Flu Shots

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Flu Shots

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:33 am

I went to the doctor's yesterday and she talked me into getting a combined flu and pneumonia shot. I am sick as a dog today. Not only is my arm red and swollen, but it hurts like hades. I also have a headache, chills and generally feel bad and achey all over. The odd thing is that several years ago I asked if she would give me a flu shot and she said no. So maybe some drug company is pushing their product through my doctor. Anyway, I don't think I will get one again. The only reason I have gotten them is because 35 years ago I got a really bad case of the flu and was really sick for 2 weeks. However, there are so many strains of flu, you could get a flu shot and still get some other type of flu, so I think I will just take my chances.
Gramma Jackie

Re: Flu Shots

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:11 am

One of my wifes friends recently got the combo vaccine done for her young daughter and she began throwing up and having flu-like symptoms.

They called Tele-health Canada and were told that its not a reaction to the shot...

This raised a flag for me. If nurses arent reporting these reactions back to the Government or whatever health body looks after these things, then the "numbers" these doctors and drug makers are giving out as risks are MUCH lower than reality. This is a concern as most people are told that the risks of getting these shots is very low and I dont buy that anymore.
HealthyMe2010

Postby blondie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:33 am

Aww, sorry you're feeling bad Gramma Jackie! The last (only) time I had a flu shot I had 103 fever the next day and felt awful. "They" say that I must have been sick to begin with, but I will never take another flu shot.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby janluvs2heel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:35 am

One of my friends recently had the flu shot & the next day she was walking down her hallway & all of a sudden got very dizzy & light headed & nauseous. The room was spinning even though she was just lying there. It lasted over 2 hrs. And she has no hbp, not taking any meds, etc. Sort of points to the flu shot. Wonder if she will do it again?

I have not done a flu shot in years. I do get the flu on occassion, I think the last time was in 2001 maybe. So think I will pass.

Hope you are feeling better soon, GJ.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby LauraA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am

I do the flu shot each year, and started because of my elderly mother (she's no longer living). It has been reported that the very elderly are not helped as much by the shot as younger people, and I could have exposed her. Anyway, I never have any reaction. This year, about a week after my flu shot, I got a pneumonia shot and a shingles shot on the same day, in the same arm. I've never had a reaction to any shot in my like - even all of the shots needed for the travel that I do in Africa. Anyway, the next day I got dizzy and light headed at a fair. It was a warm day. I posted about it, and wondered if I had too little salt ( I'm strict MWL, and don't even like salt) or if my BP was too low. I also mentioned that maybe the shots were a cause. The next day my arm hurt very much, and I had read blotches all around the injection site. From looking it up on line, I tend to blame the shingles shot. My mom was once very ill with shingles, so I wanted that shot. Anyway, I'm fine now, but do think that the shot is what caused my problems at the fair. So sorry, Jackie, for your reaction!! Take care, Laura
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Cherry Tomato » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 am

Flu shots have been a big topic in our house because my husband is a radiologic technologist in a hospital, and they have been on his case to get a flu shot, which he has declined. He has to sign something stating that he has refused the shot, and the cheerleader for flu shots asked him "What will you do if they make it mandatory, as many other local hospitals have already done?"

Good question ... according to what we have read on the internet, hospitals can get away with requiring their employees to get these shots or else face termination. I am hoping they do not implement this requirement, because he needs his job and I don't know what we will do.
Cherry Tomato

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am

I'm leery about flu shots, kind o' like I am about the meat and dairy sections of the grocery store. If egg protein and gelatin isn't healthy to eat, why would it be healthy to shoot it into your body?

http://drtenpenny.com/the_truth_about_the_flu_Shot.aspx

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Who benefits from people's fear of contracting the flu? Do you trust them? Is the risk of a bad reaction worth it? Only you can decide.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 am

REgarding the shots and reactions.

I am allergic to Thermerosol.. THe preservative they use in the shots so until recently I could not get the shots.

and the two I had gotten years ago before I knew I was allergic to this made me sick the next day too. (cold/flu like symptoms including a fever)

They do have a thermerosol free one now.. and I got that one this year and did not get sick from teh shot.

I took it because I am volunteering at the local hospital so lots mroe contact with germs and people.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Still sick and getting sicker. I've been sleeping off and on all day, something I never do since I got a CPAP machine. I usually can't even go to sleep during the day even if I want to, but I sleep like a baby at night. I was in pain from my arm all night, because of pain in my arm. Then I woke up and took some aspirin. That's the only thing that helps with my fever and aches. I am groggy and miserable. I also think the shots might have eggs in them since they asked if I was allergic to eggs. Anyway, I haven't felt this bad since I had that very hard case of flu 30 years ago I told you about and THAT was what I was trying to avoid. :angry: I'm feeling very nauseous now, so I am going back to bed with a bucket. I just hope I am over this by tomorrow.
Gramma Jackie

Postby LauraA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Oh my goodness, so sorry! Feel better soon. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Also, I tend to agree that flu shots are probably not good. I just often end up caring for young children and sometimes older people, and just keep thinking that I don't want to get the flu (though I've never had it)! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby surrealchereal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Sorry to hear you're sick Gramma Jackie. I wonder if you caught something while you were out getting your shot. It can only protect you after you've had time to make antibodies.

I get a flu shot ever year (and I have for years). I did notice that my arm was warm and swollen where I got my shot this year but nothing major.
It also had protection from the H1N1 virus in it too. I feel fine.

The virus in a flu shot is dead isn't it? Your body doesn't know that, but it can't make you sick, is how I understand it.
surrealchereal

Postby ruupyet » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I really struggle with my beliefs on the flu shot. I have always been opposed to them for healthy individuals. I understand a certain segment of the population that may benefit from them but I don't get why a health person that might get the flu once every 10 years needs one?

Having said that, my DD (now 16) seemed to catch everything and ALWAYS seemed to catch a flu type bug every year. She would end up with a high fever, chills, aches and pains, no appetite, horribly stuffy, cough, and it would last for two weeks. Two years ago, after careful consideration, I decided to have her get the flu shot. For the first winter in her life, she not only didn't get the flu, she only had one cold and it was very minor compared to past colds. She got the shot again last winter with the same results.

Is it the flu shot? Or maybe her immune system finally kicked in? I hate putting what I view as poison into her system but I have to admit that it is nice having a kid that isn't sick 1/2 the winter. She hasn't received the shot yet as I am still pondering it. Should we tempt fate? I hate making "mom" decisions sometimes! :?
ruupyet

Postby surrealchereal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I didn't become a believer until I got the flu 3 times- the first time I was so sick I didn't know who I was for over a week. The 2nd time I was in bed a week and it felt like a day and the very next year I got it again and I was really sick.

I just decided I just didn't want to get the flu again and started getting shots yearly. I haven't had the flu since and I really like that. :)
surrealchereal

Postby eri » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 pm

The flu shot contains a dead virus. It cannot make you sick. A lot more people are allergic to those preservatives than they realize. It also takes two weeks to form the flu antibodies so you can very well catch the flu in that time.
eri

Next

Return to The Lounge