Feeling Cold

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Feeling Cold

Postby ruupyet » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Kime wrote:I find that eating this way, you have to dress warmer. Dr. McDougall lives in a warm climate and never seems to comment on this factor.

Just dress warmer.

Hasn't worked for us. We live in FL and we are colder now than we were when we lived up north (and ate food that was much higher in fat). I am not complaining. I would rather be cold, put on extra clothes and be healthy than eat crap and be warm. I am just happy to know that we aren't the only ones to notice this.
ruupyet

Postby bebe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 pm

I find wearing a scarf on or around my neck is helpful, both indoors and out.
bebe

Postby Lynn M » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:26 pm

My accupuncturist told me that me being so cold all the time was an indication of not getting enough protein in my diet. He suggested an extra serving or two (1/4 to 1/2 cup of beans, tofu, tempeh, etc.)

I have noticed on the days I have lentil or other bean soups I am warmer.

So, until this cold snap ends...more bean soups for me!
Lynn M

Postby Potatohead » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Lynn M wrote:My accupuncturist told me that me being so cold all the time was an indication of not getting enough protein in my diet. He suggested an extra serving or two (1/4 to 1/2 cup of beans, tofu, tempeh, etc.)

Thats interesting, I tend to lean heavy on potatoes and rice, and veggies...I only eat beans, and lentils once in awhile....HE might be on to something :-)
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby janluvs2heel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Potatohead wrote:
Lynn M wrote:My accupuncturist told me that me being so cold all the time was an indication of not getting enough protein in my diet. He suggested an extra serving or two (1/4 to 1/2 cup of beans, tofu, tempeh, etc.)

Thats interesting, I tend to lean heavy on potatoes and rice, and veggies...I only eat beans, and lentils once in awhile....HE might be on to something :-)

I will look into that for sure. The sun did come out today around 2, still pretty chilly but I think the sun is coming back again for the next few days. That can warm up anybody.

Thanks for all the responses. I am still cold, but I will hang in there.

Jan

PS I only live a few hours from Santa Rosa, actually it is warmer here overall than it is there. Especially in the summer.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby greentea » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:48 pm

My observation has been that feeling cold is a girl thing. All the ladies I know are usually cold, except the menopause ladies who are warm. Most guys I know are furnaces. I could have 2 comforters and a hot water bottle , and my partner with just a sheet is still too hot! :eek:
greentea

Postby fussit » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:15 pm

I also have been wondering why am I so cold..Good to hear it is normal.. I'm always burning up.. so this is strange but good.. Oh I've been peeking in lately reading everybody"s post an stuff.. and it is because of you guys that I am where I am..Road to wellness thank you :)
fussit

Postby Birdy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm

One thing that really helped me this past week was buying some expensive socks called Smart Socks (about $18 a pair and available at REI and Columbia) that are made with wool and thermal fibers and are thick. It's the first time my feet haven't been cold in weeks. Also, I think grandma's advice about wearing hats in cold weather is true. It keeps your body heat in and can be worn indoors as well as outside. Exercise definitely increases circulation and warms you up.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby frozenveg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 am

I've always been cold, even when I was the Cheeseburger queen, so I can't tell if I'm cold-er!!!

Everyone who isn't cold is trying to tell me it's because I've lost so much weight, but seriously, I have always been cold. I love this way of eating mainly because cooked comfort foods are such a big, allowed--nay--encouraged--part of it!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Well, I read somewhere that having RH factor blood causes those people to be more cold natured. Have no idea if it is true but I have a daughter who is RH negative and she is always freezing. Of course she only weighs about 98 lbs too. :D
noelalexis2000

Postby washbear » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm usually cold for the first few days of starting the MWL program, then I'm ok. Skinny people tend to get colder easier than overweight ones, I found. I think it's just because they're missing all that extra fat.
"I'll be Pavlov, you be the dog." --William Stafford
washbear

Postby wendysmiling » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 pm

I have freeze flashes instead of hot flashes since starting. It can bs almost painful. But as I get thinner that makes it mostly all better. Hope it normalizes.
WendySmiling :-)
Dec 2000 - 250
Dec 2004 - 125
Dec 2009 - 200 (cortisone therapy)
Dec 2010 - 165
MAY 2011 - 150
May 2012 - 150
11/18/12 - 160 - Goal 120
45-41-42-36
wendysmiling

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm

It's interesting how different we all are. I never had hot flashes during peri-menopause and I have never noticed being either cold blooded or hot blooded. I seem to have a high tolerance for both. I have people who come into my store sweating and ask me if I am hot. I'm usually comfortable. Not good since you don't want to be hot trying on clothes so I always during down the air. We are one of the few here who don't use air conditioning in the mountains and you would think we are freaks but why waste your money. A fan works pretty well for me. As far as being cold. I'm okay unless it gets in the 20's or is windy and cold. Otherwise I don't mind it so much.
noelalexis2000

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:13 pm

noelalexis2000 wrote:Well, I read somewhere that having RH factor blood causes those people to be more cold natured. Have no idea if it is true but I have a daughter who is RH negative and she is always freezing. Of course she only weighs about 98 lbs too. :D

Now that is interesting. I am a negative and also cold often. If I move a lot then I stay warm. I also have a couple fingers that go numb (pins and needles feeling) and turn white at the tips when they get below a certain temp. I always dress in layers.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:18 pm

i am O positive and freezing! I went out for the day with a friend last week and her son turned on the heat in the van so we would be comfortable and she turned it down! I about froze..... :D
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge