the rails (via very frequent and high consumption of fats, particularly animal foods) and how they might be brought back into balance (through high-starch, low-fat, plant-based diets). Luckily for us, Dr. McDougall is crystal clear on this point. :-D

“This is crucial you understand….You are a starch eater. You are a starchivore. You always have been, you always will be. Until you figure this out, you’re not going to be in control. You’re not going to be trim, and fit, and hearty like you should be. You’re not going to be satisfied by your diet. You’re not going to avoid common human diseases if you think that you’re a carnivore."
Dr. McDougall at Vegetarian Society of Hawaii on November 13, 2012

yes sweetpea-thanks you are right our society does not eat those things in moderation & oz promotes those as superfoods..so most people will think it's ok to gorge. totally accurate--oz missed a chance to be helpful.

love that quote from dr mc dougall's hawaii presentation. i watched the video of it but that slipped my mind. thanks for the reminder.
shell-belle

Postby darad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Time magazine missed an opportunity, great cover -- but the information contained between the covers totally missed the mark. The only aspect that will continue to get thinner is the magazine! The cover should have looked more like this ... :lol: Image
darad

Postby shell-belle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:51 pm

darad wrote:Time magazine missed an opportunity, great cover -- but the information contained between the covers totally missed the mark. The only aspect that will continue to get thinner is the magazine! The cover should have looked more like this ... :lol: Image

YES EXACTLY - FABULOUS DARAD!
THANKS!
shell-belle

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:46 pm

darad wrote: Oz should go on a food binge, consuming everything he recommends in "moderation" for two months -- then check his vitals again.

Awesome. Yes, please someone make him do this! Anyone who sanctions the SAD is doing such harm to the public.
Lesliec1

Return to The Lounge