Still nuts

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Still nuts

Postby patty » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Mahalo Dr. Cambpell and Mark Simon.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Mark Simon wrote:Dr. Fuhrman is making up the fact that substituting nuts for potatoes produces weight loss, unless he means French fries.

I'm on both sides so just to be clear this is not at all what Dr Fuhrman recommends. He calls for substituting legumes for potatoes as primary energy/carb source.

Nuts and seeds are to be used only in very small amounts only (comparable to what Dr McDougall allows), generally 1 ounce/day, with the exception of healthy goal weight individuals that are so physically active they need the extra calories.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby EllenR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
Mark Simon wrote:Dr. Fuhrman is making up the fact that substituting nuts for potatoes produces weight loss, unless he means French fries.

I'm on both sides so just to be clear this is not at all what Dr Fuhrman recommends. He calls for substituting legumes for potatoes as primary energy/carb source.

That is what he said.

He has said in many times.

See the original post in this thread.

"Nuts induce weight loss, especially when substituted for high carb calories like white potato. It is fascinating that they increase the absorption of micronutrients and phytonutrients from other foods while at the same time decreasing the absorption of macronutrients from other foods.

The reason the first study did not show as much continued weight benefits is the nature of the unhealthy diet they gave them overall, and the snacking of the nuts and lack of compliance as the study went on."

GeoffreyLevens wrote: Nuts and seeds are to be used only in very small amounts only (comparable to what Dr McDougall allows), generally 1 ounce/day, with the exception of healthy goal weight individuals that are so physically active they need the extra calories.

That is not what he says.

He is recommending up to 4 oz.

And to replace carbs like potatoes.

And for fat to be up to 30%. Sometimes he has said 40%

http://healthscience.org/index.php?opti ... th-science

One could be on a healthful diet that is 15 percent of calories from fat or a healthful diet that is 30 percent of calories from fat too.

Eat only an ounce a day if you are significantly overweight, but if thin, physically active, pregnant or nursing eat two to four ounces according to your caloric needs.

that for every calorie removed from the diet from rice, potato, bread or animal products and substituted with raw seeds and nuts you get many health benefits

But, he contradicts himself many times.

And his numbers do not add up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22049&p=299844

Ellen
EllenR

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am

Context counts for a lot. I was referring to Dr Fuhrman's general dietary recommendations.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:55 am

Dr Campbell,

Can I just say what an honour it is to be on the same forum as you.

And this is the most interesting thread I've ever read.

Best wishes

Theodore
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby CHEF AJ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 pm

I couldn't agree more!!! Dr. Campbell, it's an honor to be on the same planet as you!!!

Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby EllenR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Context counts for a lot. I was referring to Dr Fuhrman's general dietary recommendations.

His new nutritarian plate describes his recommendations.

It says up to 40% of calories from nuts and seeds.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/foodpyramid.aspx

For 2000 calories, that is 800 calories.

That is about 4 1/2 ounces.

I am small so I eat about 1500 calories.

That is 600 calories from nuts/seeds.

That is about 3 1/2 ounces.

It is in context.

Ellen
EllenR

Postby veggylvr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Who would even care about his dietary advice given the extreme lack of character he has shown? I had no idea about this and thank Dr. Campbell for posting.
veggylvr

Postby EllenR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 pm

veggylvr wrote:Who would even care about his dietary advice given the extreme lack of character he has shown? I had no idea about this and thank Dr. Campbell for posting.

That is how I feel.

The rest is secondary.

One ounce or 4 ounces no longer matters.

He has no integrity or character.

He reminds me of Mercola.

Ellen
EllenR

Postby Adam1984 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Ok from Dr.Fuhrman's Newsletter #30 March 2007 he clearly states that by replacing starch with nuts will yield better health benefits.

I'm really tired of him. His claims that starch based diets are good for 60 years, but his is good for over 90 years of living. Give me a break. Look at what the people of Okinawa used to it. 65%+ of their calories were from sweet potatoes.

I'm so glad we have Jeff here to clarrify everything because Dr.Fuhrman seems very convincing to someone ignorant like me. "Rice diets" "grain based diets" are not nutrient dense enough he claims. I bought it for over 8 months.
people say they have to be motivated before
They do something. I say do it and the motivation
Will come.
-Dr.Oz
Adam1984

Postby Adrienne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:25 pm

One ounce of nuts, 4 ounces, or how about the up to 6 ounces (plus an avocado) he suggests here for athletes?

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/we ... eight.html

But yes I agree, who cares anymore? It no longer matters.
Adrienne

Postby Melinda » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Many thanks to you Dr. Campbell - you have been one of my heroes ever since I read "The China Study".
Melinda

Postby lazygit » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am

This thread has been most informative. Thank you, Dr Campbell!
lazygit

Postby mike at the river » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Some great discussions. Dr McDougall, Dr Campbell, and Dr Esselstyn certainly seem to the superstars in the field. To be balanced, Dr Greger in his www.nutritonfacts.org mission is to review and present a summary of scientific research as reported in the journals. Naturally, it is a snapshot in time of one particular, often narrow, issue. The job for all of us is to put things in perspective, over time.
Just saw Dr Furman last night on PBS. Didn't hear him criticize whole grains, but does emphasis veggies green leafy, onions, mushrooms, some nuts and seeds. Again, what's needed is putting things into perspective. It is unfortunate that Dr McDougall said that veggies were mainly important for taste, aroma, and color, otherwise loved his book. He does have many recipes with veggies in them. What are his current views on anti-oxidants and how much and what veggies we should be eating? thanks...Mike
mike at the river

Postby veggylvr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 pm

That comment about veggies was in the context of SATIETY. Nobody is going feel full on veggies alone, which is why starch is so important. Furhman also knows this - he's just chosen to push nuts and criticize starches to try to be different and sell books. His motivations and lack of integrity in achieving them are now transparent.

Of course, vegetables have antioxident value, but how long do you want to live? If you eat a variety of veggies and starches, you'll receive what you need. It's funny that Furhman has apparently convinced people that they are lacking antioxidents, nutrients, and must take supplements (which he sells!), while Dr. McDougall realized years ago that his patients who consumed mainly a grain and starch-based diet, along with vegetables, lived into their 90s, without heart disease or other ailments plaguing western cultures.

They weren't taking supplements or concerning themselves wth the antioxident value of their foods. They simply ate a whole food, mainly plant-based, starch-centered diet. That has been McDougall's recommendation since the 70s, and he doesn't need to make up or distort studies to support this WOE.
veggylvr

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge