how long to feel better?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: how long to feel better?

Postby elaineremains » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:46 pm

sigh, just got up from a huge crash on the couch, i just don't think i should be feeling WORSE than when i did before the diet, not that i will admit that to my husband, but i am feeling worse
elaineremains

Postby stoumi » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 pm

It's quite possible you could feel worse. My wife when she sort of got onto the program with me got frustrated quickly. Why? First she wasn't losing weight, second, she couldn't poop. Third she put on a few pounds. I told her to continue on the program with me and you would see results. I didn't give her much to back up my claim except for what I was taught in the 12 Day Program. She really didn't ask for proof, but in the coming weeks she started to feel better and lose a bit of weight. Why she still isn't completely sold on this way of eating, she does follow it about 75% of the time. Since changing her eating habits she has lost about 17 pounds and now weighs less than when she had our only child. She is down from a size 6 to a size 2.
stoumi

Postby elaineremains » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Steve, well I'm following it much more than 75%, and it seems like it's food additives that are getting me, but who can say?

and i lost a couple lbs out of the gate, but seem to be gaining it back now... i really don't know why, because i FEEL that this is the right woe

but i don't FEEL good in my body lol

i wrote to Dr. McDougall, but I'm not sure that he will answer

i'm wondering if I'm having a candida problem...

strange.
elaineremains

Postby SweetPea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 am

I just finished 12 days of "strict" MWL (my version includes no added salt), and lost about 3.5 pounds. For no reason I can see, today I gained back 2. :D But I also have very oily skin today and a couple of pimples (both unusual for me)--I think I'm clearing out!

Seems like my body has its own plans and timing, so as long as I stay honest with myself about my eating, I'm feeling less worried about how quickly I lose. Switching up my ratios of veggies-fruits-starches is easier than climbing back to where I was after going off-plan (and gaining 5 pounds). :-D I would so love to just get there already, but I have some things to learn on the way!

I do feel a bit more energetic these past 12 days and I've also noticed improved digestion and my skin clearing (overall). Also, I feel calmer and more mentally clear. The consistency also is helping me start to change the way I feel about "plain" whole foods.

For what it's worth, I used to have CFS as well (in my early 20s) and most often, exercising had a really deleterious effect on my health. That was one of the most frustrating things about it. I know, I've been there. I'm glad you're out of the woods, too!
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:49 am

yeah exercising was soooo bad for me back then, and now still but not as bad, i can make it around the block without a dreadful sick crash....

today i spent all day sleeping, as well as all last night sleeping, and it kind of got me scared and depressed that i was getting sick that way again...

i don't really understand why i'm feeling worse, perhaps i am cleaning out of something, and healing...

but i wrote dr mcdougall about it and he said that most people feel great within FOUR DAYS... so i'm not so sure, this diet does feel like the right way to eat though, i guess i'm just going to have to be stricter with it

i'm glad you are feeling better btw :)
elaineremains

Postby shell1226 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:35 am

Everyone is different. Most people is not you. Perhaps most people do feel better after 4 days, perhaps you won't.

Follow the program as closely as possible and I promise that you will feel better and better. Sometimes we feel worse before we feel better. How was your diet prior to McDougalling? Were you eating a SAD diet? If so, you may feel worse as your body detoxes.

Keep with it and keep us posted on your progress. This truly is the BEST way to live!
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 am

hello! thank you for your encouraging post :)

my diet was pretty SAD like for sure, for years i tried to eat properly and diet and lose weight, eventually i gave up and decided to eat whatever i wanted, so yeah, that's SAD

did that for about 5 years, then killed my stomach, and even with a bit of stomach left, still not able to lose weight really

i'm eating the mcdougall way, and i'm not eating that much, because i CAN'T haha, still not losing weight tho

i'm taking stuff like olive leaf extract to kill the remainder of the epstein barr virus and candida and such, so that could be part of my die off reaction

taking B12 also, and a capsule of evening primrose oil every couple days for my skin probs

also take a herbal pill called sera gold for back/body pain so i don't have to take pain killers

my copy of the 12 day program has shipped from amazon, so looking forward to that!

but yes, i'll keep you posted :)

elainexoxoxoxoxox
elaineremains

Postby djunamod » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 am

Haven't read all the responses yet, so I don't know if someone already suggested this, but in addition to making your own refried beans and hummus (both fairly easy to do) and buying fat-free salsa (which you might have been doing already), you can make "corn chips" by taking corn tortillas (which are usually fat free and allowed on the plan, as far as I recall) and cut them into wedges and then bake them in the oven or microwave until they are crisp. I think if you do a search here, you'll find some recipes for doing that even. I did that a lot when I was living in the States (and corn tortillas were readily available) and found I liked them even better than the greasy corn chips you get in the stores.

My take is that there is a McDougall solution to every food issue that you might have and it's just a matter of being creative and finding it.

Also, I don't know if you've done this elsewhere, but you might post a sample of a daily menu here. I know that many people could help if they could see what it is you're eating. You might just be eating too little, which might account for your fatigue also and why you're not feeling better. I know that when people switch to a vegan diet from a non-vegan diet, they often times have to eat more than they did until their bodies adjust and this helps fight fatigue.

Just hang in there!

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:33 am

that is a most excellent idea! tho i'm not sure we have corn tortillas in abundance up here in canada lol

i was looking in the packaged foods that dr mcdougall sells and i would have bought some corn chips or crackers for hummus, but he doesn't sell any :(

today, after i got up from my crash, i just ate stuff that wasn't processed and i feel ok at the moment, hope it lasts!

still yawning tho

exoxoxox
elaineremains

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:02 am

oh. my. dog. you know why i was eating cornchips?

it was a craving!! i had no idea it was a craving because i didn't see any reason to resist it

but today i was very strict with the diet, and man oh man do i have cravings, i went in the kitchen and bread and triscuits and cornchips etc all flew through my brain!! but i had to 'settle' for the soup that's good for me that had no processed foods in it.. man it was almost depressing!!

no wait, it WAS depressing lol

how long will THIS last? :roll:
elaineremains

Postby SweetPea » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:58 am

I love shell's advice. :)

I have had similar feelings (of symptoms reappearing) every time I start a healthy way of eating with gusto. They have always eventually passed in my experience. Personally, I usually start feeling stronger about 2-3 weeks in. The amazing part is how quickly I can get used to my "new normal" of feeling better (and how quickly I forget how crummy I used to feel). :-D
SweetPea

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 am

it's funny tho, i've never HAD a healthy way of eating make me feel better before...

except when i was a teenager, before i got real sick, i used to go on 3 week juice fasts and that was amazing... but then the juice fasts stopped working when i got CFS

even when i would try and go vegan, i would get super sick with candida

come to think of it, i don't even know WHY i have hopes for this woe, but i do :)
elaineremains

Postby SweetPea » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:43 am

I have hopes, too! :-D

The only other truly healthy (for me) way of eating I've tried is low-fat, all fruits & veggies. I kept trying to stay consistent with it over & over & ... :D I had wonderful results, except I had huge difficulty keeping the fat low. For me, for now, almost two weeks into McDougall (MWL) eating simple meals (no fat, no added salt), I'm noticing a lot of similar beneficial results. Yay! But the first few days: yeesh ~ headaches and very sleepy. Still a little groggy-sleepy but feeling more energetic, too.

I have a feeling I'll be tweaking forever, and that's ok. I tend to eat foods I love for a long time and then switch. Right now it's potatoes and blueberries and broccoli. Next month it may be brown rice, raspberries,and romaine. :D It's all good!

I'm rooting (no pun intended) for all of us!!
SweetPea

Postby Moonfruit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:54 am

Hi Elaine,

I am on Day 7 of this diet, and I can empathise with you. I have felt RUBBISH for all six days prior to today, and I gained 8 pounds in weight. Yesterday I was grumpy, irritated and upset.

Today, I am like a different person. I feel AMAZING.

I have not cheated at all - I have not eaten ANY fats other than the fats that are inside the starchy foods, fruits and vegetables. (Oh, I did have a small bite of raw chocolate this morning, but only to taste it - then threw it away... it was literally the equivalent of half a chunk of regular chocolate - that was my first and final sin!).

This will work if you cut out the fat - I think it's the fat that could be making you feel so bad - it looks that way for me. I haven't felt so good in years, and the only changes I have made are eliminating the fats and increasing the starches.

I hope you come to the end of your transition tunnel soon. It is wonderful at the other side!

Best wishes!
Moonfruit

Postby elaineremains » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 am

i'm having trouble with processed foods more than fat!!! when i was on my 20 hour sleep marathon yesterday, it was a sick, non restful sleep, and my hubby woke me up and asked me what did this, and i said all it could be was my double dose of canned refried beans, and he said 'oh' and i said 'i just want to know why 'they' are trying to kill us' (yes i was quite serious in my sleep state) and he said 'population control mostly, and money from the sick ones before they die'... i said 'do you mind?? i'm trying to sleep withOUT nightmares' lol

you know what tho... i had those nasty cravings for processed food tonight, and i ate my good soup, THREE TIMES until i felt no more cravings, now what other woe could do THAT???

this is a special diet and i'm rooting for us too :)
elaineremains

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge