shampoo

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

shampoo

Postby Quinda » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 am

On e-how.com I just read about Kenra and Enjoy shampoo being more healthy for hair and why. Then I looked up the ingredients in Kenya just to check and it seemed to contradict what the article said so I suppose it was just an ad for them. Kenya ingredients include sulfate according to the source I found.

What is a good shampoo? If anyone here has ever found a good one, please let me know. Thanks for any input from anyone because I have never used one more than a few times that made me happy.
Quinda

Re: shampoo

Postby sksamboots » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 am

http://www.griffinremedy.com/

this is a good shampoo and a lot of other great products.
sksamboots

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:07 pm

I use J.A.S.O.N. baby shampoo, and dilute it by 50%. Shampoo once or twice a week, with fresh water rinsing in between.

Went for months, over the winter, without using shampoo at all, just rinsing with fresh water and once or twice a week, using vinegar diluted to get all residue off. My hair tends to be oily, so I finally decided to use a natural shampoo when needed.

I also don't use soap on my skin. Because I'm not eating animal products, my body odor is nil, naturally. My skin feels SO GOOD, and I'm leaving the natural oils that are needed for interaction with UV rays from the sun, in order to make my own Vitamin D.

anyway, J.A.S.O.N. shampoo is a good, natural brand. Burt's Bees is good, too.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby eaufraiche703 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm

several of us here went on a no 'poo routine, like buns of aluminum mentioned. here's a thread

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13166

every once in a while, i'll use a bit of dr bronner's soap or some burt's bees shampoo (not strictly vegan, but neither is Dr McD) it does a great job.... i use henna, so hair is in fantastic condition and doesn't need much...
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Pinto » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Quinda,

I just changed to Renpure shampoo and love it. A little goes a long way and it really leaves my hair soft. It has no sulfates, parabens or colors and dyes. I bought it at Walgreens.
Here is the web site. http://www.renpure.com/
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Pinto

Postby StephORama » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:19 am

I use Modern Organic Products (mop) because that's why my stylist uses, and she is all knowing and wise. My hair is very fussy, and she knows how to deal with it. I've been happy with all their products I've tried so far.

http://www.mopproducts.com/
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waiEwXI/]
[/url]

Eatin' Vegan in the City of Cows: http://vegfortworth.com
StephORama

Postby bob2200 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:39 am

I've been using a brand called "Peter Lamas", which was recommended by the people who run Vegsource.com. The one I've been using is the Chinese Herbs stimulating shampoo. Expensive, but very concentrated, so 250 ml will last a long time.
bob2200

Postby Quinda » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Thank you so much for the information. I'll have to give that a try.
Quinda

Postby Concerned » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Does showering (w soap) daily interfere with vitamin D ?
Concerned

Postby Kyon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:20 pm

I remember being told I did not have dandruff but dry scalp because of the sodium lauryl sulfate. The hairdresser then recommended Enjoy, no more flakes! Right now I am using Wen, just not excited about the results myself though. I want to try using no shampoo but my hair gets all gross if I don't wash it and I have to work with patients. May give it another try with the bicarbonate and apple cider vinegar
Kyon

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Concerned wrote:Does showering (w soap) daily interfere with vitamin D ?

I don't know if there are any studies (more than likely, there are) but it seems common sense to me, that our skin's natural oils are there for reason. Using soaps takes the oils away, leaving the skin without a built in element that could well be essential for optimal health.

Try taking a shower without soap. See what your skin feels like afterwards. I LOVED that first time. It's not easy to describe, but I felt clean and refreshed and so GOOD all over my whole skin. Haven't soaped myself in more than a year...not going to, either.

I will use a tiny amount of my diluted shampoo on armpits, to shave. that's about it. ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Maryt54 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 pm

For bunsofaluminum:

I was wondering if you use any lotion on your skin? I've been trying the showering without soap and my skin also feels good but my legs are still so dry. I'm 56 so it may be a lost cause. Just would like to know if you use any lotion.
Maryt54

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:26 pm

maryt, I do use lotion on my legs. The skin on the fronts, on my shins, gets dry and itchy. After every shower, I put some natural lotion on, like J.A.S.O.N. or Alba, and just a tiny dab on my face and throat. My face feels really dry if I don't do that.

But I don't use anything on my skin that has petroleum based products, if I can help it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Kyon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I used the baking soda and apple cider vinegar today, so far it seems fine. Will see how it holds up after sleeping and tomorrow. I am trying to stop washing my hair every day; going to try every other day and then decrease to 1-2x a week.
Kyon

Postby Daffodil » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:03 am

I go as long as I can without washing my hair. Up to 3-4 days, depending on the weather. I can do this better in the winter. In the summer, it's every other day or 3 times a week.
I started doing this because shampoo-ing my hair too frequently caused my scalp to itch most of the time.

I'm still just using natural shampoo's, but they last much longer now. And now that the hairdresser messed up my hair and went way too short(while visiting in Utah 2 weeks ago) so now I use even less shampoo.

On city-data.com, in one of the many hundreds of forums for all over the country and world, there are threads in there in the hair/frugal section where people actually cut their own hair to save money. I tried doing that once and really messed it up worse than that Utah hairdresser. Some things we aren't good at, we should just leave it alone.
:|
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Next

Return to The Lounge