Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

Postby bookpondsky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:12 am

I need to lose 100 pounds, and have been attempting to follow ETL. It is just so difficult to do! Is Dr. Mcdougall's plan any easier to adapt?
bookpondsky

Re: Eat to Live is driving me crazy!

Postby f1jim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:48 am

Depends on your issue. What was it about ETL that you found difficult to stay with? We have several former ETL folks here(where are you Nancy?) that struggled following Fuhrman but seem to do well here. So more details please. We can probably help.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby bookpondsky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for your reply. I did not mind the smoothies, easy to make and packed full of nutrients. I was not comfortable with the amount of time to prepare all the dishes, not enough grains.
bookpondsky

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:12 am

Start here:

http://drmcdougall.com/free.html

Believe me, this does not have to be difficult.
nomikins

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 am

I have gone both ways and I think that for most, just going in off of SAD, McDougall diet would be more palatable and 'easier', love those starches!!! Having done both I can't say that one really takes less cooking/prep time than the other, it just depends on what specifically you eat within that diets parameters. Being basically lazy, I tend to simplify to the extreme. For ETL I have large container of cooked beans in fridge, for McDougall, a large container of cooked grain (either one or a mixture that I cook up once or twice a week ). Some of that gets tossed in a pot w/ chopped mixed veg and some herbs/spices for flavor variety, a little water, and lightly cooked. From there to a bowl and directly to my mouth. ETL I also throw a few raw nuts/seeds on top at the end. My other meal is all of that in the blender (for ETL) for "blended salad"

Ends up about the same amount of time and effort either way. At least it seems so to me.

Each diet seems to work better for some, either in terms of lab test results or in terms of enjoyment and compliance. Both diets/websites have tons of recipes on them and those do take a lot of time to prepare but I only use those on rare occasion to stave off boredom. Mostly I just go w/ the simple, most basic: some nonstarchy veg, either starchy veg/grains or beans, a little flax/nuts/seeds.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Chumly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Jeff Novick has a DVD called "Fast Food" that is available at vegsource.com that may help you. It has recipes that will fit both programs and are quick and inexpensive.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Nettie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

bookpondsky wrote:I need to lose 100 pounds, and have been attempting to follow ETL. It is just so difficult to do! Is Dr. Mcdougall's plan any easier to adapt?

I simply could not follow ETL. Too many salads, and I was hungry all the time.

McDougall is much more satisfying, and I lost all the weight I wanted to.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:53 pm

f1jim wrote:Depends on your issue. What was it about ETL that you found difficult to stay with? We have several former ETL folks here(where are you Nancy?) that struggled following Fuhrman but seem to do well here. So more details please. We can probably help.
f1jim

I'm here....just was out all day. I couldn't follow all the salads and veggies that had to be stored in an rv. I still like smoothies occasionally...and I mean really occasionally. Right now it is cold and hot oatmeal is what I do.
When is summer coming again???? As I get older, just not as hungry as I used to be so I do eat less. Most nights I eat very little. Breakfast when I finally wake up is good, and then a big lunch, then not much for dinner most nights. I usually have brown rice and many frozen veggies in the freezer which I didn't use to have so it works for me.....I have one shelf in the rv refrigerator for veggies and I couldn't possible store that much and have it still work....pm me anytime!
ncyg46

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Nettie, if you were hungry all the time you weren't eating enough! ETL in that way is exactly like McDougall, only its beans instead of starches.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Nettie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Nettie, if you were hungry all the time you weren't eating enough! ETL in that way is exactly like McDougall, only its beans instead of starches.

You could be right, I suppose. This was years ago, and perhaps I didn't understand his program well enough, or remember it accurately. But I do remember the emphasis on salads, and blended greens (blech!) and nuts. I don't remember a reliance on beans for satiety in his program.

Dr. McDougall just makes more sense to me, and I'm effortlessly satisfied. And, long term, that's important for someone like me that needed to lose over 100 pounds. Appetite satisfaction translates into staying power and long term compliance - and I just wasn't going to make it with ETL.

The McDougall magic phrase for me was "Starch-Based Diet." (Thanks, Clary!) Once I got that concept, everything fell into place and it was easy after that.

Nettie
Last edited by Nettie on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 am

Nettie wrote:The McDougall magic phrase for me was "Starch-Based Diet." (Thanks, Clary!) Once I got that concept, everything fell into place and was it easy after that.

Yup. Really, the fact is that EVERYONE loves carbs b/c we NEED carbs and carbs are GOOD for us. Once you learn to avoid the processed, crappy carbs and focus on the complex, whole carbs, you're golden. And really, anyone who says I can eat all the taters and brown rice I want is my BEST FRIEND!

I Heart Dr. McD!!!! :D
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 am

You could be right, I suppose. This was years ago, and perhaps I didn't understand his program well enough, or remember it accurately. But I do remember the emphasis on salads, and blended greens (blech!) and nuts. I don't remember a reliance on beans for satiety in his program.

Exactly! A basic ETL phrase is "greens and beans", both are unlimited in amount. The blended salad thing is totally optional! Nuts are strictly limited to one ounce per day or even to only 1 Tbs ground flax per day UNLESS you are at healthy weight and need the extra calories to maintain that weight and not lose too much! Beans for satiety are a key part of his diet. Though salads are a biggish deal as he recommends your non-starch veg intake be 1/2 cooked and 1/2 raw. I often mix salad in w/ cooked veg so it is "wilted" and warm but still raw.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby xring » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 pm

ETL can be difficult, especially at first. I've been following it for the past year & a half about 90%. I've lost 70 lbs & have been able to stay off ALL my diabetes medications. The results are encouraging & make it easier.
xring

Postby kirstykay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

debbie wrote:I know nothing about ETL except what has been written here.

So excuse my ignorance, but arent beans also starchy carbs?? I know they are also protein "sources" but I could swear somewhere I read Jeff called them starches as well.

I wondered that too, Debbie.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby f1jim » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Any eating plan that involves major changes from what we are used to is going to involve some effort. Good diets, bad diets, all can be tough transitions for us. We have several former ETL folks here and they say it's easier to stick with McDougall. We have several people doing some combination of both diets here and lean more one way vs the other. I think either program represents light years of progress over the SAD. I'd have no big quarrel with someone that says they follow either program. I do think Dr. McDougalls program might be easier to stick with over the long term but I bet I could make Dr. Fuhrmans program work if I had to. I am very proud we have many people exploring ETL here on our board learning and sharing. It can't hurt to have that input here. With very few exceptions those following ETL are considerate and mindful of what this board represents and a few have PM'd me mentioning what a great resource this completely open and free board is. I agree and welcome them here to discuss and learn the fine points of both programs.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Next

Return to The Lounge