A gastric bypass victim

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A gastric bypass victim

Postby pinkrose » Wed May 16, 2012 12:28 am

Sorry Hilary did not join us here. :crybaby:

Here is the link to the sad story:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120 ... |FRONTPAGE
pinkrose

Re: A gastric bypass victim

Postby Tiger » Wed May 16, 2012 3:19 am

What an awful way to die (not that there are many great ways) and very sad that she could not have found her way here and seen that other people over 300 lbs are losing weight safely and surely.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed May 16, 2012 3:44 am

Although the article frames her story as a rare complication of bypass surgery, the fact remains that all persons who have had bypass surgery cannot absorb the nutrients in food properly and must take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of their lives. If they don't they will have all sorts of problems such as iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis and possibly death.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Norm » Wed May 16, 2012 8:06 am

The Article wrote:Yet doctors really don’t have any other effective options for treating morbid obesity, generally defined as being 100 or more pounds overweight. Lifestyle changes, such as diet and exercise, are rarely successful for these patients without surgical intervention.
This infuriates me... For years I've had gastric bypass shoved down my throat with this very line of reasoning. I've always refused because somewhere deep inside I knew there had to be another way, there just had to.
Morbid Obesity is a dark, gloomy forest which engulfs those in it with fear and depression. From inside that forest there seems to be only one way out, for all paths appear to lead down into the valley of death, which you are certain is the destiny that awaits you. Our way of life is like a magic road map that leads straight out of that forest and back to life, health, and happiness. One needs only to pick up the map and follow it. It's as simple as that.

Thank you Dr. McDougall, for providing the road map that restored my life to me. I will strive to be a voice that steers others down that same path to life and health. It's too late for Hilary Lane, but it's not too late for countless others.

-Norm
Norm

Postby shell1226 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am

Such a sad story. I've read about all sorts of complications, but I've never heard this one. Poor woman.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby patty » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 am

Randy Lane wants people to realize that those risks are real.

“I’m not mad at the surgeon that did it,” he said. “I’m not mad at Vanderbilt. I’m not mad at anybody. This is just something that happened. But there’s got to be a Ph.D. out there that can figure this out.”

How long has it been since Dr. McDougall made a 180 degree turn from Queens Hospital? Dr. McDougall's 300 lb. gorilla transmuted his metabolic fat into service. Justified anger can transmute into health for Randy Lane. His wife's death will help someone put their priorities in place. We are married in our Soul. May his sadness be self-realized of his deep, deep, deep Love for his wife's valued life as humanity.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby scooterpie » Wed May 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Thank you for this Pinkrose, I read the whole article--all I could say to myself was, "Wow!" Who would ever think that this surgery is causing such an outcome for a select (I hope) group of patients. It has to be just an unreal time for this family, so very sad.
scooterpie

Postby scooterpie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:42 am

I was looking for something else on the site and stumbled upon this old thread. I wonder if this genetic rarity is part of the testing before a surgeon performs the surgery today. It says "rare," but if you're the one in a zillion who goes ahead and has gastric bypass and then you end up like this woman--dead--the test has to be considered of SOME value.

The OP's link isn't accessible after all this time, so I wanted to add a link that IS accessible:
Weight-loss surgery triggered rare genetic wasting disorder
scooterpie

Postby dteresa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:27 pm

In the British series Fat Doctors, those bariatric surgeons all agree that morbidly obese people can't lose weight. Patients come to their office and say, "Doctor, I have tried everything, slimming club, commercial programs etc." Nothing works. I always think, no you haven't tried everything. If only you had.

But I do see the problem. Strangers in the Mall where I walk, or the gym, often ask me what I did to lose so much weight. They are really interested. Until I tell them that I eat a whole food plant diet with no added fats, meat, cheese or other dairy or eggs. Works every time I say. You can have rice and corn and potatoes and sweet potatoes an pasta and beans and all kinds of vegies and fruit. And you don't have to ever count calories. And as I am talking you can see their eyes glaze over and waning interest.

Except for my brother. Although it is hard for him if he is out to dinner with a lady, at home he is mostly compliant. And if he isn't, at least he knows he should be. He has told his kids to not send him any food items that they know he loves as presents anymore.

Even kids are now candidates for bariatric surgery.

didi
dteresa

Return to The Lounge