So I've been persuading my dad to eat like the 10 day program.... However the problems I encounter is that if he eats anything with too much fibre (IE whole grains instead of refined grains) or too many vegetables, he runs to the bathroom a lot and feels bad. It seems that the foods he can or can't eat (through trial and error personal experience) are seemingly random, but largely based on fibre being "bad".
All the foods he says are "bad" for him:
- anything whole grain... brown rice, brown pasta is a disaster
- citrus fruits
- artichokes are terrible apparently although he loves them
- raw tomatoes
- spicy foods
- fizzy drinks including even sparkling water
- ice cream
the only foods which are "OK" are:
- white pasta
- white bread
- cooked tomatoes / sauce on the previous two
- cooked spinach
- meat - ham, chicken, beef etc but salami is bad
Can anyone make heads of tails of this and help us out in succeeding on the mcdougall plan? I've already gotten him to give up animal products apart from cheese. But I can't see how giving up cheese will make whole grains suddenly tolerable etc......
Hope someone can help!