Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods

Postby rickfm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 am

Just saw this article at Live Science.
http://www.livescience.com/17157-1946-b ... -soup.html

That's a bit disturbing. According to the article...
A 2008 study of 1,455 people showed that higher urinary BPA levels were linked with higher risks of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and abnormal concentrations of certain liver enzymes, even after factors such as age, body mass index and smoking were taken into account.

And other studies have linked BPA levels in a woman's urine during her pregnancy to health problems in her child.

And I just bought six cases of canned beans that were at an all time low price. :confused:

Should we be concerned about this?
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Re: Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am

" BPA was detected in 77 percent of people who ate the fresh soup, and all of the people who ate the canned soup, according to the study."

How can they explain this? Either the "fresh soup" consisted of mostly canned products or BPA is in everything...

I use a lot of canned legumes and studies like this do worry me. Hopefully, manufacturers will stop using bpa in their products and we can avoid these problems.
HealthyMe2010

Postby rickfm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:55 am

It was a limited study. Small group at one school. And the only control was soup given at lunch. There's no telling what the students/staff ate outside of school.

Still, it's a man-made chemical used to prevent rust. Can't be good in any amount.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:18 am

Funny that you posted this.. I just watched an intriguing movie last night called "bag It" all about the plastics in our environment.
They did a whole section on BPA and a different chemical in plastic that gets to us in our food supply.

IT was disturbing. Interestingly that stuff is also in our shampoes and lotions and is readily absorbed through the skin too.
anyway your levels go up and down pretty quicky depending on your amount of consumption.

a link http://bagitmovie.com/

There are some free download links that you can find.. and not sure but it may be on netflixs too.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am

I buy lots of beans and tomatoes in cans. Hmmm... easy change I guess. I will buy bulk beans and soak them and fresh tomatoes. I had read something similar about soup a few weeks ago and stopped my family from eating any more canned soup. I guess I should have thought that one through more carefully... a can is a can is a can. Thank you for posting!!
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby f1jim » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:25 am

We are just at the beginning of learning about BPA. I too hope it's not a serious problem. But we can't always rely on early reports. All it can do is get our attention focused and follow the progress. Many such red flags have come down the pike and turned out to be meaningless. Others not so. We need solid data.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby sweetfruitlover » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 am

Eden canned beans (and probably their other canned products) contain no BPA, so I only buy those kind. They're organic, no salt, and delicious. Their canned beans are the only canned foods I eat, in large part because of this issue.
sweetfruitlover

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 am

sweetfruitlover wrote:Eden canned beans (and probably their other canned products) contain no BPA, so I only buy those kind. They're organic, no salt, and delicious. Their canned beans are the only canned foods I eat, in large part because of this issue.

Me too. I occasionaly eat something else, but most of my beans are Eden Foods and I get the Pomi no salt added tomatoes (in the vacuum cardboard box thingy).
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby rickfm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Sadly, the price of Eden Organic stuff is up to three times that of the local brand I buy. :(

I should probably start getting bulk dry beans and cook my own. It's just that cans are so very convenient. I can't imagine trying to replace all the cans of tomatoes I use with fresh.

Then again... a few years ago I would never have imagined myself eating nothing but plants. :D
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 pm

I guess those of us who stock up food for emergencies will survive a zombie attack, but will be axed by eating too much BPA - much like early explorers and iron poisoning from their canned food.
HealthyMe2010

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Here is a good article that I found. It gives specifics about different companies. I bought S&W today because I needed the convenience of canned tomatoes, otherwise they spoil before I can use them. I think I will grow lots of tomatoes in my garden next year and can them myself. I know my mom used to can tomatoes when I was growing up. Anyway... I thought S&W might be okay but they have trace amounts. But there are brands that are BPA Free according to the article.

http://organicgrace.com/node/316
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby afreespirit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm

I quit using canned tomatoes some time ago due to this well-known issue. I always cook my beans from dry. I do use a little tomato paste from cans, as a soup base. It is available in non-canned forms, but pretty expensive.

What perhaps is not so generally known is that most cash register receipts are loaded with BPA, far more than is in cans. It was found that store checkers who handle this kind of receipt (and most of them are this kind) have very high levels of BPA. It is suggested that one not accept the receipts, or handle them with a paper towel and not allow them to touch your clothes, wallet, etc. I suppose one could have a dedicated envelope for receipts. Also, do not dispose of BPA receipts in the recycling so they are not put back into the chain--although not sure how much better just throwing them away is. Seems like a real problem to me and one that won't be confronted for who knows how long, if ever. :(

Along these same lines, I never heat or store any food in plastic containers, even BPA-free ones. I used to consider such caution paranoia, but no more.

Not sure how great the Eden canned beans are, as Jeff Novick has reported that due to kombu being used in the beans the iodine content is unacceptably high--see his forum.
afreespirit

Postby Concerned » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:28 pm

You can cook beans in a slow cooker and then freeze them in one cup bags. It is cheaper than canned, but you need a little freezer space.
Concerned

Postby rickfm » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:42 pm

HealthyMe2010 wrote:I guess those of us who stock up food for emergencies will survive a zombie attack, but will be axed by eating too much BPA - much like early explorers and iron poisoning from their canned food.

LOL @ zombies. We're all doomed, no matter what!

That's part of the reason I bought six cases of canned beans, I've been reading up on, and feeling the need for, some "prepping." Cans are an easy way to get started. Not so sure anymore.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Potatohead » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Don't you know that if you cross the street on Tuesday you will get a giant wart on your left foot. :roll: ..Sorry... being sarcastic here....I don't worry about that stuff ...because at some point along the way there is probably contamination in everything we eat...I am still here..so I am just not going to worry about it ;)
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Next

Return to The Lounge