Grain and legume free?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Grain and legume free?

Postby LauraW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi. I'm new here. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Health Issues forum. But The Lounge says "If you don't know where else to post, try here", so I decided to "try here", lol.

I would very much like to begin a vegan diet both for my health and because of a concern for animals. However, I've tried before but I've suffered terrible joint pain after only two or three days. I believe that grains and/or legumes might be the cause of my joint inflammation/pain. I read Dr. McDougall's books (12 Days and Maximum Weight Loss) a few years ago and no longer have them in my possession, having loaned them out to friends.

My question is, can I do McDougall without any grains or legumes? Is it possible to thrive on McDougall if my only starches are root vegetables? Does anyone here follow such a diet?

Thank you.
Last edited by LauraW on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LauraW

Re: Grain and legume free?

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Sure--why not? Entire cultures have thrived on potatoes and little else, LOL!

There are several people here who have narrowed their McDougall plan down b/c of inflammatory issues (Burgess, I think, is one of them--if he doesn't see this and respond, do a search on his screenname and PM him for more info). :)

Welcome, and good luck!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby jay kaye » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:00 pm

LauraW wrote:Hi. I'm new here...........

My question is, can I do McDougall without any grains or legumes? Is it possible to thrive on McDougall if my only starches are root vegetables?

Thank you.

Sure you can do it. You just need to find other starches to center your calorie consumptions. That a look at Dr. McDougall's page on "Food Allergies" and the Elimination Diet at this link:http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_allergic.html

j
jay kaye

Postby LauraW » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you, ETeSelle and jay kaye.

I found Burgess and took a look at his blog. His diet sounds like something I should try.

I also looked at Dr. McDougall's elimination diet. With the exception of brown rice, it sounds like a perfect plan.

A little more background...I was suffering from painful joints when a friend recommended the paleo diet. It is a diet based on meat, fat and vegetables but with NO grains or legumes. I tried it and my joint pain disappeared within days. I was thrilled to be pain free, but my conscience was stinging me and I was also worried about the longterm effects of eating so much meat and fat. I then decided to stop the paleo diet and try vegan. My vegan diet was a model of health, lol, consisting of steel cut oats, brown rice, lots of cooked and raw vegetables, fruits and nuts. Unfortunately, my joint pain came roaring back in almost no time at all. I knew then that it was not due to animal products, but to grains, legumes, and/or nuts, or some combination thereof. The foods I ate on my vegan diet are my favorites and it would break my heart to go back to a meat-centric diet.

Then I remembered McDougall, which was starch-based. It seems a little restrictive to me, but I really cannot bring myself to eat a diet of animal products.

I will begin my grain/legume free McDougall diet immediately. I have already put some sweet potatoes in the oven!
LauraW

Postby LauraW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you so much.

I have made sweet potatoes and white rice my main starches and am feeling great, pain-wise. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to continue with McDougall, but thanks to the help I've gotten here I'm doing it. :)

Just one more question. I started having some bloating and gas problems last Friday. Is this a normal transition phase? I'm guessing that I may need some time to acclimate and also to grow the digestive enzymes I'm missing.
LauraW

Postby TerriT » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I used to use Beano some years ago when I lived in the US and found it very effective.

http://www.beanogas.com/About_Products.aspx
TerriT

Postby LauraW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 pm

TerriT wrote:I used to use Beano some years ago when I lived in the US and found it very effective.

http://www.beanogas.com/About_Products.aspx

I will look for it in the store. Thank you. :)
LauraW

Postby goldilocks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Laura, that's so awesome that you are able to make this diet work! A paleo version of McDougall - I love it.

About the gas, did you change anything inbetween? Like adding in a new starch that you didn't eat the first couple weeks?

Also, I don't do well with potatoes. When I have one meal with them, I don't get too much digestive trouble, but when I start eating them day after day, they give me lots of uncomfortable gas and bloating. So it could be something like this at work in your body (it might be a different food than potatoes too). Just a thought.
goldilocks

Postby Donna R » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Laura, thanks for posting the updates! so glad you don't have the pain like you did.

the beano may not be vegan, some isn't. but there are other anti-gas products that are. also you can try digestive enzymes with your meals. or probiotics to build up the good bacteria in your system.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Potatohead » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 pm

My diet is usually starches and veggies and a little bit of fruit...I do not like many grains..I really do not care for beans..and I eat lentils only once in awhile..so in answer to your question..yes..it's possible...grains and legumes are not necessary.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby bluefizzure » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 pm

I am thriving on white rice, potatoes, and steamed veggies. I've always loved potatoes, and apparently they love me. :-)
bluefizzure

Postby dlhanson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 am

DW and I stopped eating legumes a year ago and she went gluten free at the same time due to an autoimmune disease causing kidney damage. She eats gluten free oatmeal and brown rice as her starches. As others have mentioned sweet potato would be a good substitute for the grains.

Her kidney function and anemia have both improved.
dlhanson

Postby shell-belle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:27 pm

LauraW wrote:Thank you so much.

I have made sweet potatoes and white rice my main starches and am feeling great, pain-wise. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to continue with McDougall, but thanks to the help I've gotten here I'm doing it. :)

Just one more question. I started having some bloating and gas problems last Friday. Is this a normal transition phase? I'm guessing that I may need some time to acclimate and also to grow the digestive enzymes I'm missing.

I have not been eating any wheat or barley or oats the last few days and I am taking a probiotic and I feel better. I think maybe I am gluten sensitive. I was eating a LOT of barley, wheatberries and some whole grain bread.

The probiotic I bought was made by Jarrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTMkXc7hqc
shell-belle

Postby merriweather » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 pm

I cannot believe how often I buy things with out reading the lable. You would think I would have learned by now. My Beano says it contains Gelatin, Cod,Flounder, Redfish!! WHAT was I thinking??
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby TerriT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:43 pm

merriweather wrote:I cannot believe how often I buy things with out reading the lable. You would think I would have learned by now. My Beano says it contains Gelatin, Cod,Flounder, Redfish!! WHAT was I thinking??

Looks like I won't be buying any of this on my next trip to the States! For heaven's sake, why do they need all that fish in it?
TerriT

Return to The Lounge