Does Dr McDougall promote white rice?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Does Dr McDougall promote white rice?

Postby scooterpie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 am

“I want to to win the war rather than every battle." --Dr McDougall from Lani Muelrath's blog post re: ASW.
scooterpie

Postby Acura » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

These days it is fashionable to mock starches and or grains. I know there is quite distinction in Dr F and Dr M. One insists focusing on greens, beans and some nuts and seeds, while the other on Starches and include green and fruits on the sideline.

I think there is quite few Fuhrmanite on this forum, Don't you use starches, grains? In your mind you may be limiting it but if you look at it, perhaps most calories in your diet may still come from starches? Granted that you may limit starches and use more greens compare to McDougaller nonetheless majority or close to it calories might come from starches. Is this not true?
CC
Acura

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am

Chimichanga wrote:These days it is fashionable to mock starches and or grains. I know there is quite distinction in Dr F and Dr M. One insists focusing on greens, beans and some nuts and seeds, while the other on Starches and include green and fruits on the sideline.

I think there is quite few Fuhrmanite on this forum, Don't you use starches, grains? In your mind you may be limiting it but if you look at it, perhaps most calories in your diet may still come from starches? Granted that you may limit starches and use more greens compare to McDougaller nonetheless majority or close to it calories might come from starches. Is this not true?

If you look at my notes on the debate, you will see that early on the docs agree to the statement made by Mackey re: most of calories coming from starches. This would almost necessarily be the case, as the caloric density in the starches quickly surpasses that of the high water content veggies. When comparing volume, the answer might be different. But in terms of percentage of calories, 'starch based' would be most accurate.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby patty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 am

Mahalo Lani

I am sure Dr. McDougall's intent of these boards, is a gateway in offering us a way to become socially mature:) We live in a culture that we have allowed ourselves being taken as hostage:) I love how you shared his suggestion of creating our own boundaries.

You are the best, patty
patty

Previous

Return to The Lounge