Weight Watchers

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weight Watchers

Postby Gwen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone done Weight Watchers?
I lost a lot a weight a few yrs ago, but now it's creeping up. I thought getting some support by going to weight watcher's meetings would help keep me motivated.
Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen

Re: Weight Watchers

Postby TheGreenBird » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I have done it (a few times) in the past. Both the points program and Core (not sure what it's called now, Filling Foods maybe?) which is more of a whole foods diet than the fake foods the points system preaches.

I'm really not a WW fan - they are big on dairy and "healthy" oils which completely go against McDougall's principles. I honestly don't see how you can do both programs b/c either way you're going to not be following one program, it's just not possible.

If you just want the support that the meetings give (they always drove me ntus b/c I couldn't handle the "look how much of this fake food we can stuff in our faces for so few points omg!!!!!!!!!!!" crap) I would hope that you could find a better support system elsewhere, even on here in the MWL section like Debbie suggested.

Sorry, I just think WW is so bad for the health industry.
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby Katydid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:30 pm

I've done WW on and off over the years. I finally gave it up when I realized I was having to make so many modifications in the program (no meat, no oil, no dairy, core program instead of points) that it became silly for me to spend money on a program I wasn't following. The program I was following was (and remains) the MWL program. I get all the support I need - including a weekly weigh-in - right here. :-D
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:56 pm

I did it, and I lost, so long as I stuck to the program. I did the points. I didn't like the "core" program.

You can do McDougall and points, too, if you like. It would be more restrictive than regular McDougall, and more restrictive than regular WW.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I did weight watchers and lost 60 lbs. Then I got sick because I was eating junk food. The beauty of weight watchers is that you can eat anything (healthy or unhealthy) as long as you count it. That is what I found appealing at the time. Unfortunately, not the best for long-term health. Eating all the "junk" weight watcher foods and doing Atkins is what brought me to where I am now with all kinds of medical issues after a life of yo-yo dieting. :)

Hope you find what works for you. I can say from all my experience that the support on this board is so much more than you will EVER get at a 1/2 hour weight watchers meeting. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Gwen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Where do I get started with support, weigh ins, etc. here?
Has anyone tried locating local McDougallers in their areas?
Gwen
Gwen

Postby jsl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I did WW twice, both times successfully, but always gained it back after I quit counting points. Core made more sense, but I liked points because I could eat junk and get away with it. And with WW, it seemed I was always starving...but hey, I could have ice cream every night ;)

Good luck to you!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 am

Gwen wrote:Where do I get started with support, weigh ins, etc. here?
Gwen

I have felt an incredible amount of support through my journal. You might consider starting one. It is a great way to share your experience, vent about your challenges, and allow people to support what you are doing. Works really well for me. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:55 am

I did WW a few times. The last time was probably in 1982, but I was successful in losing weight, got my 16 wk. pin. But what I didn't like was coming to the meetings & sitting there while they called your name if you had lost weight. So if you didn't lose weight, even if it wasn't because you ate off plan, it made you feel so guilty, at least it did me. Sometimes of course, I should feel guilty. But that being said, I always seemed to go off for good when that would happen. One of the reasons why I dont Journal in here, or post my weight loss every week. I just feel too much pressure & it reminds me of those days.
The 1st time I did WW, it was the original plan. It was much stricter, it is pretty easy to eat whatever you want, as long as you count it in. So I agree, it isn't that healthy anymore. But some people need that accountability I guess & to be able to be told, eat it, it is legal on WW. :lol: :lol:
Jan
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby frozenveg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

As to finding local McDougallers, I think that's a slim chance! There really aren't that many of us altogether! If you have a Whole Foods anywhere nearby, you might check that, because my DIL, who works for them in Colorado, says that they send their employees, free, to a McDougall immersion program as part of their wellness program. So you might find some employees who are McDougalling.

I also agree with the other posters--I have found great support on this discussion board. I guess it depends on what kind of support you want, of course. I did Weight Watchers even earlier than janluvs2heel, back in 1975!!! Even then, I was appalled that you couldn't eat whole wheat bread, only white and rye! It was never good nutrition.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

Gwen wrote:Where do I get started with support, weigh ins, etc. here?
Gwen

Yes! Quite successfully. We have a very active group in the San Francisco Bay Area, and a number of us right in Pacifica.

You should add your geographical location to your profile so we can all see it and find you.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby merriweather » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:13 am

I did weight watchers back with the original book. No rice. odd recipes with white bread wet down into some thing else. Don't remember it all, but it was odd.
Then over the years I tried, but did not like having to make a meeting, or having to pay if I missed one. Then realized the magazines were so full of pictures of unhealthy food. I don't know. Plus lots of the ready made stuff seemed pretty high on sugar for a diabetic.
I was off line for almost two weeks. Believe me this is a wonderful support tool.
I don't weigh in, because that seemed to stress me. But There is so much help here. AND NO FEES.
I do have a piggy bank saving for my trip to Santa Rosa. Gonna take a lot of pennies, but one by one they add up
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:27 am

frozenveg wrote: I did Weight Watchers even earlier than janluvs2heel, back in 1975!!! Even then, I was appalled that you couldn't eat whole wheat bread, only white and rye! It was never good nutrition.

frozenveg-I did my original time with WW in 1973, about 2 months after Debbie was born. I kind of was doing it before she was born, but not as a member & not as strict. Remember, they kept it all a secret, no online stuff, books, etc. back then. I did buy the magazine & you could glean alot from that as far as recipes, etc. My final time was 1982 & that is when I really got it right, can't remember how much weight I lost, of course I didn't get down to my goal but I still did well. I was also only 32 back then, so weight came off a lot faster than it does now. But I feel better now. I think in my 30's, I felt good, going into my 40's, felt ok, but as I got closer to my 50s & beyond, not so good. Of course by then I was doing lots of low carbing. My diet is so much different now than it was then, that's for sure.

Jan
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:26 pm

One thing I've found is you get out of any program what you put in. It depends upon what you are after to if WW would help or not.

cons - they are still promoting two teaspoons of 'healthy oil'. I ignore it and do sprinkle a little ground flax on my oatmeal.

They also suggest so many servings of protein, which I ignore since i know everything whole has protein.

They promote so many servings of dairy - again I ignore that.

It costs money.

Pros and these are all what I needed personally, you may not. I had been 'trying' to mcdougall for several years. I totally believe in mcd too but I would feel so miserable when I'd fail that I'd binge on the worst possible crap. I am an emotional eater also. Believe me rice doesn't help me when I am feeling down.

WW put a cap on how much I could eat each day. Normally I ate the WW suggested whole grains and vegetables and fruits. But during this jouney if I wanted whatever junky I would eat it, but I'd count for it. That helped me break a very serious binge cycle I was in for a long time.

So WW did help me. I don't think the program is all that bad and certainly a huge improvement over the SAD food. All meetings have a subject of the week but he leaders can do with as they please. My leader does not promote the WW junk food. It is there for those that need it. Have I bought it, yes over the past five years I have in situations where I felt I could do worse harm to myself (like vacation).

The more I've gone along the path the cleaner my diet as became. I am not a perfect mcdougaller but it keeps getting better. I was a better mcdougaller with WW than I was on my own. I needed some restraints at that time.

So I'm still in as I got my Mom in WW. She has increased her veggies and now eats whole rice, and loves fruit for breakfast. So she's improved too.

BTW I was able to continue this through a holidays, a bad car accident and the slight depression that follows that, and many vacations. I am working on my final few pounds. I'm down 80+. Yes it took me a while. I'm a hard nut to crack. But I always keep my signature line in my head as that is what I set out to do in the beginning.
sorry for any typos.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby CJJ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I have done WW a couple of times. That said, it would be hard to go to meetings and listen to their agenda while eating the McDougall way. They promote dairy, meats, oils and what WE would consider junk food. They do have a vegetarian 'plan' but I never felt it was given much attention.

You CAN go to the WW discussion boards and read from those on the program. They probably even have a vegan/vegetarian board (they used to anyway). Unless you join you can't post.

There is a lot of support here if you want it. Of course it isn't face to face.
CJJ

Next

Return to The Lounge